Mouse in the house... and he doesn't like peanut butter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some things you might find interesting:
Bug and mice deterrents and poisons:

1. Peppermint oil
Add peppermint oil to your cleaner and it will get rid of mice and rats.

2. Basil
Lemon basil and cinnamon basil repel mosquitoes.

3. Lavender
The scent of lavender repels mosquitoes, flies, fleas and moths. Use a drop on your wrist and neck as mosquito repellent.

4. Catnip

It repels ants, mice and mosquitoes. Just plant some in your garden and grow some indoors (unless you have cats.

5. Rosemary
Deters flies and mosquitoes. Make scented water by heating the herb in boiling water. Remove from the heat and add a little cold water and sprinkle a little ground rosemary on top. Keep it in your fridge for a few days and then strain some of the water into a spray bottle to use as a repellent where the bugs can get into your space.

6. Eucalyptus essential oil
This will keep spiders away. Use a few drops on a cotton ball and place one where you have problems.

7. Baking soda
Mix baking soda to sugar in about equal volume. Have a water dish close and it will kill roaches and other persistent insect pests – ants, flies and others. don’t use it outside because you might kill honey bees.

8. Marigold
The flower repels mosquitoes and flies.

9. Borax
Kills ants, roaches, termites, spiders and mold. For insects and spiders use a little honey mixed with it. To kill mold use it on moist surfaces as a scouring powder. Leave the residue unless the area is frequented by pets or children. To protect them just rub the white powder off with a damp cloth. Do not rinse!

I got Jack Russell crossed with Beagle named Strawberry.
I have no snakes, voles,moles,in the yard and no mice in the house.
One of the cutest dogs I see at the dog park is part Jack Russell. She must weigh less than 10 pounds, and runs faster than any other dog. The bigger dogs love to chase her, and the dogs who are bullies (not bully breeds) like to bully her. I have seen her jump, with her teeth showing, at the dogs who are bullying her. Her name is Jitterbug.

44106502_10156993249144260_8677391786982768640_n (1).jpg
One of the cutest dogs I see at the dog park is part Jack Russell. She must weigh less than 10 pounds, and runs faster than any other dog. The bigger dogs love to chase her, and the dogs who are bullies (not bully breeds) like to bully her. I have seen her jump, with her teeth showing, at the dogs who are bullying her. Her name is Jitterbug.
Strawberry has the build of Jack Russell.
Sweet as a Beagle, colors of Beagle.
Bark of Jack Russell, goes on point like a Beagle.
She weights 23 pounds.View attachment 9486

Evidently, rodents everywhere are not so interested in peanut butter any more. Are we listening? What does that say about the peanut butter? Is it GMO? What is being added to the peanut butter?

This conversation in a facebook group was pretty entertaining. There were many follow up comments that were entertaining as well.

"Even the mice in Whoville are getting gentrified. I tried to catch one with cheddar cheese, peanut butter, dog food, commercial mouse bait. It seemed that nothing could entice that vermin with discriminating tastes. I grew frustrated as the mouse alluded the glue traps, snap traps, and even a trap that will electrocute the pest. The traps were empty however the signs of mice were very present. But alas I was overthinking it. The mouse just wanted some gourmet cheese. Last night I set a classic snap trap and baited it with brie cheese. When I went to inspect my mouse traps this morning I was expecting the same as previous times but much to my surprise I caught that bast***. I just needed to bait my traps with fine gourmet cheese."

(should be eluded, instead of alluded)

Nice to know about the brie. I may need to purchase some of that stinky stuff. For the rodent.
I have thought the same thing. It is not unusual for us to have some brie, and it is nice to have as an appetizer or with fruit for dessert for nice meals. We have enough of the critters to catch, that I am going to try some myself.

I don't have mice in my house but I do have a resident mouse in my deer stand. I know she has at least one baby this year. Yesterday when I walked to my deer stand, I found a 6 foot snake skin shed about 10 yards from my stand. I left the door open for about 30 minutes after getting in stand in case he was in my stand and one of us needed a quick exit. Never saw snake but little mouse did run across the sill of the window and I knocked it off and outside. My stand has a false floor to raise me up to be able to shoot out the window. No telling what lives under that floor.

