My brother's big fat Greek vacation...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
Somewhere on this website, I've already mentioned that my family lived in Athens, Greece, from 1968-1973, and those were some of the best years of my life. My large family was still together, you understand, and every summer we'd load the camping gear atop the VW Bus and tour some part of Western Europe... during the school year, we'd take weekend trips to explore Greece. Those were halcyon days, and we were fortunate to be in Europe at that time, as it has only gone downhill in recent decades. My brother Pete (who lives overseas with his German wife) booked a vacation to Greece earlier this year... he went with his wife, they joined my one and only sister, and of course Pete took a ton of photos to share with the rest of the family. We've been enjoying this nostalgic tour---while noting modern differences---and we still have a ways to go, lol. My brother provides a hilarious narrative and breaks out pics as he goes along, aye? I thought of sharing some of these pics earlier, but didn't bother because many of the pics have yet to be resized... and I deleted some posts with nice pics too, but that can't be helped. Anyway, I'm gonna try to post some of those pics, maybe the mods can automatically resize 'em or something. I'm not gonna try to caption all of these, just a few... starting with a pic of the Acropolis. :)

DSC_1268_resized.JPG

Views of modern Athens, much larger than it was when we were there, look at the sprawl! But first, a Greek cat! 🐈‍⬛

DSC_1282_resized.JPG
DSC_2399_resized_1.JPG

DSC_2405_resized_1.JPG

Sheesh, thank goodness I no longer live there, lol. Here's the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion, I like these pics! We went to all of these places decades ago, the ruins were still there! 🤣

DSC_1584_resized.JPG

DSC_1602_resized_2.JPG

DSC_1606_resized_1.JPG

Primo view from the Temple of Poseidon at sunset... 😎

DSC_1642_resized.JPG

DSC_1682_resized.JPG

This guy has the right idea... to heck with all that road traffic, this is the only way to travel the Med, lol. :thumbs:

DSC_1679_resized.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, another round of pics... I'm gonna ask my brother to resend the rounds I deleted, there were some great shots of the Parthenon & Acropolis in those rounds! But for now, here are some random shots of ancient & modern Greece! 🇬🇷

DSC_1694_resized.JPG

DSC_1748_resized.JPG
DSC_1858_resized.JPG
DSC_2418_resized.JPG
DSC_2420_resized.JPG
DSC_1916_resized.JPG
DSC_2432_resized.JPG

The Temple of Aphaea... there are several ways to spell this name, I'm just throwin' out the one my bro sent, lol. 😉

DSC_2444_resized.JPG
DSC_2445_resized.JPG

And some old ruins, dunno where, the country is full of ruins like these which aren't quite as famous, lol... 😒

DSC_2484_resized.JPG

Alright, that allowed me to clear the old emails from my computer... like I said, I'll have my bro resend the first few rounds which I deleted, there were some great shots in those rounds. At the same time, I don't wanna clutter up the website with a bunch of travel pics, so I'm only gonna send pics I like, lol. Yes, you'll probably have to deal with the occasional cat pic, lol, and most assuredly some coastal & nautical pics! Again if you mods can resize those pics, great, I don't wanna bother with it at this end. Hey, I found a pic in my computer files which actually predates our time in Greece, it's a classic photo so I'm gonna include it here... some of you may remember those goofy glasses back in the day! 🤣

Family Picture Lake Barcroft 1967  V5 flipped.jpg

There I am at lower right... the pic was obviously taken at Christmastime! File caption says 1967... nice pajamas on some of us! Wait, I have one other family photo which I keep in my wallet, lemme grab it and post it, it's even older than this one! I'll be back in a moment to post the pic, it's a CLASSIC! 😎

IMG_0682.JPG

Wow, the pic is all torn up from being in my wallet for years, lol... there I am, the youngest of 9 kids, front and center! Tell me that's NOT a dress I'm wearing, lol... some of my brothers look rather nattily-attired, sportin' suits and ties! This photo was probably taken in 1963, since I look about 6-12 months old. 🤔

Last edited:
Alright, that allowed me to clear the old emails from my computer... like I said, I'll have my bro resend the first few rounds which I deleted, there were some great shots in those rounds. At the same time, I don't wanna clutter up the website with a bunch of travel pics, so I'm only gonna send pics I like, lol. Yes, you'll probably have to deal with the occasional cat pic, lol, and most assuredly some coastal & nautical pics! Again if you mods can resize those pics, great, I don't wanna bother with it at this end. Hey, I found a pic in my computer files which actually predates our time in Greece, it's a classic photo so I'm gonna include it here... some of you may remember those goofy glasses back in the day! 🤣

