Mountain House freeze dried Pad Thai with Chicken review

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Hopefully this is the best section to put this review. A year or so ago I bought a single pouch of the Mountain House Pad Thai with Chicken on a whim and it has set on a shelf almost forgotten. Yesterday for lunch I looked in the fridge and didn’t see any leftovers, so I decided to make the Mountain House Pad Thai. I followed the preparations instructions exactly, and of course those were simple and easy. Pour in boiling water to the pouch, stir, reseal and let it sit for a specified time, open and stir again, reseal, and let it sit for another specified time. Then open and eat from the pouch.

Short Review: The general texture and taste was passable as Pad Thai. Certainly not restaurant quality. The noodles were chopped too short and it was a bit on the sweet of the sweet/sour spectrum. The chicken was a bit chewy but okay. After adding some crushed red pepper for heat it was good to eat. It was the perfect amount for a lunch for me. If I was doing a serious hike or eating it trying to survive the apocalypse, it would just barely do as a full meal.

I rate my long term food storage items by comparing it to Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Why Dinty Moore Beef Stew? It’s what we ate on occasion as kids when we went camping or if there was nothing else to eat in the house. This is where I learned the value of Tabasco sauce! Dinty Moore is a C- in my book. I don’t stock Dinty Moore in my preps, but if hungry I would be happy to have it. Taste wise the Pad Thai was a C, so a bit better than Dinty Moore. Would I stock the Pad Thai? No. They currently only sell in the individual pouches or in packs of six, both for about $10 a meal. Its way too expensive for my purposes to store as a prep. Unfortunate, as it is a bit better than Dinty Moore beef stew and a good diversion from the normal things I store.

1634500577947.png

Calories/Per Pouch490
Total Fat14g / 18%
Saturated Fat2g / 10%
Trans Fat0g / 0%
Cholesterol40mg / 13%
Sodium1120mg / 49%
Carbohydrate70g / 25%
Dietary Fiber3g / 11%
Total Sugars13g
Incl. Added Sugars9g / 18%
Protein20g / 18%

Last edited:
I understand freeze dried food and why we have it. I have some. I love Pad Thai and used to eat it frequently before I ate low carb for a few years. Since daughter has celiac, I have stockpiled rice noodles for homemade pho and pad thai.
I decided to look for a pad thai recipe online, thinking about the ingredients for food storage.

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/wprm_print/18063Pad Thai

This amazing Pad Thai recipe is easy, approachable and can be made in under 30 minutes, fresh ingredients and a delicious homemade pad thai sauce.

Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Thai

Servings: 4

Calories: 596kcal

Author: Lauren Allen

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces flat rice noodles
  • 3 Tablespoons oil
  • 3 cloves garlic , minced
  • 8 ounces uncooked shrimp, chicken, or extra-firm tofu , cut into small pieces
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
  • 1 red bell pepper , thinly sliced
  • 3 green onions , chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
  • 2 limes
  • 1/2 cup Fresh cilantro , chopped
For the Pad Thai sauce:
  • 3 Tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 5 Tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar * see note
  • 1 Tablespoon Sriracha hot sauce , or more, to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter , optional
Instructions
  • Cook noodles according to package instructions, just until tender. Rinse under cold water.
  • Mix the sauce ingredients together. Set aside.
  • Heat 1½ tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan or wok over medium-high heat.
  • Add the shrimp, chicken or tofu, garlic and bell pepper. The shrimp will cook quickly, about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until pink. If using chicken, cook until just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes, flipping only once.
  • Push everything to the side of the pan. Add a little more oil and add the beaten eggs. Scramble the eggs, breaking them into small pieces with a spatula as they cook.
  • Add noodles, sauce, bean sprouts and peanuts to the pan (reserving some peanuts for topping at the end). Toss everything to combine.
  • Top with green onions, extra peanuts, cilantro and lime wedges. Serve immediately!
Notes
To use tamarind paste in the sauce, substitute 2 Tablespoons in place of the vinegar.
Nutrition
Calories: 596kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 224mg | Sodium: 1991mg | Potassium: 454mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1290IU | Vitamin C: 58.8mg | Calcium: 158mg | Iron: 3.4mg

Good review AJ. I've never tried the Pad Thai before. I do have several meals on hand, primarily to use as a quick and easy meal to eat during a bug out. Light weight and easy to deal with. They aren't cheap. I have used them sometimes backpacking.
Last couple I had were the Beef Stroganhoff and Chicken and Dumplins. Reasonably filling and I've ate worse to. I'd give both a solid C.

I just noticed that the mountain house pad Thai is the Amazon deal of the day with 20% off.

Latest posts

Back