My brother bought me a hip for Christmas.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm all back together and about 90% pain free for the first time in 6 months.
I think I shall sleep for a number of daysZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

pNqMLB5.jpg

Bump.

It's been a couple months. How's your progress? I was overdoing it for the first 2 months and was having some pain/issues related to the hip replacement. Doc told me to slow down and don't push it and those pains will go away. They did.

It is awesome to be pain free now.

IMG_1.gif

I made this yesterday. I still have a fair amount of thigh pain, which could be related, or not, to my stupid knee. I am probably overdoing it a bit, but this winter has been so mild, and I'm so far behind on my projects, that I can't help myself to get them done. With an extra hand with my daughter being here makes them a bit easier, but there's still so much to do.
A couple times I was given a shot of Toradol, which helped, but not for as long as they predicted.

After the operation, and while still in Mexico, I went to a phamacy and was able to purchase some Toradol combined with tramadol, and some syringes. I managed to get them across the border.;D
I've read that a person isn't supposed to use Toradol for more than 5 days straight, but can't find anything about an occasional injection. (Info please?)
But boy howdy, does it make a difference!

I've now knocked off 5lbs, (with about 20 more to lose) from just being able to move around again.

For your thigh pain, is it on the inside and feels like a groin pull? If so, I had that too but it goes away.

Something else for you to check. Are your legs the exact same length? It's common for the hip replacement to make that leg either longer or shorter than the other. When standing "at attention", do you feel like you're tipping to one side or the other? My replacement made that leg 1/4" longer. If your legs are different lengths, you'll want to get that straight to avoid issues and pains in the future. Custom orthotics aren't needed but you'll want to put a heel lift in the shoes you use for the shorter leg to bring it up to the same height. I went with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZM7G00/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 3825
I made this yesterday. I still have a fair amount of thigh pain, which could be related, or not, to my stupid knee. I am probably overdoing it a bit, but this winter has been so mild, and I'm so far behind on my projects, that I can't help myself to get them done. With an extra hand with my daughter being here makes them a bit easier, but there's still so much to do.
A couple times I was given a shot of Toradol, which helped, but not for as long as they predicted.

After the operation, and while still in Mexico, I went to a phamacy and was able to purchase some Toradol combined with tramadol, and some syringes. I managed to get them across the border.;D
I've read that a person isn't supposed to use Toradol for more than 5 days straight, but can't find anything about an occasional injection. (Info please?)
But boy howdy, does it make a difference!

I've now knocked off 5lbs, (with about 20 more to lose) from just being able to move around again.

The ketoralac (toradol) is to be taken intravenous or I'M for 5 days only. It's usually only used after surgery for inflammation. Your med has tramadol in it which is the pain component. Toradol is only the anti inflammatory component. Tramadol (ultram) is easily obtained and cheap through your physician. It worked better for me than demerol post op for my heel. You can get 30 day supply with a script and not be afraid to take it. Are you taking Mobic or Celebrex? If so, the toradol may be too much and adversly affect your kidneys ( failure) and liver.

For your thigh pain, is it on the inside and feels like a groin pull? If so, I had that too but it goes away.

Something else for you to check. Are your legs the exact same length? It's common for the hip replacement to make that leg either longer or shorter than the other. When standing "at attention", do you feel like you're tipping to one side or the other? My replacement made that leg 1/4" longer. If your legs are different lengths, you'll want to get that straight to avoid issues and pains in the future. Custom orthotics aren't needed but you'll want to put a heel lift in the shoes you use for the shorter leg to bring it up to the same height. I went with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZM7G00/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Zoom that is a good thing to look into. Who would have thought of that?

BBQ.J, glad your doing so good. Be careful and God speed recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ketoralac (toradol) is to be taken intravenous or I'M for 5 days only. It's usually only used after surgery for inflammation. Your med has tramadol in it which is the pain component. Toradol is only the anti inflammatory component. Tramadol (ultram) is easily obtained and cheap through your physician. It worked better for me than demerol post op for my heel. You can get 30 day supply with a script and not be afraid to take it. Are you taking Mobic or Celebrex? If so, the toradol may be too much and adversly affect your kidneys ( failure) and liver.

Yea sure don't want to mess up something else. Nanny that is another good thing to look out for.
BBQ,J you have some real smart cookies here helping you.

Glad that you are doing so well.

I've talked to some of my docs about the Mexico option. Some have doctor buddies that work in Mexico half the year and half i the States. They charge less and make as much or more in Mexico. The insurance is less and they don't have to hire multiple people to do paperwork, they pass along the savings to their patients.