View attachment 114023
There I am at lower right... the pic was obviously taken at Christmastime! File caption says 1967... nice pajamas on some of us! Wait, I have one other family photo which I keep in my wallet, lemme grab it and post it, it's even older than this one! I'll be back in a moment to post the pic, it's a CLASSIC! 😎

View attachment 114026

Wow, the pic is all torn up from being in my wallet for years, lol... there I am, the youngest of 9 kids, front and center! Tell me that's NOT a dress I'm wearing, lol... some of my brothers look rather nattily-attired, sportin' suits and ties! This photo was probably taken in 1963, since I look about 6-12 months old. 🤔
OMG how cool!! Thanks for sharing those pics!! 😃♥️

Very nice!!! Been to most countries around the med, never saw Greece. Nice shots of the water, sigh. The med isn't always that calm though, lol, I'm sure you know! Some of the roughest water I've ever seen. Sometimes think about going to sea again, same conclusion, nope... thanks for the pics!!! :)

Last edited:
A few more pics, starting with the Propylaea, or "monumental gateway" to the Acropolis... :cool:

DSC_1041_resized.JPG

The Parthenon... I went here many times, back when tourists could actually stroll through the temple. :)

DSC_1060_resized.JPG
DSC_1052_resized.JPG

I've been to the Parthenon in Nashville too, lol... here's the Theatre of Dionysus below the Acropolis, the theatre is still in use today! My family went to plays in this theatre, and we also saw the "Sound & Light Show" on the Acropolis several times. 😁

DSC_1064_resized.JPG

Philopappas Hill as seen from the Acropolis... 😀

DSC_1062_resized.JPG

Mount Lykabettos as seen from the Acropolis... composed of Cretaceous limestone, its summit is the highest point in central Athens. 🤩

DSC_1083_resized.JPG

Some random shots taken elsewhere... 😉

DSC_2497_resized.JPG
DSC_2492_resized.JPG
DSC_2509_resized_1.JPG

We have more shots coming, I will post 'em as they arrive... this tour may last awhile, lol. My brother visited in late spring, the crowds are much worse during summer! 😬

Got a couple more rounds this morning, catching up and moving forward, lol... here are some shots taken early in the tour, my bro spent nearly three weeks touring Greece. 🇬🇷

DSC_1031_resized.JPG
DSC_1150_resized.JPG

The Theatre of Dionysus with the Acropolis looming above... :rolleyes:

DSC_1149_resized.JPG

Next, we have two shots of the Odeon which I really like... :)

DSC_1039_resized.JPG
DSC_1140_resized.JPG

Gotta throw in at least one statue pic, lol... ;)

DSC_1033_resized.JPG

The Temple of Hephaestus as seen from the Acropolis... this ancient temple is in remarkably good condition! 😲

DSC_1137_resized.JPG

Another view from atop the Acropolis... 😬

DSC_1136_resized.JPG

I wonder if any technical rock climbers have developed routes on that limestone crag? Lol... probably illegal! But what a view you'd have of the Acropolis! That would be awesome! 😳

Okay, moving on to Aegina, the first island I remember visiting when we moved to Greece in 1968... we ultimately visited many islands, including Crete, Rhodes, Corfu & Mykonos, but I remember Aegina as the first because it's not far from Athens. Here we go with some shots of the island and island life... as you can imagine, the place is a tourist trap, lol. 😉

DSC_2535_resized.JPG
DSC_2556_resized.JPG
DSC_2537_resized.JPG
DSC_2559_resized.JPG
DSC_2561_resized.JPG
DSC_2562_resized.JPG
DSC_2565_resized.JPG
DSC_2534_resized.JPG

Gotta like the one apartment building in blue & white, the Greek national colors. Some of those boats were probably present when we visited decades ago, lol... 😎

Peanut, I know you're enjoying these shots, we're gonna have some kick@$$ Greek island shots in this thread, lol... my bro, his wife, and my sis toured Greece in a big way, and my family already spent 5 years there back in the day, so they knew exactly where to go, yeah? My bro Pete is like a general in the field, he makes plans and carries them out despite any obstacles... his German wife is hardcore enough to keep up with him too, lol. They know how to enjoy themselves as well, which is a common family trait... what's the point of being here if you can't enjoy yourself? 🤔

