Most essential items in your home you couldnt live without

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pragmatically speaking The necessities of life never change.
Air
Shelter
Water
Food
good company - mental, physical and emotional companionship.

What I want would add to that list but it is not necessary for a good life.

Practically speaking, and I wish it weren't so, high up on the list is a computer with internet connection. Like it or not, tell me this isn't true for most people here (paradox: you wouldn't be able to tell me that you didn't want a computer unless you had one)

While we could survive without these, how many here would actually want to? Refrigerator/freezer. Stovetop. Oven. Washing machine/dryer. Lamps/lights. Automobile. Flush toilet (and toilet paper for that matter). Computer. Some method of cooling (A/C, swamp cooler, fans). Some method of heat (furnace, wood burning stove). Cellphone. The point is, you could survive without these things, but with maybe a few rare exceptions (mostly for religious reasons), I would question the truthfulness of someone who told me they didn't make use of, and want, these modern conveniences.

Haertig: Maybe I just answered the question more literally. " what are the most important essential items in your home you absolutely could not live without ??? "

I agree with your assessment. I love the computer. I love the TV. I love all of the modern conveniences we have, but I would hope I could live without them.

Interesting which direction our minds go. After reading the other answers, food (oh yea!). But other than the necessities of survival, the first thing that came to mind was cast iron. I can cook, heat water, bail water, wash clothes etc. A pot is one of the most versatile things.

Most essiential items in your home you couldnt live without
Beer.
And something to keep it cold!
Toast.gif

Food and water in one can.:p

Original poster, Mamabear89, a new member, posted a few similar questions. It happens sometimes that people want to make sure they don't miss anything. This is a new member who posted these questions and was last seen on September 21. She has 10 comments on the forum. I try not to be the troll, and to be kind, and that is why I often do not answer these kinds of questions. I think, with a little searching, the answers are out there many times and in many places. I always wonder if the people who ask these kinds of questions have done any other research or not? If so, why ask that question here? If not, why ask that question here and then disappear and not interact? It is one thing to post these questions, which many of us do from time to time, but then stay in contact and conversation with those who have taken the effort to respond. It is another thing to post a question and then ghost the people who have made an effort to respond and help. Just saying.

Original poster, Mamabear89, a new member, posted a few similar questions. It happens sometimes that people want to make sure they don't miss anything. This is a new member who posted these questions and was last seen on September 21. She has 10 comments on the forum. I try not to be the troll, and to be kind, and that is why I often do not answer these kinds of questions. I think, with a little searching, the answers are out there many times and in many places. I always wonder if the people who ask these kinds of questions have done any other research or not? If so, why ask that question here? If not, why ask that question here and then disappear and not interact? It is one thing to post these questions, which many of us do from time to time, but then stay in contact and conversation with those who have taken the effort to respond. It is another thing to post a question and then ghost the people who have made an effort to respond and help. Just saying.
Weedy,
I don't think you're being a "troll" or anything.
I have notice several things recently.
Some individuals only make few posts never to be heard from again.
Or they like stirring the pot so to speak on several forums.
Then they move on to the next new forum.
Hence why I go back through and reread forums.
Someone's introduction that should have been there but wasn't and the last time I check still wasn't there.
But that individual haven't been here for at least a few days.
Tank Girl made the same type of comment on different individual.
"Poof" that individual disappeared too.

Original poster, Mamabear89, a new member, po...

s? If not, why ask that question here and then disappear and not interact? It is one thing to post these questions, which many of us do from time to time, but then stay in contact and conversation with those who have taken the effort to respond. It is another thing to post a question and then ghost the people who have made an effort to respond and help. Just saying.

Not everyone is a social animal. I used to call them Prowlers lurking in the shadows, watching but not coming out in the open.

Re: the answers
The e-mail notifications includes the replies. No need to come back to the forum.

Think back to when were in school. How many of the students spoke out? From my experience it was a small fraction. For my part I used to torture my teachers with questions and comments.

Just my 2 cents

Ben

And toilet paper...
Yes, I do not get fake news anymore, so only seed catologs.
I buy TP every time I go to the store, so I have months of paper.
I have been told if you go with a bidet, you will never go back.

Not everyone is a social animal. I used to call them Prowlers lurking in the shadows, watching but not coming out in the open.

Re: the answers
The e-mail notifications includes the replies. No need to come back to the forum.

Think back to when were in school. How many of the students spoke out? From my experience it was a small fraction. For my part I used to torture my teachers with questions and comments.

Just my 2 cents

Ben
You can customize your settings so you don’t get the emails of every post. I have mine set so I get a summary each morning of which threads have new posts. (I don’t like email clutter either, but that’s another thread.)😂

Living in Alaska, the true essential is my wood stove. I have to have it for heat and I could cook with it year round.

poor mans bidet. is the garden hose and a large section of indoor/outdoor carpet to drag yourself across .it can be cleaned where real grass wears out....snort !!

When we first moved to our homestead, we had no electricity of any kind ( it was an Amish house ) for about 2-3 months. We had only cold water, washed clothes by hand and dried them on the line, no internet, a gas camping stove to cook on only and LED battery lights at night. It was summer so no heat was needed at the time but there was a wood stove in the house. We survived just fine but we did have Iphones and made trips to Mcdonalds to sit there and use the free internet when we needed to get online to order something or look something up. I would say honestly say THE hardest thing was lack of refrigeration for food. I know some people are fine just eating canned stuff but we like fresh food and spent a lot of money on ice for the coolers. So other than food ( and water) I would say refrigeration would be the thing I can't do without. We now have solar panels ( and some electricity) and a wood cook stove that also heats water, plus satellite internet that sucks , and a lot of extension cords all over the place to run things like the washing machine ( plus generators for backup)

poor mans bidet. is the garden hose and a large section of indoor/outdoor carpet to drag yourself across .it can be cleaned where real grass wears out....snort !!

One old neighbor ( Amish) told me they used to use comphrey leaves instead of toilet paper when she was a kid. We have a ton of that stuff growing, I keep pulling it up, and the outhouse to go with it

Latest posts

Back