Most unusual item that you have in your preps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. lightbulb I'm not that bright. I had to write it down, and make a special trip just for that. Luckily the hardware store is close.
I just don't remember stuff like this unless it is in my view or sometimes my need. But I have had preparedness items that were on a list that I went shopping for.

I have about 10 of these. Emergency escape respirators. The tank empties in about 15 minutes but it's enough to get you out of a dangerous situation.

20200217_142205.jpg

Unusual stuff:

Several platters from inside a dead hard drive. These things are super polished shiny and would make good signal mirrors (I have an official signal mirror too). I also have the magnets from inside the dead harddrive as well. These are most certainly macho magnets - if you need to attach something to a metal panel these babies will do so almost permanently. Just do not get the edge of your finger between two of these magnets. They will clamp down on you like a crazed alligator and pinch the heck out of the skin on that finger.

I have almost 100 new empty mylar wine bags. They were to use for wine in a box and hold 2.5 liters if I remember correctly. They have a removable spout that turns to open and close. When you pop the spout off the hole is about 1 inch so you can put different things in them then pop the spout back on. I have some filled with water that has been on the shelf for several years and the water still tastes like it did the day I bagged it.
I bought them from someone in Idaho (?) that was on the other forum site.

I have almost 100 new empty mylar wine bags. They were to use for wine in a box and hold 2.5 liters if I remember correctly. They have a removable spout that turns to open and close. When you pop the spout off the hole is about 1 inch so you can put different things in them then pop the spout back on. I have some filled with water that has been on the shelf for several years and the water still tastes like it did the day I bagged it.
I bought them from someone in Idaho (?) that was on the other forum site.

Could turn out to be a great barter item. One of the main "C's" is Container.

A valve stem core tool. I got one decades ago and its saved lots of cash through the years. For instance you have a tire with a slow leak and the tire guy can't find it? It's not the tire, it's the little air valve in the stem that's leaking. Its barely an inch long and small enough to fit inside the stem on a tire. It's used to remove or install a valve core. I keep it in a container of specialty automotive tools inside my main tool bag.

Sort of funny, decades ago I shared a townhouse with a navy buddy. It had assigned parking. A lady visiting her BFF kept parking in my roommate's spot. She wouldn't stop when requested. He didn't slash her tires. Instead he borrowed my core tool. A couple of flat tires later and she stopped parking in his spot. He just removed the valve stem core, the tire wasn't damaged. She just had to go through the annoyance of changing the tire, taking it to a shop who replaced the valve core and aired it up.

I thought... in a bug out situation you might not want people following you... such a tool might come in handy. Especially if you wished to double back and "acquire" that vehicle later.

I guess it would be in the garden, hugelkulture mound you don't have to fertilize or water and hydroponics you do have to fertilize and of course in water but don't use much water.

Latest posts

Back