Thanks for your input.
The hardest part right now is breaking myself of the limping habit.
I've been limping for over 8 months, as well as leaning when I sit. Honestly, I'm not 100% certain what standing or sitting up straight is anymore.
I find myself trying to learn what that is again.
Once I do, I might be able to determine my leg length. The surgeon told me he would do his best to make them the same length.

The leg pain is on the outside of my right thigh, closer to the knee than the hip, and also the muscle on top about three inches above the knee cap.
But again, I shattered the knee about 5 or 6 years ago, and xrays show they didn't get all the bits out. I'm sure that will be next, but isn't near as critical as the hip was.
I have an xray of the knee, but really have no idea what I'm looking for, or at.

Ho76wWQ.png

EBOlgtG.png

SLKeTJh.png

I don't really read X-rays, but what I think I'm seeing is a lot of inflammation with some spurring or bone pieces on the rt outer surface on the top and bottom joint surface. Your knee joint space looks really thinned out.
The heel lift suggested might help. After what I've just experienced with my heel, it's very difficult to walk with out limping and that throws everything else off. I have a pair that I can't use brand new that I would be happy to give and send to if you want to try them. They're soft and fit just in the heel. If they didn't work for maybe you know someone you could pass them on to. I'll never need them.
You might also try the ace wrap knee support from WM or CVS, somewhere like that.

I don't really read X-rays, but what I think I'm seeing is a lot of inflammation with some spurring or bone pieces on the rt outer surface on the top and bottom joint surface. Your knee joint space looks really thinned out.
The heel lift suggested might help. After what I've just experienced with my heel, it's very difficult to walk with out limping and that throws everything else off. I have a pair that I can't use brand new that I would be happy to give and send to if you want to try them. They're soft and fit just in the heel. If they didn't work for maybe you know someone you could pass them on to. I'll never need them.
You might also try the ace wrap knee support from WM or CVS, somewhere like that.

Thanks for your reply Nanny.
I appreciate your offer, but hang onto them, for I'm not certain what I need yet, besides probably a new knee, which I'll be getting looked at in the near future.
And yeah, they didn't do a good clean up job when I blew my knee up, but in comparison to a few months ago, I'm a WHOLE lot better!

Friends of mine are taking Dr, Axe collagen for my back and knees. They had one extra tub of the stuff. I gave it to my, almost, 90 year old mother who is in far worse shape than I. Today mine arrived. Yesterday Mom called and said she wanted more and that Dad was going to start it also. She needs new knees but insurance won't allow her to have them. She feels enough better to want to keep taking the stuff and Dad sees enough benefit to want to give it a try.

Hey Joe - It's been a month. How's the hip feeling?
Hey, thanks for asking. The hip feels pretty good, no issues to speak of.
I went back a few weeks ago, and had a TKR on the same leg. Recovery is coming along quite well. I'm poking around trying to decide on PT, and I'm fairly convinced insurance won't touch it because it wasn't all done in the states over a 5 year period.
I'm slowly turning into a bionic man!
Crummy shot of my xrays held against a window. You can see the cars in the parking lot.

Please try to pull together your own PT program. It can make all the difference.
:gardening:
Believe me, this guy isn't laying in bed with his foot up waiting for normal to return. I'm up and about walking and working.
When I'm not, I'm doing all kinds of stretching exercises, with improvements almost daily. I pretty much believe I don't need a therapist, but I might find it interesting to see what they suggest, other than what I'm doing.
I certainly didn't go through all this to only be able to get around half assedly, and man, it's almost spring, I need to ride!

Believe me, this guy isn't laying in bed with his foot up waiting for normal to return. I'm up and about walking and working.
When I'm not, I'm doing all kinds of stretching exercises, with improvements almost daily. I pretty much believe I don't need a therapist, but I might find it interesting to see what they suggest, other than what I'm doing.
I certainly didn't go through all this to only be able to get around half assedly, and man, it's almost spring, I need to ride!
If you can get on You Tube, you can find pretty much info on much of what is done in a therapy setting. That's what I've been doing with my foot.

Alright, man, I know you're smarter than -- don't yell at me, I'm just concerned!
I remember your video.
You're going to ride? I see.

:thumbs up:
I had PT that wore me out sometimes. Of course, I would have DIED without my surgery and I don't ride.
I'm sorry!"hotair:

Latest posts

Back