Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The predassesor to the "Warthog", the AIE Skyraider which saved our bacon more than once in Vietnam.

a A1.jpg

The predassesor to the "Warthog", the AIE Skyraider which saved our bacon more than once in Vietnam.

View attachment 27729

They lost a few over Viet Nam, a cinematic example is Rescue Dawn. The Skyraider was also called the "Flying Dumptruck."

View attachment 27729
Between that, the A10 and Puff there is an unbelievable amount of fire power. That does not even count fast movers and whirly birds.

Is that a British carrier?

Thanks. At first glance it looked a bit skinny and then the jump ramp made me pretty sure. The reason I asked was because the Chinese use jump ramps too.

Thanks. At first glance it looked a bit skinny and then the jump ramp made me pretty sure. The reason I asked was because the Chinese use jump ramps too.
As do the Russians and French. US is the only ones with a true flat top. My guess is we have the highest developed catapult system to be able to launch and land with

We got our catapult from the Brits just before WWII started. I suppose it helps when you have a giant nuclear furnace below decks.. ;)

Thanks Bacpacker. I wonder how many Gs the pilot pulls hitting that ramp. It's got to be at least three even if it is for a fraction of a second.

A little US Navy history… The first successful catapult launch of an US aircraft was from a coal barge in 1912. The first successful catapult launch of an aircraft from a US navy ship while underway happened in 1915.

The first successful launch from a Royal Navy ship didn't occur until 1918.

Up until and through ww2 there was a hodge-podge of catapult systems powered mostly by gunpowder, hydraulics or air pressure used by large navies depending on whether the ship in question was a cruiser, battleship or carrier.

The true steam catapults we think of today on carriers weren’t used until after WW2.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back