Mr Buddy

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong threat but seemed the closest subject. I did see a few posts related to the Buddy and hoses elsewhere but not entirely my focus.

I learned the hard way that not all Mr. Buddy brand hoses will protect the heater when using bigger LP tanks and longer hoses. Atm it's pretty cold and I have an hour break in the rain (I hope) to fuss with the fuel filter for the Buddy. When I hooked it up originally the filter didn't screw in flush with the Buddy. I was in no mood to risk it and had been out all day in freezing rain. Of course, now I'm right back here with freezing rain but a little more sane atm.

My question is, should the filter be tightened with a wrench to ensure its all the way in? There is a big gap in the Buddy threads to the filter threads. I'm extremely leery of using tools when brass and LP is involved. I will usually soap test and tighten only slightly if needed. I watched some videos on YouTube for the filter install and it seems there is a gap. But I don't want to risk LP leaking inside anywhere near the buddies lit face. YouTube has come back to bite me a few times. I will post a picture of it once I get layered up and out there.

On second thought it's not below freezing at all and the tank seems heavy enough to wait for this afternoon. I will try it our later today when it's a bit more comfortable outside. And I also have this extra large sleeping bag heater. No electricity required

Attachments

• 20220308_085216.jpg
    20220308_085216.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
We used a Mr. Buddy with the hose running out the window to the bottle with no issues. I don't recall having any issues with the filter and hose assembly. It is a good idea to make sure your propane and CO2 detectors are working properly.

If using the heater for anything other than emergency use, I would buy and install a regular non-electric propane heater. Problem solved.

If using the heater for anything other than emergency use, I would buy and install a regular non-electric propane heater. Problem solved.

I'm a little lost. My buddy is a non electric propane heater? It is temporary until hopefully just a couple of weeks this yr. But I want to keep it running for years to come as a back up. 1lbs cans are not worth it at all.

We used a Mr. Buddy with the hose running out the window to the bottle with no issues. I don't recall having any issues with the filter and hose assembly. It is a good idea to make sure your propane and CO2 detectors are working properly.

I've gotten a long hose for the purpose of having the tank outside. Will experiment more with the filter. Thank you!

I'm a little lost. My buddy is a non electric propane heater? It is temporary until hopefully just a couple of weeks this yr. But I want to keep it running for years to come as a back up. 1lbs cans are not worth it at all.
Sometimes the hoses will release small fragments which then plug up things. Obviously in a permanent installation there is no hose used so that problem is gone.
You are correct the two heaters would be very similar.
I have heard about this problem with the Buddy heaters many times so maybe they are a little touchy about perfectly clean fuel. I have used permanently installed gas heaters for many years with zero problems.

Sometimes the hoses will release small fragments which then plug up things. Obviously in a permanent installation there is no hose used so that problem is gone.
You are correct the two heaters would be very similar.
I have heard about this problem with the Buddy heaters many times so maybe they are a little touchy about perfectly clean fuel. I have used permanently installed gas heaters for many years with zero problems.

Definitely something to look into for our home thank you! I didn't realize there was such a thing. :) My family doesn't like LP and doesn't want to have to buy anything if SHTF. But I'm interested in as many different kinds of back ups as possible. Including LP. Sure wood stove, but also genie and LP heaters for when a boar sliced open my leg and it's freezing. Quick heat so I can deal with whatever other mess is happening lol. For now I'm not going to waste any more $ on this rv. Going to live in it while building and hopefully it holds out for me.... maybe turn it into a work truck and gut it.

My LP tank has lasted a lot longer than expected. I will be fussing with the filter today before the freeze tomorrow. HOPEFULLY! let's see how long it takes to haul 3k Lbs of sand across town and unload.

I've used a little buddy heater for years, around the house and in my boat. I've always had it connected to large propane tanks, but I've never had a filter on it. Not sure what its for.
In my pump house I have a thermostatically controlled wall mount propane heater plumbed to a 250 gallon tank. The tank also feeds a 12kw generator to power my well pump.
Our house is heated with wood, but we also have a forced air propane furnace for backup.

My understanding is that propane had some sort of oil that the Mr. Buddy doesn't like.

Reactions: Eli
Just ordered this for emergency heat if grid goes down.
View attachment 82017View attachment 82018
30k btu , $179
12ft hose $35
100lb tank on back porch.
Heater in kitchen 12 ft away.

May even supplement heat pump on nights below 20 deg , seeing as I have 800 lbs of propane stored.

Jim
That looks like the one I'm using in my pump house. Can't tell from this attachment but I'd recommend the model with the thermostat control. The first heater that I installed only had a Low, Medium and High setting and it doesn't shut off. The first night I used it on the Low setting my pump house was 95 degs, and it really sucks up the propane. I swapped it out with one with a thermostat as soon as I could. Now with the thermostat I can keep the pump house at 37-42 degs, even when its below zero outside.

Last edited:
The additive is ethyl mercaptan. It produces an odor similar to rotten eggs. The filters are to catch any parts that come from the hoses and fittings that are stripped during fabrication and assembly and the wax like substance that comes from the LPG itself as it cycles between cool and warm conditions. It collects in low spots and will build up to block the flow of gas.

You're welcome. I can't remember what they use in natural gas...

Just ordered this for emergency heat if grid goes down.
View attachment 82017View attachment 82018
30k btu , $179
12ft hose $35
100lb tank on back porch.
Heater in kitchen 12 ft away.

May even supplement heat pump on nights below 20 deg , seeing as I have 800 lbs of propane stored.

Jim

My understanding is that the hose it's self can leech by products into the Buddy as well when using a higher pressure tank. I really didn't want to invest a whole lot on a more expensive system atm as it should only be an emergency back up after this winter moving forward.

The plan is massive insulation with windows aimed to capture heat during the day and radiate out @ night. A wood stove. Electric heaters if needed. Genie if needed. And then the LP heater last. My family doesn't want a big tank on our property. I kinda do.... I want all the back ups. Because when something fails, more tend to follow till you catch a break. It's just been that kind of a crappy day and it's only 5am.

I been using 2 buddy heaters for over 12 years , using 20 lb tanks . Once I had 2 going for 3 weeks (not 24/7) I have used rubber hose with tee for 2.
Never have had a problem without a filter.
That's just my experience. Maybe others have had issues.

Jim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back