Military Pictures & Info

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threetango

~~~Top~~~
Neighbor
a badass a.png

The Navy has ships. The Marine Corps has gun ships. ;)

Here's a photo of aircraft similar to what I worked on when in the Marines. (AH-1 Cobras and UH-1 Hueys).

162555_1.jpg

There is a fair amount of history in the Marine Corp Hynmm. A really interesting story about fighting the Barbary Pirates who we still fight today.
Washington was paying ransom to the pirates but Jefferson said no more and created the Navy and Marines. If I remember correctly.

That's part of their history but not the beginning. The Marines were formed in 1775, making them older than our actual Country. Their first amphibious assault was in 1776 where they attacked the British in the Bahamas. The Barbary Coast/Tripoli battle was in 1805 and yes, it was ordered by Jefferson.

That's part of their history but not the beginning. The Marines were formed in 1775, making them older than our actual Country. Their first amphibious assault was in 1776 where they attacked the British in the Bahamas. The Barbary Coast/Tripoli battle was in 1805 and yes, it was ordered by Jefferson.

The U.S.Navy was was created by Jefferson, right ?

Washington created the Continental Navy in 1775 and it did it's job during the revolutionary war. The navy was then pretty much shut down for about 10 years. When the aforementioned Barbary war started, the Navy was re-established under Jefferson. I had to look up but they are using 1775 as the Navy birth date. Per Wikipedia "In 1972, the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, authorized the Navy to celebrate its birthday on 13 October to honor the establishment of the Continental Navy in 1775."

Washington created the Continental Navy in 1775 and it did it's job during the revolutionary war. The navy was then pretty much shut down for about 10 years. When the aforementioned Barbary war started, the Navy was re-established under Jefferson. I had to look up but they are using 1775 as the Navy birth date. Per Wikipedia "In 1972, the Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Elmo Zumwalt, authorized the Navy to celebrate its birthday on 13 October to honor the establishment of the Continental Navy in 1775."

So we already had a navy just not global till Jefferson, but Jefferson didn't create the navy just built it back up. Thanks Zoom.

So many years , and you never forget,
Smell of Napalm, and death...

Jim

:heart::huggs:or the looks on the faces of those who went as kids and came back as kids severely injured.
In war you are a different person and if only some vets could accept that we wouldn't have so many committing suicide now. They were not themselves in war.

Back