I know from experience - DON'T use D-con, Tomcat, or other poisons in your house. It will stink, and stink bad, no matter what anyone says. They don't dehydrate, don't dissolve internally, and don't leave to get water. When the poison starts hurting them, they crawl into secluded spots, die, and stink. Only use the poison if you've got them bad. It's better to put up with the stink for a while, than have the filthy vermin running around your house...

I don't have mice in my house but I do have a resident mouse in my deer stand. I know she has at least one baby this year. Yesterday when I walked to my deer stand, I found a 6 foot snake skin shed about 10 yards from my stand. I left the door open for about 30 minutes after getting in stand in case he was in my stand and one of us needed a quick exit. Never saw snake but little mouse did run across the sill of the window and I knocked it off and outside. My stand has a false floor to raise me up to be able to shoot out the window. No telling what lives under that floor.
I would be terrified at the idea of what lives under that floor! Yikes!

Now...if you want them dead right now...there is a highly illegal mixture of Golden malrin fly bait, and Pepsi. This kills everything that ingests it, right damn now! Thats why it is so illegal. I may or may not have seen this used to kill raccoons in a sweet corn patch once. The coons may or may not have even gotten their heads out of the bowl they were getting it from, it killed them so fast. This would also kill any pets or desirable critters that ingests it. Extreme discretion would need to be used, to keep it away from kids and pets, and I am NOT recommending it. It's just an idea...

Now...if you want them dead right now...there is a highly illegal mixture of Golden malrin fly bait, and Pepsi. This kills everything that ingests it, right damn now! Thats why it is so illegal. I may or may not have seen this used to kill raccoons in a sweet corn patch once. The coons may or may not have even gotten their heads out of the bowl they were getting it from, it killed them so fast. This would also kill any pets or desirable critters that ingests it. Extreme discretion would need to be used, to keep it away from kids and pets, and I am NOT recommending it. It's just an idea...
How/why is it illegal? Golden Malrin can be purchased easily. Mixing it with Coke or Pepsi is an illegal act?

It’s still legal in Oklahoma. I see it in the farm stories everywhere, but I’m too afraid to use it.

Isn't drinking soda, such as Pepsi, lethal to rodents? Even without the golden malrin? Or is it some other animal that then cannot burp? This is an old, old story, and I forget which animal is supposed to not be able to ingest it.

It’s still legal in Oklahoma. I see it in the farm stories everywhere, but I’m too afraid to use it.
There's nothing wrong with the Golden Malrin. It is an excellent fly killer. Just keep it out of reach of pets and livestock. We are careful to keep it out of the goat and chickens reach. Its awesome stuff. I think He's saying it's illegal to mix with the soda because it makes it palatable to creatures other than flys.

There's nothing wrong with the Golden Malrin. It is an excellent fly killer. Just keep it out of reach of pets and livestock. We are careful to keep it out of the goat and chickens reach. Its awesome stuff. I think He's saying it's illegal to mix with the soda because it makes it palatable to creatures other than flys.
Exactly. If you put it out and your neighbors kid somehow got into it, you'd be in a bad spot. I suppose I should have said, it's highly illegal to use it in this manner.

I don't think it's illegal but as is many things, you're responsible for your actions, especially if you've created an "attractive nuisance". There are many common things that fall under "attractive nuisance". Things like trampolines, pools, tree houses... If you didn't utilize usual and customary protections for these things (like a wall around your pool), you have assumed a degree of liability.

We recently moved into a house that had a community of the little beggars. My mother in law told me what she’s done. Get a cotton ball and put peppermint oil on it. It drives them away. When we moved in, I would wash whatever it was and set a peppermint cotton ball there. Haven’t seen any new “evidence” since then. I use PB on traps out in the garage and in the past 2 mo have gotten 12! I need to paint with peppermint out there

We recently moved into a house that had a community of the little beggars. My mother in law told me what she’s done. Get a cotton ball and put peppermint oil on it. It drives them away. When we moved in, I would wash whatever it was and set a peppermint cotton ball there. Haven’t seen any new “evidence” since then. I use PB on traps out in the garage and in the past 2 mo have gotten 12! I need to paint with peppermint out there

My sister tried that. It didn't work and when she moved we found a mouse nest under her dresser made from the cotton balls.

Latest posts

Back