My chickens have really slowed down production.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went from getting 15-18 eggs per day from 20 hens to about 2-3 . I'm thinking it's the heat. It should start cooling off soon and they should pick back up. They are free range or in tractors.
I'm in TX, get my eggs from a neighbor. It's (finally)been hot and their chickens are really making eggs.

Mine usually slow way down this time of year, normal. However, they usually stop in Dec. and Jan. also.

Molting... over the years I've seen chickens molt in summer, fall and winter... all over the map on that one, except spring. I've never seen them molt in spring.

I've always heard you can dunk the hens in cold water to get them to produce better. Don't know if it works. That's where the saying "madder than a wet hen" comes from!! Really!!

I've always heard you can dunk the hens in cold water to get them to produce better. Don't know if it works. That's where the saying "madder than a wet hen" comes from!! Really!!

Now that's funny!!! Because I've seen my grandpa pour a bucket of water over a broody hen to break her from sitting on her nest! In fact, seen my grandma do it also. And it works! Might take a 2nd bucket but she'll forget all about sittin' on eggs.
biggrin.gif

Only got 5 eggs today but I don’t think they liked me shooting the two roosters this morning in the pen. They are confused with alpha rooster gone. He was first out in morning and put them in at night.

Winter is when I got less eggs, short days. You have to put a light in the hen house or get ducks, they seem to lay better the chicken in winter.

When I worked on an egg farm the chickens were expected to lay an egg every 18 hours under optimal conditions. So your's doing 1 a day is good. I know that the amount of light they get effects molting. Chickens must have water to produce efficiently at all times. And what they eat .
The farm I worked at had 200,000 birds. 8 barns of 25,000. And would produce 300,000 eggs a day.
My job was cleaning poop

Latest posts

Back