My firewood stuff

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tirediron

Seasoned HillBilly
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Rural western Canada, Sunrise side of the Rockies
thought that I would post a few picks of what I have developed for taking care of my firewood supply
The Chinese tractor and 3 pth skidder, the second picture kind of shows the load carrying brace to the main hitch, so that the 3 pth hydraulics dont' have to take the shock of skidding the log.

Attachments

• firewood 005.jpg
    firewood 005.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
  • firewood 006.jpg
    firewood 006.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • firewood 007.jpg
    firewood 007.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
you have fantastic set up !

i have a boxblade set up with drop hooks welded on to drop choker chain in to pull logs. i have 3 metal wire milk crates on top to haul chainsaws,chains,splitting mauls etc. with me.

the roll way, crane and the buck rack, splitter, ditch witch low impact skidder/ hydraulic power unit

Attachments

• firewood 002.jpg
    firewood 002.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 31
  • firewood 003.jpg
    firewood 003.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 31
  • firewood 006.jpg
    firewood 006.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 30
storage/ drying
rear detail of 3pth skidder arm, if it is set on a log, the angles keep the log centered and you can lift the log and buck it,
the mini forwarder/ dump trailer

Attachments

• firewood 011.jpg
    firewood 011.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • firewood 001.jpg
    firewood 001.jpg
    10.7 MB · Views: 34
  • firewood 007.jpg
    firewood 007.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 35
the only thing that was bought new, was the trailer, and the husky 372, the rest is repurposed , and or came home broken and was repaired
also link to my pedal saw thread, if interested Tirediron pedal powered bucking saw

Forgot the bucher tm850 / jacobsen G4x4plus and the pedal saw

Attachments

• firewood 009.jpg
    firewood 009.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 29
I posted my pedal powered bucking saw in off the grid power, Tirediron pedal powered bucking saw
and that post links to the origonal video Naekid put on his youtube channel

I have made more changes to my system, so that the wood gets handled a few less times, I will post more picture when I get some taken, showing the steps, and where, what I think that I have improved, and my second chinese tractor that I bought for parts which I got running, so now I need to find another parts tractor.

The updates to my stuff , the claw on Hubie 1 made from crap I had laying around. 20 inch pipe cutoff, which I cut in half both ways, hinges are 2 inch chain , hss pieces, and the pins came form a friends junk that I helped him clean up

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
The buck rack on its trolley , staying with my theme made from salvage

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
the rack on the hand truck , a really cold day worth of wood, 15 minutes from swinging the log lengths from the roll way to taking the ramps out of the door,

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
The rest of those 2 seven foot logs on the second rack. I only put my hands on the wood, one to swing the log onto the buck rack, 2 to roll the bucked wood onto the splitter, 3 to take the split off onto the rack. (of course there are multiple chunks) and finally when the wood goes into the stove or onto the rack in the house,

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
my firewood stash is all scrap timber, there is so much about that I just literally pick it up as I walk around.
dont need it until the power goes off post SHTF so it just increases and increases.

My new mission is to improve the buck rack so that I don't have to reach thru the splitter throat to get the next log .
All said I think that I am way ahead of the cookie cutter processor and handling the wood 4000times before it gets to the stove. Still a few more improvements to make,

My new mission is to improve the buck rack so that I don't have to reach thru the splitter throat to get the next log .
All said I think that I am way ahead of the cookie cutter processor and handling the wood 4000times before it gets to the stove. Still a few more improvements to make,
That's just the multiple times warming that cutting, splitting, stacking and taking inside of firewood gives people, the only part I don't care for is when it's raining really hard and I have to cover the firewood on the way into the house to keep it dry.

That's just the multiple times warming that cutting, splitting, stacking and taking inside of firewood gives people, the only part I don't care for is when it's raining really hard and I have to cover the firewood on the way into the house to keep it dry.
I still get warmed up a couple or 3 times, the bonus is it doesn't take much time to do a fridgid days worth of wood, and my shoulders don't hurt for the rest of the day

the only part I don't care for is when it's raining really hard and I have to cover the firewood on the way into the house to keep it dry.
I use (8) Rubbermaid totes to bring wood in the house.
I'll load them up and set them outside the door. I then bring in what I need. Keeps the wood dry and for the most part, keeps the scraps and any bugs inside the container.

1708437623494.png

I used Rubber maids for years , they worked great, except for the multiple handling thing, In cold weather I burn about 4 of the size posted by Zoom Zoom above. they keep the mess to a minimum. One of the problems that I had with them is if the wood was a little damp it didn't dry much in the tote.

I use (8) Rubbermaid totes to bring wood in the house.
I'll load them up and set them outside the door. I then bring in what I need. Keeps the wood dry and for the most part, keeps the scraps and any bugs inside the container.

View attachment 124869
We don't store any firewood in the house. What we do is, on nice days, we just stack a couple weeks of firewood on our roofed porch right next to the sliding glass door. When we need a log or two of firewood, we just slide the door open, grab a stick or two of firewood, bring it through the door and walk two steps inside the house to the woodstove.
1708471443306.jpeg

1708471743644.png

I am very happy with my rack system, I can just slide them off of the hand truck if I want, and I slightly modified a garage creeper to be able to roll one easily

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back