My first post: Brisket

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy521

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This one will go about 18 hours then rest for most of tomorrow before supper. Just south of 15lbs. MOSTLY salt and pepper on Post Oak and tiny bit of mesquite at the end. About 8 hours on the smoke then ten wrapped in butcher paper and foil with a couple of cups of drippings from the last brisket.

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_092742_01.jpg
    IMG_20200405_092742_01.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200405_103154875.jpg
    IMG_20200405_103154875.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 12
Yum! Will you shred it and use it in sandwiches?

First time around, I would slice it and eat it with sides, such as coleslaw or baked beans. Next I would have it as sandwiches. I have only made a couple briskets in my life. I do know they need to be cooked for a long time and on a little lower heat when you do one in the oven. I have cooked many roasts at 325 degrees and they turn out very tender.

I'm curious about how much brisket runs a pound where you live? I looked at brisket more than a month ago at Costco and a 15 pound brisket was around $56, so around $3.70 a pound. It was too big and too much for me. I could have cut it up into smaller portions and put it in the freezer, but the freezer is full.

I'm paying about $2.90 per lb but it's brisket country. I do freeze it and it does pretty well vacuum sealed. Maybe go in on one with a neighbor or friend?

Yum! Will you shred it and use it in sandwiches?

First time around, I would slice it and eat it with sides, such as coleslaw or baked beans. Next I would have it as sandwiches. I have only made a couple briskets in my life. I do know they need to be cooked for a long time and on a little lower heat when you do one in the oven. I have cooked many roasts at 325 degrees and they turn out very tender.

I'm curious about how much brisket runs a pound where you live? I looked at brisket more than a month ago at Costco and a 15 pound brisket was around $56, so around $3.70 a pound. It was too big and too much for me. I could have cut it up into smaller portions and put it in the freezer, but the freezer is full.
I'll slice some on both ends for different family members. The slices will be vacuum sealed in different packages labeled wet or dry accordingly. I can always open a package to be shredded and mixed with sauce for chopped beef sandwiches. I'll keep all of the drippings and freeze them for the next brisket or side of beef ribs. The fatty, burnt ends will be set aside for cowboy pinto beans.

Latest posts

Back