Muscari, also known as Grape Hyacinth, medicinal uses

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Muscari are very easy to grow and will take over a yard in time. Someone gave me some many years ago, and they are all over my yard. I keep digging them out and giving them away.

🍇
These are called Muscari!
🍇

Most people call them Grape Hyacinth but they are not a Hyacinth!! Keep in mind these are edible but the actual Hyacinth is not. It is toxic!
The Muscari are edible. The blossoms have a slightly sour, slightly grapey flavor, and are a source of Vitamins A and C. Although there are no poisonous parts on the Muscari, the blossoms are most often used, rather than their leaves, stems or roots.
Grape hyacinth blossoms are used as flavoring in Europe.
As with any wild edible, the sky is really the limit on how to use grape hyacinth in your kitchen. You can cook them up and simply eat them, or you can add them to your floral pasta.
Benefits of Muscari
Almost all the plants have some medicinal as well as nutritional value to offer.
Skin Benefits of Grape Hyacinth/Muscari
1. Treats Eczema:
The leaf extracts of this plant can be mixed with rice flour and turmeric to treat skin problems like eczema.
2. Makes Skin Healthy:
Many skin care products contain Muscari. The use of grape Hyacinth and its antimicrobial, antifungal and antibacteria properties make it the perfect choice for treating many skin disorders.
Hair Benefits:
3. Offer Great Fragrance to the Hair:
Though Muscari is not known for its hair care benefits but it provides the shampoos and conditioners that amazing fragrance to of a fresh flower.
Health Benefits:
4. Treats Cholera:
The stem of this plant can be used to treat cholera. Symptoms like nausea and vomitting can be reduced with the help of stir fried Muscari beans.
5. Heals Sore Throat:
The juice extracted from the pods of the Muscari plant can be used to heal an inflamed throat as well as ears.
10 Tips To Keep Your Skin Cool In The Summers
6. Treats Snake Bites:
A poultice, prepared with the extracts of the Gr. hyacinth bean leaves, can be used to treat snake bites.
Tea recipe: steep an early grey, jasmine,lemon grass and blue grape hyacinth flourets
Also delicious with lemonade
Simple syrup/blue grape hyacinth so delish
Bow tie pasta cold, 1/3 cup Vidalia onion dressing, 2 tbsp lemon poppyseed dressing, sliced strawberries fresh, 1 cup lightly cooked spinich cooled , topped with grape hyacinth.

https://www.facebook.com/rose.casta...N_uN-b5Crj9qvu3rVn6Sw93MKA&__tn__=<<,P-y0.g-R

So do we. It's called monkey grass here.

@Weedygarden do you have a latin name for the exact species that you call Muscari? The species you wrote was edible?

I did a little reading, Muscari seems to be a common name that refers to several species. If that's the case I'd be leery of saying for sure it's edible or medicinal. Which plant? Without a the botanical species name (latin) it's just a guess as to which plant is being referred to...

So do we. It's called monkey grass here.

@Weedygarden do you have a latin name for the exact species that you call Muscari? The species you wrote was edible?

I did a little reading, Muscari seems to be a common name that refers to several species. If that's the case I'd be leery of saying for sure it's edible or medicinal. Which plant? Without a the botanical species name (latin) it's just a guess as to which plant is being referred to...
I don't have the Latin name. It is a common small bulb for gardens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscari_armeniacumMuscari armeniacum is a species of flowering plant in the squill subfamily Scilloideae of the asparagus family Asparagaceae (formerly the lilies, Liliaceae). It is a bulbous perennial with basal, simple leaves and short flowering stems. It is one of a number of species and genera known as grape hyacinth, in this case Armenian grape hyacinth[1] or garden grape-hyacinth.[2] The flowers are purple, blue (with a white fringe), white (cv. ‘Album’) or pale pink (cv. ‘Pink Sunrise’) and the plants are usually 15 centimetres (6 in) tall. M. armeniacum blooms in mid-Spring (April or May in the Northern Hemisphere) for 3–4 weeks. Some selections are fragrant. Established bulbs leaf in the autumn. M. armeniacum is widespread in the woods and meadows of the Eastern Mediterranean, from Greece and Turkey to the Caucasus,[3] including Armenia which gives it its name.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/ophiopogon-japonicus-nana/

Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nana'

Common Name(s):​

Phonetic Spellingoh-fee-oh-POH-gon jah-PON-ih-kus NAH-nahDescription
Dwarf Mondo Grass 'Nana' is an attractive low-growing evergreen Mondo grass cultivar that slowly spreads and forms thick tufts of arching, linear, grass-like dark green leaves. In the summer, insignificant racemes of white flowers appear and are followed by pearl-sized berry-like fruits. The flowers and fruits are typically hidden by the leaves. The plant grows up to 6 inches tall and spreads in clumps up to 8 to 12 inches. It is very similar to Liriope and spreads slowly by short underground stolons. It is grown for its ornamental tufts of grass-like leaves and is frequently used as a lawn alternative, particularly in shady areas. It is tolerant of low foot traffic and is resistant to deer and rabbit damage.
The species is native to the woodlands of Central and South China, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, and the Philippines.
The genus name, Ophiopogon, is derived from the Greek word, ophis, meaning snake, and pogon meaning beard. The specific epithet, japonicus, means native to Japan.

Back