Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angles  (1).jpg

CF9F3570-8395-4BF1-A1DB-BD24213CD50F.jpeg

LST-325 as it passed Louisville on a Sunday morning in 2003. Its home port is Evansville, Indiana.

From Wikipedia
LST-325 was launched on 27 October 1942 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and commissioned on 1 February 1943 under Lt. Ira Ehrensall, USNR.[3] The ship operated in the North Africa area and participated in the invasions at Gela, Sicily and Salerno, Italy. On 6 June 1944, LST-325 was part of the largest armada in history by participating in the Normandy Landings at Omaha Beach. She carried 59 vehicles, 30 officers and a total of 396 enlisted men on that first trip. On her first trip back to England from France, LST-325transported 38 casualties back to a friendly port.[4] Over the next nine months, Navy records show LST-325 made more than 40 trips across the English Channel, carrying thousands of men and pieces of equipment needed by troops to successfully complete the liberation of Europe. The ship continued to run supply trips between England and France before returning to the United States in May 1945.[5] LST-325was decommissioned on 2 July 1946, at Green Cove Springs, Florida, and laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.

I found this today, it had been misfiled. Anyway, I was on this ship 4 years and the day this photo was taken, 1986. I remember docking in NY city. It was St Patrick's week, parades, a lot of fun. I went up the Empire state building. Some of the guys said the twin towers building was a pain to go up and no fun so I didn't go. Sort of wished I had now.

This was a DD class of Destroyer, designed for one thing. To hunt russian subs.

Briscoe 1986.jpg

They were correct about the WTC. Stood in line for an hour and had to pay. The rudest people I have ever met were working there. We even got to go out on the rooftop. There was a chainlink enclosed walkway surrounded by razor wire so you would have had a very difficult time getting to the edge to jump.
I was scared out of my mind the whole time. I have a fear of heights but let myself get talked into going up.
But I can say I was there.

Latest posts

Back