You mentioned earlier that the Med can get rough, and you are correct... any relatively shallow body of water will always kick up wicked surface chop in a storm. The Salton Sea and the Sea of Galilee are two good examples... I recall passages in the Bible which describe sudden storms and wicked chop on the Sea of Galilee, and the Salton is probably worse, the chop there can be downright nasty! The Med is deeper in some areas, but many coastal areas have relatively shallow water, so those areas can see heller chop when the wind picks up, or when a storm moves into those areas. :oops:

Anyway, you can look forward to some cool island shots in this thread, and some classic nautical shots as well. In fact, I have to ask my bro to resend some historic battleship pics he sent earlier... like a dumb@$$, I deleted them before I decided to share these Greek vacation pics with y'all. My decision was all about the resizing, you understand, a task which I do NOT want to tackle when I already have so much to do here, aye? I'm hoping the mods will set things up so the larger pics I post will automatically be resized. I always resize pics of my own by using the camera itself, 10-4? 😎

Okay, another round of pics... I'm gonna ask my brother to resend the rounds I deleted, there were some great shots of the Parthenon & Acropolis in those rounds! But for now, here are some random shots of ancient & modern Greece! 🇬🇷

View attachment 114010
View attachment 114011View attachment 114013View attachment 114014View attachment 114016View attachment 114017View attachment 114018

The Temple of Aphaea... there are several ways to spell this name, I'm just throwin' out the one my bro sent, lol. 😉

View attachment 114020View attachment 114021

And some old ruins, dunno where, the country is full of ruins like these which aren't quite as famous, lol... 😒

View attachment 114022
I'm always enthralled by walls and fences built with rock. It helped to get rid of all the rock, and served a functional purpose.

Okay, the next round or two will be dedicated to Peanut, as well as other site members who served aboard ships... this is the Georgios Averoff, a battleship built in Italy for the Royal Hellenic Navy (Greece). Georgios Averoff was a Greek tycoon who put up 1/3 of the money needed to build the ship: 24 million drachmas total, which means about 70,000 Euros by today's standards. Now the ship is a floating museum and tourist attraction... my bro Pete, knowing that the rest of us would like to vicariously take such a shipboard tour, went aboard and took these photos on a beautiful spring day. When we were young and my family toured Western Europe, my dad always took us on tours like this, same way we toured castles and ancient ruins... we saw a lot of cool stuff back in the day! Here ya go, Peanut! Enjoy the pics! :cool:

DSC_1364_resized.JPG
DSC_1365_resized.JPG
DSC_1366_resized.JPG
DSC_1368_resized.JPG
DSC_1371_resized.JPG
DSC_1373_resized.JPG
DSC_1381_resized.JPG
DSC_1392_resized.JPG
DSC_1403_resized.JPG
DSC_1404_resized.JPG

That's a shipboard chapel in one shot... I reckon the ship is maintained by civilians now, so let's not bash the Royal Hellenic Navy, lol. I'm not sure whether this ship ever saw any real action, but the ship is in pretty good shape overall, considering the date of construction. ;)

Another round of Georgios Averoff shots... starting with this BIG-@$$ WRENCH, lol. My bro thinks it may have had something to do with the gun turrets. It would certainly require some hands to even pick it up, yeah? Not the kind of wrench one slips into a pocket, lol... ;)

DSC_1405_resized.JPG
DSC_1409_resized.JPG
DSC_1411_resized.JPG
DSC_1415_resized.JPG
DSC_1421_resized.JPG
DSC_1430_resized.JPG
DSC_1431_resized.JPG
DSC_1434_resized.JPG
DSC_1435_resized.JPG
DSC_1441_resized.JPG

Second rack of rifles for officers... no bayonets, lol. Slinging of hammocks an approximation, just to give tourists an idea of shipboard accommodations, aye? :cool:

Okay, a few more shots of the ship... 😬

DSC_1451_resized.JPG
DSC_1457_resized.JPG

The Admiral's Walk... probably had a nice view! 😎

DSC_1461_resized.JPG

A Greek naval hero of the Balkan Wars... 😒

DSC_1466_resized.JPG

Two small shrines on Aegina... there are many of these across the island. 🙂

DSC_1468_resized.JPG
DSC_1467_resized.JPG

The Boss! And don't you forget it! Lol... 😉

DSC_1469_resized.JPG

The Temple of Apollo on Aegina... or what's left of the temple. Meh, ya win some, ya lose some, lol... 😉

