My Ensuite Bathroom Reno- Project #2

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wingnut, part of the reason I need to replace the drain is that the idiots who did the reno back in the 70s cut a chunk out of the floor joist. ALL the way through the entire joist. They didn't just notch it, they cut it out because that's where the P-trap for the tub drain came down. I'm going to switch to a direct drain (where the P-trap will be below the drain instead of the overflow) and make a box, per Frodo's instructions, to reinforce the joist.

I may see if the plumber or his assistant will do that bit. I'm too fat to fit under there to work on it myself.

Got all the tape off. Havasu said to remove it while it was still wet. It was damp when I removed it so it didn't tear quite as badly. Hardest part was getting it off the area around the cove molding on the upper walls. Partially because of trouble reaching. But I got it all off.

Next step is to get my bath sheets, shampoo, and body wash from my friend's house. I'm sure my brother will add in some loofahs and other scrubby stuff. Eventually I'll get a food scrubber thingy. I can put it on the wall with its suction cups to keep it out of the way until I need it. The mat inside can be put on the wall to dry as well.

Oops. Yeah. Foot scrubber!

Although, there was a fake ad making fun of the "as seen on tv" ads where it had "Uhoh, someone's been eating spaghetti in the shower again!"

I'm waiting a few more hours to test the water. I want to make sure the caulk is fully cured.

More like "lost his lunch" because he was too drunk to hit the toilet.
I remember one time (sort of. LOL) I took a leak in the sink in an Atlanta club. there were two urinals!

Got my tp holder up. Towel bar is next. Then I test to see if the tub drains properly.
1688913285931.png

LOL. Magus, I got tired of the top roll falling on the floor all the time.

Thanks! The cats aren't allowed in the bathroom. The tp that got shredded was in the front room when they got to it. I'm thinking of getting a corner shower caddy. I don't want to hang one on the shower arm because it doesn't feel as sturdy as I'd like.

Water pressure is good. Hot water comes on right away-- which is something that has never happened before in the history of living here. Normally takes a few minutes for water to warm up.

Getting the towel bar up was a royal pain. My mini ratcheting srewdriver came apart and lost pieces so it doesn't work anymore. There's no tongue & groove behind those panels and one of the brackets tore off so I had to use drywall anchors. I opted for metal ones. I also had the distance wrong so it didn't fit right at first, but now it does. Then that blasted flathead set screw was the bane of my existence. LOL.

But, its up and it works. I only have the anchors behind the left side as the right side held tight. if it comes loose I'll put in anchors.

The showerhead works well and tub drains fine. Shelf works to hold my body wash/face wash combo and my shampoo/conditioner combo.

My friend did install the cartridge wrong so hot & cold are reversed but I have it set to something in between and I know which way is hot and which is cold.

That shower felt so good!

Now I need to figure out where to store my bath slippers (to help dry my feet after getting out of the shower and keep dirt off of them), the towel wrap thing that I can wear while I look for clothes to put on-- also helps dry me, and figure out where I put the head rags that hold my hair up and help it dry. I also want a rack or shelf for spare towels.

Closer view of tp holder: Obviously I need to get rid of some of that junk and find storage space for stuff.
1688932452695.png

Towel bar (I need to get a pic of it without the towel at some point)- also obviously need to clean up junk and organize.
1688932539100.png

After cleaning up and organizing I need to fix up the vanity, paint, replace hinges, put new hardware on, etc. Also need to sand and paint the dresser & put new hardware on it. Need to put the new towel ring up after taking the old one down.

I've since emptied the wastebasket. I need to gather up all of the tools and find someplace to store them. And gather up all of the scrap trim and other stuff to take down to the workshop for safe storage. I need to take pictures of the boxes things came out of -- making note of model numbers-- and then toss the boxes.

I need to take one of the doors that came off my vanity to Lowes to see what sort of hinges fit. I don't want the self-closing because those snap closed too hard and are annoying. If I take the door I can set the hinges against them to see what fits.

I also want a robe hook for my towel body wrap thing-- and maybe to hold the head wrap as well. Need to figure out where to put it.

I like this one because it matches the decor (and it's $4).
1688947988377.png

Don't love the flathead set screw though.

I don't want to put it over near the tp because I don't want to drip any water over the tp when reaching to get it. I'm thinking maybe to the left of the towel bar but am debating whether it should be at the same height or slightly higher.

Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on something to hold my slippers? They are really flat slippers-- kind of like soft ballet shoes. They have elastic to make them stay on the feet. I'm trying to find a good picture-- although I can take a picture of them later if I can't find something online.

Edit: something similar to this
1688948406396.png
1688948442842.png

Last edited:
I've since emptied the wastebasket. I need to gather up all of the tools and find someplace to store them. And gather up all of the scrap trim and other stuff to take down to the workshop for safe storage. I need to take pictures of the boxes things came out of -- making note of model numbers-- and then toss the boxes.

