My cancer journey.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This moring I was feeling very very flat so I checked out what utensils and pots they had in the kitchen and I went and brought all the ingredients for beef bone broth.

When I'm purging and fasting for my treatments I need something to give me some nutrition and the best way to do that is with some BEEF.

I can smell it though out the whole complex and my mouth is watering.

@Tank-Girl so glad to hear you feel you can prepare some food and take care of yourself. Very grateful to Heavenly Father that He has answered the specific prayers of many people just for you. Do you eat any Japanese foods like miso soup? That too is full of nutrition and might help if you need a switch from bone broth.

Tank Girl, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, but am so glad to hear things are heading in a positive direction. You are in my prayers. I'd gladly be your driver if I were anywhere close to where you are, but sadly I'm not. Although, it sounds like you have Jesus on your side and he is a much better driver than I am. ;)

I'm curious about your fasting schedule. Do you fast before the radiation treatments or after? If so, how long?

Tank Girl, I'm so sorry you are going through all of this, but am so glad to hear things are heading in a positive direction. You are in my prayers. I'd gladly be your driver if I were anywhere close to where you are, but sadly I'm not. Although, it sounds like you have Jesus on your side and he is a much better driver than I am. ;)

I'm curious about your fasting schedule. Do you fast before the radiation treatments or after? If so, how long?

The fasting and purging revolves around the radiation treatments.
Regardless of what time the treatment is the patient is expected to front up with a empty bowel and a full bladder.
They won't give you treatment if your bowel is full so it's up to the patient to organise themselves.
Thankfully every Friday we get the new appointment times for the next week and that does help with the planning.
I generally eat a main meal along with some prunes right after the appointments if I can.
and then it's tea, water and clear fluids and now beef broth until the appointment the next day.
If things haven't 'moved' the next morning then I'll microwave half a cup of prune juice and drink it warm and then stay VERY close to the bathroom.
You know things are about to get hectic when you feel your bowel go bubbly, you start to cramp and you get a prickling of sweat break out on your brow.
If you've had food poisoning you'd be familiar with the feeling.
It's a old aged care trick. Prune juice has a lot of soluble fiber in it and heating it activates it.

Time for an over due update!

WOW..more hectic times!

I proved my commitment to treatments and the faith that was put in me by driving up to appointments and back.
What I didn't realize and you don't truly know until you experience it yourself is just how much the radiation treatments completely level your strength and energy levels...and the deep burning pain that is associated with it.
I know know how a piece of chicken breast feels like in the microwave.
I got to my appointment with plenty of time to spare.
I got my treatment and got back in the car and started to drive home.
I was in a LOT of pain and dangerously exhusted.
The only way I got home was because the hand of God was on me.
Between my town and the town where I get the radiation treatment is one of my State's worst blackspots.
A blackspot is a place that is recognized as a place where traffic accidents and loss of life happens a lot.
As I was driving thought this blackspot I had to pass a horrific 2 car accident with first responders diverting traffic around it.
That could have been me.

I got home weeping but safe.
Woke up the next morning still exhausted and and in pain and said..'Lord..I can't do this again!
I'll ring up and cancel my appointment until some accomidation can be found.'
And you know what...God poured out a portion of grace and strength and he told me to pack up my bags and to get in the car!
How can I argue with that?
God is the ONLY reason why my poor beat up car made the trip.
God is the only reason why I was able to make the trip.

When I got to town with a lot of time to spare I knocked on the door of the Red Cross Emergency accomidation and you know what????
They had a room available.....for the WHOLE 3 weeks!
What's more I have zero out of pocket expenses because Cancer Care Australia is paying the entire bill.
Genesis Care gave me a free parking voucher to cover the whole 3 weeks so I have somewhere to park my car right next to the facility so I won't get a parking ticket.

Every time Satan tries to spoil things, and I step out in faith God pours out his blessings and increases me.

Incredible.

