Mullein

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoJer

All In.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Heya Peanut -

Got a - somewhat topic-relevant - question for ya.. (I mean "mullein" kinda sounds-like plantain.. :)

...So, on some of the 'inroads' to our BOL Property, I've been spotting these plants (while driving past) that I initially thought were Giant, lucious Plantains.. However, I Finally had a chance on a recent 'Scout trip' (check out the BOL / make sure it wasn't burnt out / being squatted by 'Walter White & Co' ;) etc..) and was able to stop / check them out..

..And, while I did confirm (sadly) they're Not Plantain - I though they Might be another 'Great weed' - Mullein.. :cool: However, I'm not so sure, now, since they - sort of - present like this:

landscape-of-mountains-400x533.jpg
..in that they're Not as 'encapsulated' / bushy, ie:

IMG_3297_2.jpg

..They were more 'open' / spread out a cluster, and though they Do present with the Yellow flower, but.. It's not as much a 'center spire', and the flower-clusters were smaller than the above example.. Then there's the Leaves.. Kinda like the 'Great Mullein' example above.. but, different enough that I'm 🤔 it..

..Did pick some, here's the Leaves - Inside:

IMG-8286.jpg
..and Out:
IMG-8287.jpg

..It's Definitely Not 'Sows / Lambs Ear'-strain (and that actually Grows plentifully up there, but these are Not 'peach fuzzy' at All, so..) Close Cousin to Mullein? Or just some 'strain' I'm not realizing is so obvious? It's Really close, but... Just kinda 🤔 Any thoughts would be 'preciated.. :cool:

jd

The lack of "fuzz" on the leaves throws me... There are several hundred species of Mullein. I've only see two of them. One in a botanical garden and the other is Great or common mullein aka Verbascum thapsus. I see it every day in the wild. It's everywhere, even my yard.

I'd like to see a close ups of your plant blooming.

Thanks, P.. :cool:

The lack of "fuzz" on the leaves throws me... ..I'd like to see a close ups of your plant blooming.

Yeah, thus, the reason why I'm puzzled.. The 'Lambs Ear' strain up there is Quite pronouncedly 'fuzzy' - no question about it, nice and 'plush', especially as they get mature / bigger leaves, but.. These - while Quite large a leaf (that's ~10-12" in that shot) - so, thinking 'pretty Mature plant', definitely not a 'baby' - IF there was gonna Be any 'fuzzy', I think it would have 'presented by now'..

ie: like that Second online-ref shot, above - Ya can See the 'fuzz-haze' on those young 'inner-core' leaves, even from that Pic, but.. These? Nope, nada..

re: 'Close ups', gaaah, wish I could - Our BOL / that area is about 10 hrs North of us, so.. o_O Not possible for the moment.. However, am planning Another 'scout', ~ 1st week Sept, so will try and snap a pic /post-up, then..

Edit: Here's one shot I found online that's - close - to how these were presenting (but again, Plus the flower-stalks, except they were shorter, and Not 'centralized', kind of off-center..

l-common-mullein-rosette.jpg

Might be Some of it showing up in 'area snaps' I've taken in past, but.. Not sure any would allow for 'close up analysis', since any shots that Happened to have the plants In them, will be pretty 'pano / wide', so.. Again, will post up asaP.. :)

Thx..
jd

Last edited:
Got an empty notepad? Every part of the plant is medicinal... The root is great for incontinence issues with new mothers and the elderly. The leaves will align badly broken bones and speed their healing... also will correct slipped and herniated disks. The blooms with oil is the perfect medicine for ear aches in small children/toddlers....
Thanks Peanut!

So this intrigues me......"the leaves will align badly bronken bones"..... So, I gotta ask, how does that work?

So this intrigues me......"the leaves will align badly bronken bones"..... So, I gotta ask, how does that work?

Jim McDonald of Michigan has written extensively about mullein. Here is a link to one of his articles.
https://herbcraft.org/mullein.html
Other articles about mullein
https://www.christianherbal.org/mullein/https://www.herbalmedicineuk.com/mullein-magical-plant-sets-bones-alleviates-coughs/https://farmhomestead.com/herbs/mullein/
@SoJer Did you take any of the photos you've posted? Also, to help you figure out what plant you are asking about I need approximate location, state, river valley, mtn range, elevation etc. And photos! Both sides of a leaf and please put a playing card/quarter/bic lighter, something to show the scale of the object in the photo. If the plant is over a ft tall hold a tape measure in the photo. In short... I need to know where, what (actual plant you are asking about, not stock photos), why - recent weather conditions or any other contributing factor, date and time of day. Without real data this is nothing but an endless guessing game without an answer.:)

Last edited:
@SoJer Did you take any of the photos you've posted? Also, to help you figure out what plant you are asking about I need approximate location, state, river valley, mtn range, elevation etc. And photos! Both sides of a leaf..

Yessir, did pick some, here's the Leaves - Inside:

IMG-8286.jpg
..and Out:
IMG-8287.jpg

..Dims (of these) are ~10", tip to base (of stalk) and ~14-15", overall.. Of course, many others were Smaller, and a few, Bigger, but.. Point being, these were not 'infant' plants, and yet - No 'fuzzies'.. Yet, still, the vein-patterns / overall Shape / plant 'presentation' (including Flower stalks / flowers, themselves) look more like Mullein than anything (and, that was my First thought, as I got closer to them / quickly realized 'Nope, not Plantain.. bummer'..)

re: 'Location', etc, I will PM you those details, Prolly best to Not post our BOL coordinates 'out here in the wild' (OpSec, and all.. ;) Will send, shortly..

Thanks.. :cool:
jd

I crossed the county today to go to a park with DW & I saw mullein growing a side the road. The main stem was yellow with flowers near the top, but brown half way down the stem. When & how should I collect the seeds?

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, but knowing the seeds can be harmful & should NOT be near your tea leaves is a good thing. I would collect the seeds & leaves on different days, which should be easy, because the young leaves are gone by the time the seeds are ready to harvest, right?
Is mullein poisonous?
Mullein leaves and flowers are on the FDA's GRAS (generally recognized as safe) list, and there have been no credible reports of serious adverse effects. However, mullein seeds contain the insecticide and fish poison rotenone. ... If mullein leaf products are contaminated with mullein seeds, long-term use might be harmful.
https://www.wnyurology.com/content.aspx?chunkiid=21821

Here is a site that seems to have something similar to what I recall. What I have at home is probably from the 70s/80s and they make a "honey" or syrup. I need to reread it before it blooms.
https://practicalselfreliance.com/foraging-mullein/
(edit to add the link :rolleyes: )

I have one plant that appeared randomly in a pot with a hosta two years ago, but I haven't harvested it. I do need to remove it to a better spot now I know what it is. Bird must have dropped the seed.

Reactions: Neb
Back