Mom Fell

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
She was bending over to pick up something and lost her balance. She didn't get hurt but couldn't get up. I could use some ideas on how she can contact me when I'm in another part of the house. Thanks.

a whistle may be a good start.

a whistle may be a good start.
+1
We have them hanging everywhere! They are cheap and they always work.
Keeping the MIL rightside-up is an ongoing struggle.
(and it only gets worse)
FIL departed as the result of a fall (and complications):(.
My dad did too.
It is a much bigger danger for elderly than people realize.

Last edited:
We got my mom a device that hooks into the phone line. She wears the transmitter around her neck and the receiver is at the wall phone. She hits the button, it calls my dad's cell. If he doesn't answer in 4 rings, it calls my brother's cell. If he doesn't answer it calls 911. The whole shebang cost $235 but there's no monthly payment, it's a one time payout. We like it because she doesn't need 24/7 supervision.

FIL departed as the result of a fall (and complications):(.
My dad did too.
It is a much bigger danger for elderly than people realize.
A lot of us responsible retired-people find ourselves in the role of 'in-house' caregivers for parents.
I will warn everybody that I will get on a soapbox and hijack the thread to wail about everything that can/must be done to mitigate the potentials of falls for elderly, unless y'all don't want me to.

I have wireless door bells set up for my wife. I put 4 ringers in several location including at the back door, in the basement, in the garage.... I set the push buttons next to her chair, in her bathroom, in the kitchen.......
I'm almost almost always home when she is awake and can respond when I hear the bells..... I hate it when the bell is just to ask, "What are you doing?"

Wife ordered a whistle and a key finder. The SIL will get a panic button for around her neck. One or more of those will work for her. We'll be looking into a walker for her but if she continues to pick up lint from the floor the walker won't help much. Looking forward to the tips to help keep her upright. My MIL fell while in the hospital and that was the end of it a few days later.

My mom has lost her balance, too a few times, but nothing real serious too.
Am laughing about the lint on the floor, because my mom will fixate on it, and also have to bend down and pick it up. Walkers are great, but she won't use one. The best we can do that she agrees to is that her apartment has pull cord alarms in each room that will alert the assisted living staff. If you're in the house with her, I'd start with a simple whistle.

Any kind of lanyard around the neck should be a BREAKAWAY lanyard. If the device you choose has a cord but it is not breakaway, cut the cord and "repair" it with a piece of scotch tape. The scotch tape will give up hits hold and act as a breakaway should a strangulation situation come about (like getting the cord hooked on something as you fall). Or you could put the whistle on a short cord (no loop) and clip the non-whistle end to a shirt collar. The cord would be long enough to reach your mouth, but not long enough to go around your neck.

I like the simple whistle over the more complex electronic gadgets. An electronic gadget needs to have a helper person with a receiver. A whistle could potentially be heard by anybody - including a neighbor or someone walking their dog down the street.

Ditto on glad she wasn't hurt. Has to be scary feeling helpless like that. I would highly recommend the Fox 40 Classic whistle. I believe you can get them at Wally World for about $5.00. It is plastic, and pealess (is that a word?) and there are none better.

Prayers Caribou.

Latest posts

Back