Mushrooms

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty mushroom, @Cascadian
Photo for example from Golden Chanterelle (Girolle)
1697771485629.png

Some where near 8-9 years ago now I went on an ATV club trail ride with a group.. There were a couple old guys that would stop to pick mushrooms.. Rather than sit on my back side and wait I would bail off my machine and help them with things they couldn't reach and such.. After the ride they gave me a whole Walmart size bag of mushrooms..

I washed them in salt water removing dirt, ants, wood chips and all.. Sliced, browned in butter and froze a whole bunch of packages for 1 person.. They didn't last long.. I think they were mostly oyster shell (?) variety.. I tried to watch for Morel variety, but the season where I was was only about 5 days long at best, and I am the definition of ..black thumb.. as growing plants and such goes...

Fungi Fun​

Here in South-central Alaska, Fall and the State Fair arrive around the same time, as does the seasonal rain. But that’s all right because rain triggers the emergence of mushrooms. And we have a wide variety of fungi to enjoy.
Inky caps—Coprinus species
Coprinopsis atramentaria, commonly known as the common ink cap, tippler’s bane, or inky cap, is an edible mushroom, but you dare not consume an alcoholic beverage with this mushroom as it will act as a vomitive and you’ll sure lose your meal. It was once named Coprinus atramentarius, as you’ll see in older field guides. Thanks to Dr. Gary Laursen for the corrections.

Identification​

Most mushrooms do not have a common name, so if you want to learn more about them, you will be by necessity, learning proper names. A good field guide specific to your locale can be helpful. To start, there is a small booklet called Mushrooms of the National Forests of Alaska available from the Forest Service. You can download a copy from the website at: Mushrooms of the National Forests in Alaska (usda.gov). It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the science behind mushrooms, lichens and other fungi, but again, I suggest just sampling the information available and not get in too deep. Unless you want to!
https://laidbackgardener.blog/2023/11/02/fungi-fun/

One summer I was opening up an abandoned logging road on Prince of Wales Is. we installed culverts and built a bridge out of logs strong enough for a loaded log truck. I stumbled across a circle of puffballs about 15' across. I ate well as long as we were in that stretch.

Latest posts

Back