I need to take one of the doors that came off my vanity to Lowes to see what sort of hinges fit. I don't want the self-closing because those snap closed too hard and are annoying. If I take the door I can set the hinges against them to see what fits.

I also want a robe hook for my towel body wrap thing-- and maybe to hold the head wrap as well. Need to figure out where to put it.

I like this one because it matches the decor (and it's $4).
View attachment 111588
Don't love the flathead set screw though.

I don't want to put it over near the tp because I don't want to drip any water over the tp when reaching to get it. I'm thinking maybe to the left of the towel bar but am debating whether it should be at the same height or slightly higher.

Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on something to hold my slippers? They are really flat slippers-- kind of like soft ballet shoes. They have elastic to make them stay on the feet. I'm trying to find a good picture-- although I can take a picture of them later if I can't find something online.

Edit: something similar to this
View attachment 111589View attachment 111590
I need to look at the pictures again, it will all find it's place!!

I was thinking maybe centered above the towel rack-- up higher, but not too high to reach-- but not sure. I need to get it cleaned up more and have pics of the walls. I want it near the shower so I can grab it before going out. I plan to have hooks on the wall near the door so I can hang mop and broom up.

I've located a stud about 14" from an obvious stud (nails in board & feels solid) by pressing on the walls and seeing where they flexed and tapping to hear hollow vs solid. I could actually feel the difference. I'm going to mount to that stud but need to figure out the height. I could do it the same height as the towel bar, or I could make it a little higher. It will only be for a short wrap. I have a wooden block with pegs already up that can hold robes, jackets, etc.

The hook arrived today and I assembled it. Had to put the white insert on-- it's painted/coated metal it seems. Now I need to mount it.

I got a bracket to mount to the wall somewhere to hold my broom and mop. I'm thinking of seeing if it can fit behind the door (might move the peg thingy as the door hits one of the pegs when it opens). I could also cut the peg it hits shorter. It's nailed on so it might not be easy to remove without damaging the wall-- looks like pretty large nails too.

I found a solution to hide the ugly spot that I patched on the tub: Little clear plastic bin with holes to let water drain. Suction cup mounted but I set it low. It's currently holding my brother's bath gloves.
1689480314135.png

I really need to clean around the drain better, it is still nasty looking. Some vinegar and baking soda covered in seran wrap might help.
My foot scrubber came in: These things are good at getting between the toes. Put soap (or in my case body wash) on the foot and run it through. It has suction cups to hold it in place and can be put on the wall to dry.
1689480456234.png

Body/back scrubbers. Mine are blue. The gray ones are for my brother. When he gets his own shower, his stuff will be moved out, obviously.
1689480533838.png

I tightened the set screw on the tp holder. The posts were able to slip farther apart because the screws weren't tight. So I individually pushed them closer together and tightened the set screw with a precision screwdriver from a set (that's what it was called on the box). It came in handy putting up the robe hook. But man, those screws that came with the robe hook sucked. They stripped out and wouldn't go all the way in even after I pre-drilled. Didn't want to come out either so I ended up scraping the wall. I hope I can disguise it a bit with some white primer. I'll use a small brush. Wish I could find that blue color. Worst case scenario I find some wall stickers or something.

I used a magnetic level and pressed it against the bracket to make sure I put it on straight and I also marked a line for the screw holes using the level so they would be lined up. In the photo it looks a little off but that is because the walls aren't straight. I don't care bc it functions and looks nice from afar.

Closeup of the robe hook:
1697445292261.png

Farther away shot showing it in comparison to towel bar (not a perfect match but from afar it looks pretty close)
1697445538144.png

With my wrap and hair rag hanging from it
1697445581177.png

Obviously I still need to clear out the clutter. Need to organize the tool closet better and put some of the tools away in it. I may be able to fit some stuff in the linen closet.

Next I need to figure out where to mount my slipper hanger. I got something that should just adhere to the wall, although I'm considering finding a way to attach it with a screw since I eventually want to put wainscoting in the area where I plan to mount it. Thinking below the towel but am not sure. I want it to be a spot where I can easily get my slippers.

I got these things:
1697445807262.png

They are ugly but I'm hoping they will work.

I will need to mount the towel ring but I'm debating where to put it. Right now I don't like the spot its in. It is under the window and set a little too low. I'm thinking of moving it above the vanity on the side, but I don't want it conflicting with the wall outlet and I might put a shelf on the side.

And I still need to build the mirror frame.

I was thinking about all that has been done on this bathroom thus far going back 20+yrs. I related it to my uncle in an e-mail. For the purposes of this post, my best friend who helped me will be referred to as M.

