Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those P-38's look like a bugger to fly. I wonder what the pilots thought of them? They really are a beautiful design, just based on the looks.
The pilots in the Pacific Theater liked them because over long stretches of open ocean the twin engines gave them a greater chance if their plane got hit.
It was a group of P-38's that ambushed and shot down Admiral Yamamoto, the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack.

British troops eating their Christmas dinner in a shell hole in Beaumont-Hamel, Somme, France on Christmas Day, 25 December 1916.

troops eating.jpg

USS Kearsarge, 1860s... for those who may not remember. This was a very important ship for two reasons... One, i believe it was the first ship supplied with the Dahlgren rifled naval guns (see below).

Two, the Kearsarge sank the CSS Alabama at the battle of Cherbourg. The Alabama was the terror of the sea for union shipping. Sank or captured 70 union ships in just over 2 years.

The Kearsarge
USS Kearsarge, 1860s.jpg

RDML John Dahlgren: Nov. 13, 1809 – July 12, 1870 “Father of modern naval ordnance”

Founded US Navy Ordnance Department and launched significant advances in naval gunnery — primarily the Dahlgren rifled naval gun.

Dahlgren, from Philadelphia, was the preeminent American naval ordnance designer of his day.

Civil War commandant of Washington Navy Yard. In 1863 he commanded South Atlantic Blockade Squadron, helping William Sherman secure Savannah, Georgia.

Dahlgren’s son, Ulrich, a Union officer famous for reconnaissance in Gettysburg campaign, was killed in an unsuccessful raid to liberate Union prisoners in Richmond in 1864.

Dahlgren’s brother, Brigadier-general Charles Dahlgren, served for the Confederate States, commanding a brigade of Mississippi militia.

— CP

RDML Dahlgren aboard USS Pawnee in 1865

View attachment 119898

Can't imagine how noisy these tanks were. Bet the pigeon couldn't wait to fly anywhere... as long as it was away from the tank.
----------------------------------------------

A messenger pigeon being released from a port hole in the side of a British Mark V tank of the 10th Battalion, Tank Corps. Photograph taken near Albert, France on the 9 August 1918 during the Battle of Amiens (1918).

za A messenger pigeon.jpg

No caption for this one... has to be Vietnam.

----------------------------------------------

Edit, thanks @Neb

On 18 July 1970, a South Vietnamese Air Force (VNAF) UH-1D Huey helicopter hovers above Vietnamese Air Force personnel of the 211th Helicopter Squadron on a combat assault in the Mekong Delta area of Vietnam.

00 mil Vietnam guess .jpg

Last edited:
First and last production models of the Spitfire Mark 1 and Mark 24

I didn't realize they changed so much over time... almost looks like a different plane.

View attachment 123408
Never knew the Spitfire changed like that. Big improvements, much more powerful engine. And the canopy gave much better vision all the way around

found this today, didn't know about this tank.

---------------------------------------------------

Soviet IS-2 heavy tanks near the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany after the fall of Berlin in May 1945.

View attachment 125386
I BELIEVE the US was building tanks for Russia near the end of the war.

Ben

USS Kearsarge, 1860s... for those who may not remember. This was a very important ship for two reasons... One, i believe it was the first ship supplied with the Dahlgren rifled naval guns (see below).

Two, the Kearsarge sank the CSS Alabama at the battle of Cherbourg. The Alabama was the terror of the sea for union shipping. Sank or captured 70 union ships in just over 2 years.

The Kearsarge
View attachment 121942
There was also a USS Kearsarge during the Vietnam War. It was an aircraft carrier that launched a lot of planes 24/7 that drop bombs over there. I was on another ship that refueled ships on Yankee and Dixie Stations (North and South Vietnam).

Latest posts

Back