Millions in Mexico City set to go without water for days

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Millions in Mexico City set to go without water for days
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ity-set-to-go-without-water-for-days-10884932

MEXICO CITY: Millions of people in Mexico City are set to be without water for at least four days as authorities undertake maintenance work on one of the major supply systems.

Half of the capital's eight million population are expected to be affected, with a further three million people from the neighboring State of Mexico also impacted.

Authorities are preparing for the huge challenge by employing tanker trucks to supply strategic areas such as schools, hospitals and prisons.

Mexico City is one of the largest metropolises in the world. The supply cut is due to start on Wednesday and last until Saturday, although the system won't return to full capacity until Nov 8.

Maintenance will be carried out on the Cutzamala engineering works that provide part of the city's water supply from Michoacan state to the west of the capital.

Authorities have asked citizens to save water and only use it in moderation during the shortage days.
"What we need is to take extreme care of the water, don't wash clothes, bathe using a small bucket," said Mexico City's water system director, Ramon Aguirre.

"Those with the economic means should buy disposable dishes and cups, take care of the water usage.

"We should not exaggerate the sense of crisis or catastrophe, we must simply prepare ourselves," Aguirre told reporters.

For some people, water shortages are nothing new, though.

The Iztapalapa neighborhood, one of the poorest in Mexico City with a population of 1.8 million people, is the worst affected by shortages and many of its citizens are used to receiving their supplies from tanker trucks.

And it's not confined to that one area, either. Of the 2.5 million homes in the city, almost 569,000 don't receive water on a daily basis, while 45,950 have no running water at all.

Mexico City's water tables, built on the swamps of the old Aztec capital Tenochtitlan, have been exploited for decades causing certain areas of the city to sink by between two and 30 centimeters (0.8 to 12 inches) a year.

Some estimates also claim that 40 per cent of the city's water is lost in leaks.

I'd get out now! I've been to Mexico City and that place is a cr@p hole with water. I was never more happy to get home then when I went there many years ago.

Their water was sketchy as heck when I was there, so they may do just fine with it. We did NOT drink the water. I hope they are prepared and hope they get the system back up as expected for the sake of their citizens.

I'm happy that at the very least the had a warning of the water being down for a few days so they can at least try and get some barrels or pails or whatever they can of water.

I'm happy that at the very least the had a warning of the water being down for a few days so they can at least try and get some barrels or pails or whatever they can of water.
I know a large extended family who came to the U.S. many years ago from Mexico. They lived in the mountains and then moved to the city. I have heard that they built themselves a shack that they lived in from found materials. I wonder how many people live like that in Mexico City? My guess is that there are many. Have the very poor received the news? Do you they have any means to store enough for a few days?

I know a large extended family who came to the U.S. many years ago from Mexico. They lived in the mountains and then moved to the city. I have heard that they built themselves a shack that they lived in from found materials. I wonder how many people live like that in Mexico City? My guess is that there are many. Have the very poor received the news? Do you they have any means to store enough for a few days?
Unfortunately I can't even make a educated guess on how the people in Mexico city live, my dad might, he frequently goes to Mexico (not the city) for winter. He is there now until spring sometime.

Mexico City is also known for unbreathable air at times, because it's so polluted.
I had a discussion with someone about this a couple decades ago. Evidently it has some of the worst pollution in the world. At one point in time as they were trying to come up with solutions to the pollution, an idea was floated that included using several very large fans pointed up into the atmosphere to take the pollution out and up. Then we all could have shared in that pollution!

Flight, I live in the US and I was not trying to be nice. If Mexico had an armpit it would be in Mexico City. I am sure they are used to it.

When I was there it was gross just walking down the sidewalk. There was trash everywhere and "fluids" running down the roads all the time. It literally stunk everytime you walked outside. It was gross and I always felt dirty. I can think of absolutely NO reason to ever go back there. However, I'm glad I went. It really makes me appreciate what we have here. In fact, I think every kid should have a week's stay in a place like that before they graduate! American kids would be much more appreciative of their lifestyles for sure!

Latest posts

Back