Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adderly volunteered for Vietnam in 1966, and served as a Squad Leader with the 502nd Infantry, 101st Airborne Division. Twice wounded, Adderly was awarded the Army Commendation Medal, with V for valor, and Silver Star for gallantry, during this tour.
FB_IMG_1617566988305.jpg

Jim

In April of 2006, Navy Seal Senior Chief Mike Day was shot 27 times by terrorists with AK47, 9MM, and .556 Green Tips taken from a deceased U.S. Green Beret. Shot everywhere on his body but his head; his M4 rifle shot out of his hands, he continued to fight with his Sig 9MM pistol after the pistol grips and his thumb were shot off. With that handleless pistol, he killed the three remaining bad guys... then he walked himself to the Med-Evac helicopter.
Professional athletes shouldn’t be revered as heroes, men like this should be. 💪🏾🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
FB_IMG_1617670117909.jpg

Jim

In April of 2006, Navy Seal Senior Chief Mike Day was shot 27 times by terrorists with AK47, 9MM, and .556 Green Tips taken from a deceased U.S. Green Beret. Shot everywhere on his body but his head; his M4 rifle shot out of his hands, he continued to fight with his Sig 9MM pistol after the pistol grips and his thumb were shot off. With that handleless pistol, he killed the three remaining bad guys... then he walked himself to the Med-Evac helicopter.
Professional athletes shouldn’t be revered as heroes, men like this should be. 💪🏾🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
View attachment 62962

Jim
A little more information on this hero.
Mike Day (Navy SEAL) - EverybodyWiki Bios & Wiki
If you can play ball you can get paid millions and be called a hero. This man is a true hero and he was paid very little for his actions. It just doesn't seem right.

View attachment 62962

Jim

The governmeent made it hard to visit anyone of these men who survived but ill. Down here we tried and they wanted all kinds of info we were not willing to give out.They lie and say its to protect them. So we get to drive by and see the sad men sitting outsie in wheelchairs or seats looking lost.Drivers license should be enough.

The governmeent made it hard to visit anyone of these men who survived but ill. Down here we tried and they wanted all kinds of info we were not willing to give out.They lie and say its to protect them. So we get to drive by and see the sad men sitting outsie in wheelchairs or seats looking lost.Drivers license should be enough.
Seeing anyone wearing the congressional medal of honor brings tears to my eyes.

Ben

Impressive but I have seen the NAVY color guard do better tossing fron the lead of a rank to the end WHILE MARCHING.

Ben
The Navy Color Guard is impressive. Your average everyday sailor, not so much.
A navy formation is 2 or more guys going in the same general direction at about the same time.
I hated marching in Bootcamp. Fortunately, after Bootcamp, I never marched again in the 10 years I was in. I also stood very few formal formations.

The Navy Color Guard is impressive. Your average everyday sailor, not so much.
A navy formation is 2 or more guys going in the same general direction at about the same time.
I hated marching in Bootcamp. Fortunately, after Bootcamp, I never marched again in the 10 years I was in. I also stood very few formal formations.
Ageed.

If one was not on a security alert team one did not touch or qualifying with weapons in the Navy. The weapons support systems and targets were larger.

Ben

Seeing anyone wearing the congressional medal of honor brings tears to my eyes.

Ben
Thats true and I fee sorry for those who can't get over what they saw in combat too. I have known 3 of these and don't know what happened to 2 of them but do know that one killed himsself with a gun.He had been shot both tours went back and got shot to be with hid conrades,but wason heavey drugs from VA and killed himself. He was brother of close friend.

Thats true and I fee sorry for those who can't get over what they saw in combat too. I have known 3 of these and don't know what happened to 2 of them but do know that one killed himsself with a gun.He had been shot both tours went back and got shot to be with hid conrades,but wason heavey drugs from VA and killed himself. He was brother of close friend.
I was a suicide.

But I was caught by God and shown I can be an agent of God.

Doing what I can

Ben

Ageed.

