Muppet Moments

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sometimes you just do something stupid. Small things, like putting keys in the fridge or feeding the same cat twice while the other sits looking at you. In this house, we call them 'muppet moments'.
I'll start :D
Today, I parked my car at Lidl, inching backwards into a spot, knowing there was a barrier behind me lower than the car window (muppet moment Nov 2019!)
Turn off the engine, pull up the handbrake. Looking for a quid for trolley in the change drawer, look up and think sh** cars rolling. Reef up handbrake whilst frantically pumping brake- nothing happens.
Then I realize the car next to me is reversing out. I'm not moving at all. :oops:

HA! That's happened to me. It's worse when cars on both sides of you are leaving at the same time. 🤪

My superpower is going to the grocery store to pick up a specific item and getting home only to realize I got a bunch of other stuff but forgot that one item.

This is a good thread, Magpie, and can be a lot of fun. I'm sure I have had some, but will have to give it some thought.

I have moments of panic because my phone isn't in its usual spot. Because it's in my hand. 🙃

Like looking for your glasses when they are on top of your head. :confused2:

Then I realize the car next to me is reversing out. I'm not moving at all. :oops:

This illusion is powerful, especially in parked trucks (big rigs). I can't tell you how many times I've crawled into my sleeper to catch some shuteye, poked my head out between the curtains to make one last check on everything, and had a big ol' adrenalin spike because the truck next to me was moving and I thought my truck was rolling... and the last thing you want is a big rig rolling in uncontrolled fashion in a crowded truck stop parking lot. :oops:

I have lost my glasses on top of my head. I hate it when my wife points out my glasses.
I have looked for something that was in my hand. I even moved the item from hand to hand checking my pockets.
I have checked out at a store only to realize my wallet is in my truck.
I have used the flashlight on my phone to look under my car seat for my phone.
I have laid something down and lost it.
I have forgotten what I drove and looked for the wrong vehicle in the parking lot.
I call it a senior moment.
It's really just absent mindedness or not paying attention.

Sometimes you just do something stupid. Small things, like putting keys in the fridge or feeding the same cat twice while the other sits looking at you. In this house, we call them 'muppet moments'.
I'll start :D
Today, I parked my car at Lidl, inching backwards into a spot, knowing there was a barrier behind me lower than the car window (muppet moment Nov 2019!)
Turn off the engine, pull up the handbrake. Looking for a quid for trolley in the change drawer, look up and think sh** cars rolling. Reef up handbrake whilst frantically pumping brake- nothing happens.
Lay off the weed before driving! LOL

I have forgotten what I drove and looked for the wrong vehicle in the parking lot.

I went one step farther: when I first started driving a truck in '96, I drove for U.S. Xpress (sic), or USX. Walked out of a crowded truck stop restaurant one night and headed back toward my truck. Thought I found it, but when I tried the key, it wouldn't work... "Huh?" Looked up to see another USX driver staring at me as I fumbled with the door lock, lol... then I realized that it was not MY assigned truck, but some other USX driver who had parked near my own truck (which was half a dozen spaces farther down the row, lol). The entire USX company fleet consisted of red Freightliner trucks at the time, most were identical except for the unit numbers on the hood. Felt like a dummy, but when I identified myself and told the other driver why I had tried the door, we both got a good laugh out of it. It's easy enough to pull this bonehead maneuver when your mind is on other things... and this incident taught me to check unit (or tractor) numbers more carefully, lol. ;)

Oh that happened to me once, I almost put my groceries in some other guy's blazer. ever notice when you get a new ride you notice them everywhere and half are your same color?

Back in the day of pagers my buddy and I suddenly heard a high pitched tone. We wondered about the house but the volume was constant. We split up and my buddy said "Ben, it's you!". My pager needed charged.

I was working and reached for my pen. Not in my pocket. Searched everywhere shaking out manuals etc. Eventually my searching irritated the operator and they looked up from their crossword puzzle and asked me what I was looking for. I replied "m ooking or y en." Then pen was clenched my teeth the whole time. Literally right under my nose.

Drove to work and before entering the parking garage I checked and found I had left my wallet at home. Fetched the wallet and walked in with minutes to spare. Operator looked at me and said "I thought you were on vacation today." I drove to work twice on a day off.

Ben

I waited in line for the ATM. Got my money and went to my car. Got in and looked over and my wife and kids looking at me from our car parked next to me. The guy that owned the car I was in just laughed. In fact everyone there laughed except me.
I was in my late 20s at the time so I can't blame it on old timers disease.

When I was about 30, I lived alone. I lost the remote control one night. Looked all over, living room, kitchen, bathroom, everywhere. No remote. I finally gave up and went to the fridge to grab a soda. Guess what was in the fridge next to the sodas?

The sad part is, I was stone sober...

I very rarely know where my phone is. Sometimes it's in the house and it rings, and since I've only had this phone for a few months, I don't recognize the ring. Am getting better at throwing it in my apron pocket in the morning before I go out to do the animals (per husband's request), but after that, it's wherever.