• I tore out the old nasty carpet & pad and scraped up nasty residue from the floor
  • Had a flooring pro (one of my nice neighbors) install really crappy linoleum
  • Had a plumber replace the faucet & add circuit vents bc everything is S-trapped
  • Dad pulled out the toilet after septic tank backup- raw sewage soaked floor and ruined top layer around toilet
  • Jerkwad horse kicked the old toilet over and broke it while it was outside
  • I cleaned up the mess and removed rotted wood with a manual chisel
  • I put in some new vapor barrier
  • I measured and made a template for a replacement top layer board (vapor barrier saved subfloor)
  • I cut & installed lauan patch
  • I water sealed the lauan
  • I used the template and measured to cut new vinyl sheet to size
  • I brought the vinyl sheet in & laid it out by myself & made cuts to go around things (did get help from bro for one cut near door)
  • I rolled the vinyl up out of the way & painted lower portion of walls
  • I took the vanity doors off, removed hardware, and painted them
  • I put new hinges on & put the doors back on (but hinges yellowed with time & look ugly)
  • I installed a toekick board under the vanity bc it was put on top of nasty carpet & mice were climbing under it
  • I painted the bottom of the inside of the vanity with Killz
  • I procrastinated for several years
  • M & I attempted self-leveling #1
  • M used a grinder to try to fix botched leveling attempt #1
  • I procrastinated for a few years
  • M & I did a second coat of leveling mix but it was still uneven
  • I procrastinated for a few more years
  • M installed new PEX lines for the lavatory & roughed them in for shower & toilet after hard freeze broke all water lines
  • M connected hot & cold water for lav
  • I did a 3rd layer of leveling and spread it out more & got it to a more satisfactory texture
  • I perimeter taped the vinyl sheet and adjusted it as best as I could
  • M installed the new toilet & put new metal flush lever on (plastic one sucked)
  • I installed escutcheons around where the pipes came through the floor & inside the vanity (eventually need supports for pex under house)
  • I replaced the broken hinge on the toilet seat and installed bolts with rubber bungs to hold them in place-- no more loose bolts
  • I assembled a Better Homes & Gardens laundry cart (nice cart but assembly sucked)
  • I cleaned off the vanity & scrubbed the daylights out of the sink for several days
  • I mopped & scrubbed the vinyl sheet floor
  • I removed the clutter and furniture from the tub
  • I tore the surround down from the shower & started removing plywood on back wall
  • M removed the rest of the plywood on back wall
  • M removed the old plumbing & got the last surround panel down (there was a LOT of caulk)
  • M & I tore & cut out the rest of the tongue and groove down to a certain point
  • M & I added 2x4s inside wall to make up for termite damaged & improperly installed studs
  • I added some boards for extra support in back wall and backer for corner grab bar
  • I shimmed like crazy to try to get the walls plumb & straight
  • M put up plastic vapor barrier around the walls
  • I scrubbed the hell out of the tub to remove decades of grime
  • I put up 3 of the 4 cement boards for a dry fit
  • M & I got the 4th board on upper back wall up & secured them
  • M & I dry fitted the new surround & marked for cutting the cement board
  • M cut the cement boards to size
  • I sealed the edges, cracks, and screw holes with Aquadefense
  • I put up L-bead trim with tear away strips to cover exposed edges of cement board
  • I applied self adhesive alkalai resistant mesh tape to seams, corners, & screw holes
  • I applied modified thinset over mesh tape & made a huge mess
  • I measured and marked for tub spout, shower trim, & shower arm holes
  • M & I applied tub surround adhesive to walls and used roller to get surround up
  • M & I cut & put up PVC trim boards, cove molding, quarter round, & baseboard around perimeter of surround to cover some gaps
  • I scabbed together some side trim to fit closer to the tub & cut baseboard for tub
  • M installed flexible pvc trim over gaps between edge of surround & L-bead trim w/ construction adhesive & roller
  • I drilled holes for tub spout, shower trim, & shower arm
  • M removed old ell for shower arm & board that held it in place
  • M connected pex to fittings & roughed in shower valve
  • M & I installed shower trim, tub spout, and showerhead
  • I used tear away strips from the L-bead trim to cover some gaps
  • I put up painter's tape & protective plastic, primed, & painted the trim
  • I caulked the daylights out of everything & did a 2nd coat of paint
  • I cleaned out the tub again
  • I installed front shower rod with curtain & curtain rings
  • I installed back shower rod for extra hooks for shower accessories
  • I used tub repair kit on scrape on tub exposing black metal
  • I put in shower accessories-- including a little plastic caddy to hide the repair
  • I took a shower in my own bathroom for the first time in over a decade
  • I accidentally broke a hinge on the vanity while trying to remove an extension cord (bought new hinges to be installed)
  • I installed the tp holder & towel bar
  • I installed the robe hook & tightened set screws on tp holder
  • I replaced lightbulb in vent/light/heater in ceiling
There is still a lot more work to be done, but at least we can use my bathroom & have made a lot of progress.

Latest posts

Back