What's even better is the emergency accomidation is just across the road from the oncology radiation facility so I don't even have to drive!

The Landshark is still with her foster mum AND she is getting some obedience training. LOL. They are very much accustomed to dealing with pigheaded pitbulls. They won't let her in the house and I think that is wise.
Poultry and mail are being taken care of by the good neighbours.

All this is a HUGE weight off my shoulders and though things are pretty rough - pain and sleep wise I am beyond grateful to not only my wonderful, awesome and gracious God but the community - RL and on-line that have stepped up to support me.
:clapping:

It's a old aged care trick. Prune juice has a lot of soluble fiber in it and heating it activates it.
We used to use this trick in the hospital when I was still working there. Prune juice is definitely a natural bowel stimulator that perhaps many have forgotten about. For myself, I usually take a magnesium supplement before bedtime and then coffee in the morning and things seem to move like they should. If I ever needed to clear the bowels, I'd just have to take an extra Mg. That works for me. Although, I like the idea of prune juice better since it's more natural and more readily available.

I'm not at all familiar with radiation treatments. I didn't know you needed an empty bowel for that. Why the full bladder? Is it so they can more easily target the area that needs it?

We used to use this trick in the hospital when I was still working there. Prune juice is definitely a natural bowel stimulator that perhaps many have forgotten about. For myself, I usually take a magnesium supplement before bedtime and then coffee in the morning and things seem to move like they should. If I ever needed to clear the bowels, I'd just have to take an extra Mg. That works for me. Although, I like the idea of prune juice better since it's more natural and more readily available.

I'm not at all familiar with radiation treatments. I didn't know you needed an empty bowel for that. Why the full bladder? Is it so they can more easily target the area that needs it?
The bladder is a very thing organ, much like a balloon.
If they were going to give me radiation with it empty my balloon bladder would have more surface area exposed to the directed beam.
The fuller it is the less of the bladder is exposed.
An empty bowel allows the lesion to be targeted more accurately without dense 'material' blocking the beam.
Because the lesion has intruded into the space the normal working bowel would inhabit they need to especially target the lesion and shrink it in that area.
They are able to hit the lesion in multiple places at once and program in places of concern to concentrate on.

The bladder is a very thing organ, much like a balloon.
If they were going to give me radiation with it empty my balloon bladder would have more surface area exposed to the directed beam.
The fuller it is the less of the bladder is exposed.
An empty bowel allows the lesion to be targeted more accurately without dense 'material' blocking the beam.
Because the lesion has intruded into the space the normal working bowel would inhabit they need to especially target the lesion and shrink it in that area.
They are able to hit the lesion in multiple places at once and program in places of concern to concentrate on.
Determine target, aim, fire, repeat . . . VICTORY :huggs:

Just a small update.

Not much has happened because God still has me firmly tucked under his wing.
2 small bleeds...and some pretty ferocious night sweats.
Seriously thinking of shaving what's left of my hair off.
I get blazing hot and wringing wet and then I get cold and the wet hair and pillow are just icy.

The last day of treatment here is the 9th of May but they are letting me stay until the 10th so I don't have to leave on a treatment day.

I have a lot of plans once I get home but I have to regain my strength first so I might lay around the house for a week and eat and be worthless and spend time with the Landshark.

Then...I'm getting stuck into removing and throwing away all the furniture. It's over 30 years old and in ruins.
I'm pretty sure there's a mouse nest in one of the recliners.
Then I'm going to scrub and strip the walls and paint.
Then I'm ripping up ALL the carpet, sand them back and oil/ low gloss varnish them.
A whole lot of clothing will be bagged up and given to goodwill along with appliances I don't use and I'm just sick to death of staring at.
For the smaller stuff I'm planning on buying tubs and labelling them just so I can keep them togther in stead of being thrown in roughly the same part of the store rooms.

There's a recycler who comes around and picks up old white goods and computers etc.....so I've priced a ramp and a tri wheel removalists trolley to get it down my front steps and onto the path ready for them to pick up.
I have to rent a big metal skip to put the rest of the old furniture in.

