Mouse Traps

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleech. Stuck with a bucket full of mice. I should try that in my duck and turkey runs. I flood the mouse holes, but ducks and turkeys won't go after mice. My best mousers are my Rhode Island Red hens. The love it when I bring the hose in their run and start flooding out mice. They wait patiently then attack in a flash. Been too cold to run a hose in there, maybe next month.

I felt my stomach react to the thought of catching mice or rats for food. There are probably people who do that. It could be us one day. Stomach is rolling again!
No kidding. If I HAD to, but I'd HAVE to!

Not to be gross but it is a real thing. I saw a documentary where rat catchers work for farmers using smoke to get the rats out of the ground. I think they got $1 or $2 a day and they keep the rats. That is what is for dinner every day. They also get lung disease from breathing the smoke. Under the cast system you are born into you station in life. If your dad was a rat catcher so are you.

Not to be gross but it is a real thing. I saw a documentary where rat catchers work for farmers using smoke to get the rats out of the ground. I think they got $1 or $2 a day and they keep the rats. That is what is for dinner every day. They also get lung disease from breathing the smoke. Under the cast system you are born into you station in life. If your dad was a rat catcher so are you.

I suppose if you grow up eating roasted rats, you won't even get that the rest of the world wretches at the idea. Also, it beats starving to death, maybe.

The eskimos would search for mouse burrows. when they found one they would dig it up and eat the food the mouse had set aside for winter. They would only take about half so the mouse would live to collect food the next year.

During the early '50s Korean war, the dogs went first, then the cats, and then the rats were what was left. I understand that food supply was not used up.
I have heard from people who were stationed there that Korea had quite a struggle with food for a while, maybe some still do. I think this is still very true in North Korea. People walk the countryside looking for what grows that they can eat.

Last edited:
During the early '50s Korean war, the dogs went first, then the cats, and then the rats were what was left. I understand that food supply was not used up.
I remember in the 1970s, hearing that dogs and cats were eaten in Vietnam. I have no idea if there is any truth to that. I was living in Kansas City and a Vietnamese restaurant opened up that my friends wanted to go to. I could only think of eating dog and cat. I never went then. I couldn't. Years later, I was more educated about Vietnamese food, and now I love it.

Dogs are 'cultivated' as a food source in parts of Southeast Asia and nearby islands. Amerinds used to tolerate pariah dogs around their middens, partly because they were a food source when times got hard. "Homo sapiens is an omnivore" is not a statement devoid of meaning.

There was a film in general circulation some decades ago with the title "(something) Mundo". Quite a 'jaw dropper' at the time. Puppies and snakes in cages at the marketplace, stuff like that.

Last edited:
Dogs are 'cultivated' as a food source in parts of Southeast Asia and nearby islands. Amerinds used to tolerate pariah dogs around their middens, partly because they were a food source when times got hard. "Homo sapiens is an omnivore" is not a statement devoid of meaning.

There was a film in general circulation some decades ago with the title "(something) Mundo". Quite a 'jaw dropper' at the time. Puppies and snakes in cages at the marketplace, stuff like that.
Many years ago, my neighbor had a pair of dogs, I am not sure of the breed. Smaller with white fur. One of them died, and for some reason, he decided to give the other one away. He took it to some animal shelter, where he was told that Asians would go and adopt them for food.

Animal adoption fees were raised quite a bit to slow that practice down. The other thing that shelters were aware of was that animals were adopted for the purpose of bait for dog fights and for animal sacrifices. There are some pretty sick people in this world. I would love to see stricter animal cruelty laws with more punishment.

Back