My firewood stuff

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a coal mine just up the road from me, right between me and AlaskaJohn. I took my trailer over and had it loaded up. I talked the folks out of their coal bucket, which I keep next to the wood stove, and a few five gallon buckets are in the attached garage for the ease of access.

I started a fire with wood, tossed most of a pail of coal in the early afternoon. At 0730 the next morning my heat powered fan was still spinning.

thought that I would post a few picks of what I have developed for taking care of my firewood supply
The Chinese tractor and 3 pth skidder, the second picture kind of shows the load carrying brace to the main hitch, so that the 3 pth hydraulics dont' have to take the shock of skidding the log.
Yeah, I have all the tractors, logging winch, log wagon, splitter, etc. BUT I am getting old and the wood is getting heavier. Has anyone used a pellet stove?

Pellet stoves are great. They have two worries. You need a source of pellets and electricity. If you have those things they are fantastic.

I have coal available so my answer is to place a grate in my wood stove, to raise the fire off the floor of the Earth Stove. Coal prefers bottom air. Coal also burns a long time.

Yeah, I have all the tractors, logging winch, log wagon, splitter, etc. BUT I am getting old and the wood is getting heavier. Has anyone used a pellet stove?
I'm right there with you until pellet stove. I can't choke down the expense when I have everything I need for wood harvesting and many acres to get it from.
Oh, and I have a 22 year old son that can do the physical stuff. ;)

I'm right there with you until pellet stove. I can't choke down the expense when I have everything I need for wood harvesting and many acres to get it from.
Oh, and I have a 22 year old son that can do the physical stuff. ;)
The getting older is why my system keeps getting easier, As long as I can climb on the tractor I should be good, my eldest brother started a colt this year, and he has 14 years on me, Dad was still going pretty hard at 75

Last edited:
Pellet stoves are great. They have two worries. You need a source of pellets and electricity. If you have those things they are fantastic.

I have coal available so my answer is to place a grate in my wood stove, to raise the fire off the floor of the Earth Stove. Coal prefers bottom air. Coal also burns a long time.
I have a generator, but I keep a few car batteries around with an inverter.

Ditto. I keep a couple deep cycle marine batteries with inverters attached near each wood stove so I have relatively immediate power to the woodstove blowers. Don't want the stove to get really hot from not running the blower.

I have a couple extras for other things like lights or whatever else may be needed.

Have you looked at my set up , I have managed to take a whole bunch of the heavy lifting out of the process, I don't have to lift any piece of wood that would weigh as much as a bag of pellets. Still a few details to work out but so far a lot less sore joints as compared to the way most people do it. A pellet stove might be alright, look at all the angles

Have you looked at my set up , I have managed to take a whole bunch of the heavy lifting out of the process, I don't have to lift any piece of wood that would weigh as much as a bag of pellets. Still a few details to work out but so far a lot less sore joints as compared to the way most people do it. A pellet stove might be alright, look at all the angles
True, the bag of pellets weigh almost as much as the firewood. I am thinking a pellet stove probably is not the way (weigh?) to go. Still, I have to drop the tree, get it out of the woods, cut, and split. Or buy the firewood.

We don't store any firewood in the house. What we do is, on nice days, we just stack a couple weeks of firewood on our roofed porch right next to the sliding glass door. When we need a log or two of firewood, we just slide the door open, grab a stick or two of firewood, bring it through the door and walk two steps inside the house to the woodstove.
View attachment 124897
View attachment 124906
That's the way my father did it, all child hood, the old house is still standing on the farm.

A lot of innovation and ideas, I bought a house already built and they did not build an ash door on the back of the fireplace for some reason.

I put a slow burner insert in it and had to clean the coals every day through the front doors and just push the ones that started the fire back to the side and take the rest out in a bucket.

It was good heat but somewhat aggravating The wood was under a tarp on the back patio too so the leaves from the tree by the patio, and the bark and all came in with me and then got cleaned up.

After about three years I sold the insert, and put the dreaded gas logs in the fireplace hardly ever used it after, it is just not the same as the wood was, the wood burning smell is a memory maker

The heat was much better the gas was too just warm with the gas wide open and the insert would heat the house to 80 easily if the draft was half open.

Latest posts

Back