Now you could say I'm biting off more than I can chew.
And, you'd be right.

Just a small update.

Not much has happened because God still has me firmly tucked under his wing.
2 small bleeds...and some pretty ferocious night sweats.
Seriously thinking of shaving what's left of my hair off.
I get blazing hot and wringing wet and then I get cold and the wet hair and pillow are just icy.

The last day of treatment here is the 9th of May but they are letting me stay until the 10th so I don't have to leave on a treatment day.

I have a lot of plans once I get home but I have to regain my strength first so I might lay around the house for a week and eat and be worthless and spend time with the Landshark.

Then...I'm getting stuck into removing and throwing away all the furniture. It's over 30 years old and in ruins.
I'm pretty sure there's a mouse nest in one of the recliners.
Then I'm going to scrub and strip the walls and paint.
Then I'm ripping up ALL the carpet, sand them back and oil/ low gloss varnish them.
A whole lot of clothing will be bagged up and given to goodwill along with appliances I don't use and I'm just sick to death of staring at.
For the smaller stuff I'm planning on buying tubs and labelling them just so I can keep them togther in stead of being thrown in roughly the same part of the store rooms.

There's a recycler who comes around and picks up old white goods and computers etc.....so I've priced a ramp and a tri wheel removalists trolley to get it down my front steps and onto the path ready for them to pick up.
I have to rent a big metal skip to put the rest of the old furniture in.

Now you could say I'm biting off more than I can chew.
And, you'd be right.
So good to hear from you, was wondering!! Sounds like God is keeping you close!! Wil be nice to be home, that day is coming soon!!♥️

Oh my, Tank-Girl. Just the fact that you feel like you want to do all of that is impressive.

I think that a week of doing nothing is something you've clearly earned. Connect with the landshark, nature, and God. Take some time to take a breath and then worry about the rest when you're able to. I'm so glad you are doing better and are almost through with the treatments. :thumbs:

Hey @Tank-Girl Been thinking and praying on you today 🙏 Of course we can't know what you are going through, but do what you need to to get yourself well. You are so strong! I can't help but think how I would have broken by now in your shoes. Wish, as I know many of us do, that I (we) could be there to help or if nothing else give you a hug and let you know how much we care.
:huggs:

Today is my last treatment!

WOW!
What a roller coaster ride!
Today is the last day of purging and seriously I don't even want to see another bottle of prune juice as long as I live!

I'm packing up my gear as I'm drinking MORE water.
Purging makes you dehydrated so I need to drink to replace what was lost.

Once my treatment is done I fill my car, while the pain killers are in effect, with fuel ready for an early start tomorrow.
There's an extreme rain event heading my way in the next day to two days and that adds to a angst of having my small old car out on the hi-way.
Prayers are going to be a must.

In this last three weeks have given me a lot of clarity...being that close to death and surviving leaves it's mark and it strips away the distractions, the unimportant and it drags out into light people and things that aren't worthy of your time and effort.

The friends and family that YOU are constantly chasing, ringing and if you didn't put the effort into you simply wouldn't hear from.
The friends who didn't care enough to check up on you when you fell off the map for over 3 weeks.
These people are NOT worth your time. They have shown their true selves in your time of need.
They have a very quiet but very real form of toxicity and they need to be left behind.

On the other side of that coin it can surprise and shock you how people you hardly know can step up into the gap, step up along side you to offer a shoulder in support and be the angel you didn't know you needed but really did.
These people are the hand of God working in real time. They are a humbling blessing that breaks you down to tears as you grasp that you haven't been forgotten. You aren't alone. God's got you. In spite of your doubts and fears. In spite of our sinful natures and our strong feelings of being utterly undeserving and worth less than dirt...we are clean, bright, beautiful and, what's more DESERVING of all the blessings he pours out and wants to pour out.
We only need reach out and ask.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back