DSC_2570_resized.JPG
DSC_2572_resized.JPG
DSC_2577_resized.JPG
DSC_2583_resized.JPG

Views from near the temple... 😎

DSC_2581_resized.JPG
DSC_2585_resized.JPG
DSC_2587_resized.JPG

Some night life shots... folks enjoying themselves at a restaurant and taverna! 🙂

DSC_2602_resized.JPG

DSC_2614_resized.JPG

Some funky ride down by the waterfront... an EV, I reckon. 😒

DSC_2607_resized.JPG

My bro had a computer glitch he had to sort out, but the pics should start rolling in again... here are a few more of the Greek island of Aegina, my bro snapped the boats for me since he knows I'm a diehard small craft sailor, lol. He was a good sailor himself in younger years, but I don't think he kept at it the way I did over the decades. Here ya go... :cool:

DSC_2658_resized_1.JPG
DSC_2662_resized_1.JPG
DSC_2663_resized.JPG
DSC_2665_resized.JPG
DSC_2667_resized.JPG
DSC_2668_resized.JPG

In our own private family thread, my brother who lives in Italy with his Italian wife told our bro Pete that he had the scooter lineup shot all wrong, here are shots of scooters and little 3-wheelers lined up in Italy. Gotta get the perspective right... my brother John in Italy is a lifelong motorcyclist too, so he knows about these things, lol. ;)

Firenze 23 Motos 07-25-04.JPG

2007-07-16 IMG_1119.jpg

Okay, just wanted to share those with y'all, lol... hopefully some more Greek shots will be waiting in my email inbox manana! I think there's a 12-hour time difference between Alamo and Germany, might even be greater... 🤔

Guess we haven't left Aegina yet... ;)

DSC_2696_resized.JPG
DSC_2698_resized.JPG
DSC_2700_resized.JPG

That home in the second shot is pretty nice, it incorporates many elements of modern Greek architectural style... an enclosed patio, multiple balconies, a walled rooftop deck, some cover for when the sun gets fierce in the summer, etc. Town homes like these never have much yard space, but once you go a little farther out, you'll find homes with land around them. Also note the lemon tree in the first shot, citrus trees do very well in that Mediterranean climate, you'll see 'em everywhere... when we lived in a semi-rural northern suburb of Athens, there were abandoned farmhouses in our area with nice orchards, and we'd roam through those orchards and eat fruit right off the trees. It was awesome! :cool:

DSC_2702_resized.JPG
DSC_2706_resized.JPG
DSC_2711_resized.JPG
DSC_2708_resized.JPG
DSC_2709_resized.JPG

Nothing special about this small Greek church, which is exactly what makes it so authentic... there are many of these smaller churches in Greece, some not much larger than roadside shrines. My bro must have popped into this one just to see what it was like inside. Some Greek churches are so small, they're really more like chapels, and only a few folks can fit inside them. Some of the roadside shrines can be quite elaborate, I'm sure we'll see some examples later during the tour. I'll post more pics as they trickle in, my bro will probably be sending more today. Oh, yeah, note the bird atop the church cross, I reckon it makes a handy perch, lol... :)

Last edited:
Guess we haven't left Aegina yet... ;)

View attachment 114846View attachment 114847View attachment 114849

That home in the second shot is pretty nice, it incorporates many elements of modern Greek architectural style... an enclosed patio, multiple balconies, a walled rooftop deck, some cover for when the sun gets fierce in the summer, etc. Town homes like these never have much yard space, but once you go a little farther out, you'll find homes with land around them. Also note the lemon tree in the first shot, citrus trees do very well in that Mediterranean climate, you'll see 'em everywhere... when we lived in a semi-rural northern suburb of Athens, there were abandoned farmhouses in our area with nice orchards, and we'd roam through those orchards and eat fruit right off the trees. It was awesome! :cool:

View attachment 114850View attachment 114851View attachment 114852View attachment 114853View attachment 114854

Nothing special about this small Greek church, which is exactly what makes it so authentic... there are many of these smaller churches in Greece, some not much larger than roadside shrines. My bro must have popped into this one just to see what it was like inside. Some Greek churches are so small, they're really more like chapels, and only a few folks can fit inside them. Some of the roadside shrines can be quite elaborate, I'm sure we'll see some examples later during the tour. I'll post more pics as they trickle in, my bro will probably be sending more today. Oh, yeah, note the bird atop the church cross, I reckon it makes a handy perch, lol... :)
These have been great pics, places I'll never see otherwise!!

