My back hurts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thread about back problems inspired this thread.

Probably 75% or more of people I know have back problems.

My first procedure was in 1980 , from injury during military service. Yep a long jump , short landing.
3 herniated disc , l2,l3,l4.
There was a new TRIAL injection they tried , suppose to solidify the disc , and prevent herniation.
Well it was a failure, with screaming pain for weeks.

1 year later I had surgery to repair l4. Some relief for a while.

3 years later , 1984 , had 2nd surgery to repair l4.

Wow I went to 1997, about 13 years in and out of pain, then 3rd surgery to repair l4 disc. Did good , lower pain for tolerable but very restrictive , (light lifting, and limited time on feet), until 2012.
Pain got so bad I had to contact a new neurosurgeon.

After all the CT scans ( can't do MRIs , too much meatal in my body, he determined that L4 disc,L5 disc, and we're pretty much gone and I have bone against bone between L4 L5,S1 .
He advised against any further surgeries , as it would take at least a year to recover and may not help very much. I appreciate his advice.
He put me on a strong antiinflammatory.
That really helped a lot . At least I could function , with low level pain.
Until about 5 years ago I developed blood clots , I had to go on blood thinners.
Guess what no more INSAIDs.

So now I function with pain , live on acetaminophen.

Will have back pain until I leave this world.

Poster child?

Jim
I too live on Goodys powders, I mix them into my lemonade, I also add a certain green herb to my government approved, tobacco only glass pipe and hit it like a homeboy. its all of what concerns you more, how some politician thinks you ought to live, or living in agony. I have found that a warm poultice of mustard powder and DMSO helps. if you can't get DMSO, try this one.
Old Fashioned Mustard Plaster

Old Fashioned Mustard Plaster
Helps relieve chest congestion due to colds.
1 tbsp dry mustard
1/4 cup flour
Lukewarm water
Sift together mustard and flour in a bowl. Slowly add just enough water to make a paste. Spread the plaster on a piece of muslin big enough to cover chest. Cover with another piece of muslin.
Make sure the skin is dry. Place the mustard plaster on the chest. Check
frequently and discontinue if there is any kind of allergic reaction. Remove when skin begins to turn red, usually after 10-20 minutes, and don’t leave on any longer than 30 minutes at a time. Then rub the chest w/ petroleum jelly to keep the heat in. Treat twice daily until congestion clears up. NOTE: For children, reduce amount of flour to 6 teaspoons.

My Mom filled a tube sock with rice and tied the end shut.
She would microwave it for a couple of minutes and put it on where she was hurting.
DW does this, I thought she had lost her mind, but it works, also can use dry beans, but rice is best.

Recovery from back surgery ? I just had Laminectomy , couple cleanouts and fused L2-3 and 4 , 4 weeks ago .
Don't know if its temporary but my leg still burns (walking up an incline or decline )to the point I have to stop and sit for a few minutes .
Before the surgery I could only walk about 50ft. before my leg would stop working, now I can go a couple 100ft,before the burning starts (burning starts in the calf muscle . This was a no-hardware fusion . Any body have experience ??

Recovery from back surgery ? I just had Laminectomy , couple cleanouts and fused L2-3 and 4 , 4 weeks ago .
Don't know if its temporary but my leg still burns (walking up an incline or decline )to the point I have to stop and sit for a few minutes .
Before the surgery I could only walk about 50ft. before my leg would stop working, now I can go a couple 100ft,before the burning starts (burning starts in the calf muscle . This was a no-hardware fusion . Any body have experience ??
I don’t have experience but will say Good to see you! Glad you’re okay and seemingly better. My only suggestion would be to explore an anti-inflammatory diet. Inflammation causes a lot of grief.

From first hand experience, can't overstate the positive outcomes of anti inflammatory diet. It's been a huge game changer for me dealing with sciatica for the past ten years.

I was at a point that I was afraid to do anything, second guessing everything because I would suffer the next day and take forever to heal. Since changing my diet nine months ago, I've got that (almost) wreck less confidence back.

I've since crashed my mtn bike going over the bars and flying 15 feet. No lingering problems! I've overworked my back with chainsaw and moving heavy wood and hay bales. Was a little stiff and sore one day after only!

Food is more powerful than medicine!

Can second the anti-inflammation diet, however burning pain sounds like nerve pain which is really common after any back surgery.
Typically surgeons will prescribe gabapenin (neurontin) for a few weeks for this, but I would definitely talk to your surgeon to see if there's anything they can give you to alleviate these symptoms while you rehab.

Can second the anti-inflammation diet, however burning pain sounds like nerve pain which is really common after any back surgery.
Typically surgeons will prescribee gabapnin (neurontin) for a few weeks for this, but I would definitely talk to your surgeon to see if there's anything they can give you to alleviate these symptoms while you rehab.
I go back to the neuro surgeon on the 16th. . Gabapentin made me lay around like slug and I can't take opioids. Maybe I shouldn't have waited 39 yrs. to get fixed but on the other hand technology has come a long ways since then. Maybe i'm just rushing things , I don't have time to be down ,have to many things to do and winter is coming

Latest posts

Back