Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That weapon system was the Phalanx CIWS (close in weapon system, pronounced Cwiz)… That was official… It fires 20mm depleted uranium rounds… Another tracking weapon system I worked on could track individual rounds going outbound.

However, Cwiz was called a very different name by weapon system guys like me…

It was called R2 or R2D2 or R2 with a H****. I’ll leave the last name to your imagination… ;) Minion is also perfect.

R2.jpg

Ahhh! Isn't that cute! Little red handled brackets to help the guy in the middle or top rack climb up or down... pampered %$#!

The old way out of the top rack was to slide out and hope you didn't land on someone. To climb up... you were on your own! What ever it took. :)

Lower ranking guys who couldn't afford an apartment lived in those racks year round. (rack... another word for bunk)

Last edited:
Those are very nice. I lived in one of them for 10 months that wasn't that new.
I lived in much worse for 7 months.
USS Coral Sea CVA43 the berthing looked like this and there was a steam pipe that ran through the compartment. The temps could get well over 100°.
850racks.jpg

The best air show I have ever seen was when they dropped live ordnance. They started off with small practice bombs and worked up to 4 A6s flying wingtip to wingtip dropping 1000 pounders in low-level formation. A string of 1000 pound bombs from 4 aircraft make a big splash and the concussion could be felt even from the several miles the carrier was from them.
A flight of F4 at full power traveling at under 1000 feet and breaking the sound barrier still gives me goosebumps.
The flight deck picnic, later on, was pretty good too.

Back