Yeah, I'll probably never get back there, not with all the travel restrictions & requirements, but that's okay, I spent 5 years there when it was truly a paradise! Here are some more shots of Aegina, my bro ain't done with that island yet, lol. Like he said, it must be nice to live along these narrow alleys & walkways, no heavy vehicular traffic involved. Here ya go... :cool:

DSC_2718_resized.JPG
DSC_2719_resized.JPG
DSC_2724_resized.JPG
DSC_2725_resized.JPG
DSC_2726_resized.JPG
DSC_2728_resized.JPG
DSC_2729_resized.JPG
DSC_2740_resized.JPG

That place in the second shot looks cool for town living, though I'd rather be on pastoral land in the country. That Tower of Markellos was built when Jefferson was in office... not as old as some Greek buildings, but old enough, lol. That last shot shows the entrance to a small hotel, there are many like this in Greece, Mom & Pop establishments rather than large hotel chains. When I lived in Athens, the Hilton was the only hotel run by a large chain... now I reckon there are more. :confused:

Okey-dokey, we have some more pics taken while wandering round Aegina... keep in mind that the sea is never far away from these locations, just a few blocks at most. Here we go... :cool:

DSC_2737_resized.JPG
DSC_2734_resized.JPG
DSC_2735_resized.JPG
DSC_2738_resized.JPG
DSC_2739_resized.JPG
DSC_2741_resized.JPG
DSC_2745_resized.JPG
DSC_2749_resized.JPG
DSC_2743_resized.JPG

Another round of pics, starting with this old home amid the newer surrounding homes... 😒

DSC_2753_resized.JPG
DSC_2757_resized.JPG
DSC_2764_resized.JPG
DSC_2766_resized.JPG
DSC_2771_resized.JPG
DSC_2780_resized_1.JPG

Nice rental scooter! Showroom condition! Hey, you're in the Greek Islands now, baby! Moi, I'd probably find another rental location, but you know me, I'm mighty particular about the bikes I ride... besides, ya can't pick up any hot tourist wimmin riding an old beater like that, lol. Not unless yer a smooth-talkin' devil and ya still have yer youthful charm! 😉

P.S. Good-looking rubber on that scooter, each tire has 'BLOWOUT' written all over it, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :oops:

Okay, these next shots are for Peanut, this is a local band which was playing at a taverna where my bro and other family members stopped for some refreshments... I like the shot which makes ya feel like you're in the middle of everything, that shot has a very Greek feel to it, lol. Those tavernas are pretty cool, you can have a good time there... 😎

DSC_2775_resized_1.JPG
DSC_2777_resized_1.JPG
DSC_2781_resized_1.JPG
DSC_2783_resized_1.JPG

Spot the sniper in this next pic, lol... 😉

DSC_2790_resized_1.JPG

Flowers below look fake, but hey, at least the folks are TRYIN' to add some color, lol... 😁

DSC_2791_resized.JPG
DSC_2796_resized.JPG

Last shot is a bit crooked, probably because my bro drank some of this, lol... mind the attack cat! 😳

DSC_2798_resized.JPG

Last shots of Aegina as my brother and other family members depart... note the lone column from the Temple of Apollo in the background, the last column still standing after so many centuries. :)

DSC_2806_resized.JPG
DSC_2802_resized.JPG

Next we have two shots of the Corinth Canal... I remember the canal well, we'd always stop there back in the day and eat souvlaki & shish kebab from a stand which no longer exists. In those days, there was only one bridge for cars and trucks, a 2-lane deathtrap which was rather narrow... now there's a modern 4-lane bridge, and what looks like another bridge as well. I think what appears to be a railroad bridge is actually the old 2-lane deathtrap... 🤔

DSC_2811_resized.JPG
DSC_2818_resized.JPG

Here's the hilltop fortress compound (Acrocorinth) which overlooks the town of Corinth... the Corinthians sometimes allied with the Spartans, and at other times they fought one another, hence the fortress. We have a shot of some ruins down below as well, I don't remember these though I'm sure I walked through 'em many years ago. 😉

DSC_2824_resized.JPG
DSC_2826_resized.JPG

Here's a shot of a modern plaza in town, just to show y'all how it looks... ice cream is good after trekking, lol. 😎

DSC_2828_resized.JPG

Last edited:
Back