If one was not on a security alert team one did not touch or qualifying with weapons in the Navy. The weapons support systems and targets were larger.
Ben
We went to the MCRD rifle range for 1 day in Bootcamp. No practise before and no instruction at the range other than safety briefing. The Marine DIs just yelled and cussed most of the day. I think 1 guy qualified with an M1 which was all we shot.
They did take 5 of us to the pistol qualification range. The DI put a 1911 in our hand and held onto our hand. He said fire the damn thing. No target to aim at just shoot.
After the 5 of us shot the 7 rounds each the DI said "typical Navy, no one qualified."
I never held a government-issued firearm again except once 8 years later some buddies and I went to the range and shot .45s and .38s just for fun. I did shoot a qualifying score that time.
We didn't need firearms we had Grunts for close work, and bombs, missiles and 20mm cannons on aircraft for long-range work.

I was one of them grunts.

Jim
I know and thank you.
You were an Army grunt, our grunts were Marines and they guarded the Navy base gates, provided armed security on ships, guarded the Captain, and worked in the Brig.
They also provided days of amusement watching them all try to climb a rope in the hanger deck. The first time they tried it there was only 1 Marine that could get to the top, the Marine Captain in charge of the detachment.
Needless to say, he was not happy with his people. They climbed that rope every day until every man in the unit made it to the top in the allotted time.
They all cheered and hoo-rawed when they all did it. Then their Captain said now we do it in full combat gear. That took another 2 weeks before they all made it.
Navy guys would sit in chairs and cheer them on but not in a nice way.
Several Marines took offence to that but their Captain said they deserved the razzing. Interservice rivalry at its best.

We went to the MCRD rifle range for 1 day in Bootcamp. No practise before and no instruction at the range other than safety briefing.

I never held a government-issued firearm again except once 8 years later some buddies and I went to the range and shot .45s and .38s just for fun. I did shoot a qualifying score that time.

Things were a bit different for me. Once aboard a destroyer only those of us with security clearances were assigned to weapons handling teams, guard forces, stood internal shipboard watches while armed, had access to missile magazines etc. Everyone assigned to such duty had to qualify on small arms each year. One XO insisted on twice yearly. He even sent us to the special warfare range at Little Creek amphib base for even more weapons training. At sea we all had to fire the .50cal... Now that was fun!
------------------------------------------------------

Navy Color Guard… We had a kid assigned to our ship from some kind of color guard team in DC. He was sent to DC right out of boot camp. I know for a time he was on the team at Arlington for burials but he mentioned other duties and occasions at places like the Lincoln Memorial. While at this duty station his every need was looked after.

They had their own laundry/dry cleaning service, got money for new uniforms/clothes monthly. He said they even had a service that shined their shoes... Ate at a special dining facility and received money daily for food at high priced DC locations. This duty assignment was far beyond any cushy assignment I’d ever heard of…

After 2 years he came to our ship, a real duty station on a real ship. In short life on a ship was a reality check he couldn't cash. He did not adjust at all. He lasted about 6 weeks, there were several incidents (temper tantrums). Finally one night while I was on duty I had to disarm him, he'd sharpened a screw driver into a weapon and was threatening to hurt himself.

Very quickly and quietly he got an admin discharge. He was gone in 2 days.

Last edited:
Yesterday an old video of the “Challenger Shuttle” explosion in ’86 was posted on another social media platform. Brought back a flood of memories for me. I watched the launch on tv, saw the explosion. We were underway in 15 minutes, already on a deployment. I don’t know what “flank speed” was for my ship but I’m sure I saw it that day. We were moving!!! I’d never seen that kind of speed even during engineering qualifications.

We were at the debris field in just a few hours and took up station. A frigate got there before us, along with a Russian sub. Ships continued to arrive through out the afternoon and evening, ships out of Mayport FL. a couple of our subs. The frigates and smaller Coast Guard vessels kept “looky lou’s” (civilians) out of the area. Another destroyer and my destroyer… and our subs played “gotcha” with the Russians for the next 3 days. The cold war was still going then.

I stood a few watches in CIC at a missile console, the really strange part were all the unidentified targets we were told to ignore. Several vessels and aircraft were working the debris field but were not identified in any manner. Always wondered who they were, and what exactly they were doing.

Anyway… just a memory, and after so many years it's fuzzy.

I'm hesitant to post this, found elsewhere, so if it's false please delete.

Evidently there is an underwater flag that's changed every 3 years in Pearl Harbor. I can find nothing to corroborate this event, no ship or structure mentioned. Only the following caption.

A diver at Pearl Harbor dives every three years to replace this Flag.

underwater flag Pearl H.jpg

Back