. Fetched the wallet and walked in with minutes to spare. Operator looked at me and said "I thought you were on vacation today." I drove to work twice on a day off.

Ben
I too was guilty of getting ready and all suited-up for work, on my day off. Habit.
...Fortunately our wives are the only ones that see us do stupid stuff like that.:)
"You do know that it is Saturday, right?"

Last edited:
I've shown up at work when I wasn't supposed to."What are you doing here?"
Shown up to church an hour early when we had the time change.
I hook my reading glasses on the front of my shirt and can't find them anywhere.
Be heading out to take someone somewhere and force of habit says turn here when I was supposed to go straight.
Of course most of us are familiar with roll call when saying the children's names. I got that from my mom, she used to call me a combo of my older sisters' names and end it with my name.
I can't tell my daughters' voices apart and they know it.
@Magpie I was at the car wash the other day. Put the car in park. Started messing around with stuff in the console, looked out the passenger window and saw the arm of the washing mechanism moving back, which looked of course like I was rolling forward, immediate reaction says moving, must stop. Hit the brakes. Nothing happens. Oh. ha. haha.

Back in the day when business attire was much more formal, I went to work wearing two different shoes. I have always been an early riser, and got to work early. I dressed in the dark, so I wouldn't disturb my wife. I didn't realize it until I got to the office and was making coffee. I had to look down in the cabinet, and thought OMG!! Rushed home and changed, and nobody ever knew.

I hate going to the grocery store in a hurry, my wife usually makes me a list and she does not organize it well, so I am past the produce, past the meat, past the dairy before seeing that she wants something from the produce department..... so I have to back track.

The other thing is when I am getting canned goods, mostly "cream of" soups, I usually get a full flat worth at a time, so I find what I need and start loading cans, I HATE IT when I get home and find some odd-ball thing in the mix, chicken-n-stars or something else that is never on my list....... As I started using glasses I find the problem got worse.

The wife did one with the kids a long time ago. When we would get home from church the wife would tell the kids to get out of their church clothes, on one exceptionally hectic Sunday she told the youngest to put his dress shoes in the refrigerator, which he gleefully did, then all the kids set at the sofa to wait for their mom to make lunch. When she opened the fridge door she exclaimed WHY ARE YOUR SHOES IN THE FRIDGE, the kids responded in unison, because you told me to mommy!!

Once I’d worked in 8 cities in 2 weeks. Doing major work at each. The airline has lost my bag on the first flight. I washed my clothes at the hotel every night until finally got time to go to a mall and buy a new bag and new clothes to put in it.

When I finished I couldn’t find my rental car in the giant mall parking lot. I wondered around for an hour, had started thinking I should report it stolen to the po-po.

I finally realized I was looking for the wrong car. I was looking for a rental car I’d had 3 cities ago… My new rental was right where I’d left it...

I worked with a guy that got off the plane in the wrong city. He went to the car rental place, got a car and they gave him a map. He looked at the map and realized what he had done and made a sprint for the plane. They opened the door so he could reboard.
Like @Peanut I used to fly all the time. Occasionally I would have to look for clues as to where I was after I woke up.
Another guy I worked with called the boss and told him to shove the job. He then said you company car is at the airport.
He was in the San Francisco area and didn't tell them which airport or which parking lot.
It was over 9 months before the got a letter telling them the car had been impounded and they owed more for parking than the car was worth. It was a lease so they had to pay.

Back in the day when business attire was much more formal, I went to work wearing two different shoes. I have always been an early riser, and got to work early. I dressed in the dark, so I wouldn't disturb my wife. I didn't realize it until I got to the office and was making coffee. I had to look down in the cabinet, and thought OMG!! Rushed home and changed, and nobody ever knew.
Oh, I did worse than that! After a pretty rough weekend, I had a long hot shower, got dressed and went in to realize I didn't put underwear on, that damn towel was hanging out of my pants! Going commando never hurt nobody. :p

Well I just pulled a serious one. Been trying to load my 5th wheel hitch. Finally got it in the truck and mounted to the rails. Looked down at it and something was off.
Put the damn thing in backwards. Had to stop and cool off again. Then gotta go pull it out turn it around and put it back in.
I am beyond frustrated

Back in the day I flew a lot for work on one occasion I purchased the full tank of gas on the rental car. I was working in Idaho and had flown into Salt Lake, no big deal but a lot of driving and I was going to be on a very tight schedule for the return trip. As I was going up I tracked my fuel consumption, the morning before I left Idaho I put what I estimated I would need to get back to the airport. My meetings went long and I was in a real time crunch so I drove like heck all the way back to the airport as I got off I-15 the low fuel alarm went off, I drove to the car return, grabbed my bag and raced to the terminal. The car return guy jumped in the car to move it, he got about 100 yards and ran out of gas... I got my full tank of gas on that trip.

Oh, my flight ended up being delayed.....

Latest posts

Back