Morels?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Occasionally we've had morels growing on our property, once when I brought home a bunch of old 2"X6" planks from the high school football stadium seats and another time when I had stacked some old rotting lumber by a raised bed, what spores were left never produced the following year. A lot of the time mushrooms are frequently found where a lot of oak is growing.

Grew up picking morels, but don’t have any on my property. I’ve read about folks being able to plant spores and harvest…anyone have experience with this?
There were people at the Mother Earth News convention some years ago selling kits to grow your own. I don't have their info handy but Dr Google found this.

https://m.bonanza.com/listings/Morel-Mushroom-Spore-Grow-Kit/1035758225?goog_pla=1
Be sure to use new wood that has not been tainted with other fungus and keep the wood moist.

It may have been Johnies Select seeds that sold plugs that you could bore a hole in a log and insert the plugs.

Ben

Im not discouraging anyone, I get morels from my property as well, def convenient to come home from work and see em 15’ away but how many could a spawn kit produce if you tried one? I’d think you’d still need other places anyhow.

@Ozarks hillbilly , my husband had purchased some mushroom kits and grew a good sized Reishi indoors. I wish I would have been able to keep up with it. If you’ve done your homework you’ll probably be able to get a nice returning crop.
If you need another resource or two for purchasing more mushroom kits, etc, let me know. I can scrounge up the company names. I think one of them was in Tennessee.

I've seen spores for sale on Etsy of all places...
Actually, I've had very good luck with nursery specimens off of Etsy, but I'm unfamiliar will the mushroom spore sellers.

I'm really interested in your results!

Last edited:
Am I the only dyslexic member who sees this thread title and automatically think it is a discussion concerning morale's ?
The first time i ignored it, the second time i opened the thread. and was confused as to what exactly a morel is. The third time I laughed at myself but dog gone it, I want to discuss morale issues because of this title. does that make me morel or immoral ?

Am I the only dyslexic member who sees this thread title and automatically think it is a discussion concerning morale's ?
The first time i ignored it, the second time i opened the thread. and was confused as to what exactly a morel is. The third time I laughed at myself but dog gone it, I want to discuss morale issues because of this title. does that make me morel or immoral ?
It's so inhumane to eat morels. Those who eat them must be thoughtless savages 😂

They are starting in the Ozarks took a short jaunt around the place yesterday and found a couple. After all this rain they should be plentiful.

Attachments

• 2D00D25D-6DEB-41E7-A8E3-34E277C38ACD.jpeg
    2D00D25D-6DEB-41E7-A8E3-34E277C38ACD.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 9
  • A0323B72-9614-4223-9950-168EC6C44948.jpeg
    A0323B72-9614-4223-9950-168EC6C44948.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 7
It's been cool here, the ground temp isn't up to snuff yet. I know a few have found a couple, but not patches. I love hitting a spot and look around and see 50 of them. :p

We do have morels this far north in the province.... The problem is there seems to be a very short window of time you can find them.. A window of time like a week or less it seems...

Ours start out black, then to a gray color then tan and finally blonde. Season starts here as soon as the ground temps come up a bit, usually mid April and run through Mother's Day most years.

Look around old stands of Poplar as well.

I have thousands of acres of state land around me and a good bit of it in certain areas are old homesteads, as the families died off or moved away the state acquired the land. I like going to the areas where all of the old homesteads were because they all had fruit trees, these little buggers like popping up around dead fruit trees, and a lot around dead elms when the bark has fallen to the ground..

Back