My Heart issues.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They got me on ameodorone to regulate my heart rate.

Other drugs to keep my BP down.
Other drugs for congestive heart failure.

My heart rate stays at 45-50 bpm.
BP is 100/55.

My ICD is set for 40and 150 bpm.
And 188 for defib.

Jim

She's on midodrine and salt pills to keep her BP up and Nadolol to keep her heart rate down. She's also on indomethacin to try to stop her migraines and Acarbose to try to keep her blood sugar from dropping after meals. Her bp drops as low as 60/20 and her hr has been as low as 39 and over 250. She also has Gastroparesis.

She's on midodrine and salt pills to keep her BP up and Nadolol to keep her heart rate down. She's also on indomethacin to try to stop her migraines and Acarbose to try to keep her blood sugar from dropping after meals. Her bp drops as low as 60/20 and her hr has been as low as 39 and over 250. She also has Gastroparesis.
I'm on amiodarone and hydrochlorathyazide. Have to be careful what I take because I have chronic kidney disease. Getting old is not for sissies.

Had my visit with electrophysiologist today.
He was very happy with what he seen on my defibl/pacemaker today.
No more up down erratic spiking in past 3 months.

He attributed it too mostly the Entresto and amiodorone.

Cut me down to half of amiodorone because of my thyroid, one should be enough.

I told him how much better I been feeling .
He could see why.

I'm happy, he's happy.
Next appointment Feb 2022.

Jim

He could see why.

I'm happy, he's happy.

Jim
I like that, Jim. Keep it up!

He could see why.

I'm happy, he's happy.

Jim
Good for you. My cardiologist let me regulate my amiodarone until heart rate stayed normal. He said he knew I could do it. I got it down from 600mg to 200mg and now the rate stays normal. To get an appt. a year off means you are doing good.

@rusty , he told me to cut my amiodorone back to 1 a day which is 200 mg from 400 mg.

Less affect on my thyroid , I'm also going to cut my Synthroid in half.

Jim
I came home on 600mg a day. He told me to watch my heart rate and cut it down as needed. I am on 200mg a day too, now. I guess they know I am very careful. After I was diagnosed with kidney disease, I made sure my blood pressure stayed normal. I have managed to cut my creatine level from 3. to 1.3, which is high normal. I did not know that amiodarone could affect your thyroid. They have increased my levothyroxine a little in the last year.

I was having small chest pains for a week , I thought was heartburn , I had a headache for 2 weeks , I couldn't get rid of.

Then one day I was pumping diesel in the skid steer, boom, I woke up in an ambulance.

Common symptoms are chest pains but not always. Some just feel lousy that won't stop.
Severe headache that won't go away left shoulder pain.

Don't. Wait . Every minute counts.

Jim
I was feeling a bit off for a few days. Flew out to AZ on 2/1. Went to work 2/2 and about 9am started feeling tightness in my torso and left shoulder. Not too bad, but it was different than anything I've ever felt. Then I remembered this thread.

I was taken by ambulance to Yuma regional. They put me through a battery of tests, and thankfully my heart and all the plumbing that goes with it came through with flying colors. So it isn't a cardiac issue, although the cause is still unknown. The docs think it's some kind of inflammation in the chest cavity or chest wall. (My lungs were clear on the X-rays)

So, although I don't know what is going on, I do know that I'm not in any immediate danger from it. Thanks Jim, and everybody else, for posting this thread. If it really was my heart, it might have been a life saver...

Any chest pain, shoulder aching, shortness of breath , heartburn that will not ease up, headaches you can't get rid of.
DO NOT hesitate to go to ER.

It might save your life or least save your heart muscle.

Believe me , if you hold off , and have a heart attack...it will change the way you live forever.

Jim

I was feeling a bit off for a few days. Flew out to AZ on 2/1. Went to work 2/2 and about 9am started feeling tightness in my torso and left shoulder. Not too bad, but it was different than anything I've ever felt. Then I remembered this thread.

I was taken by ambulance to Yuma regional. They put me through a battery of tests, and thankfully my heart and all the plumbing that goes with it came through with flying colors. So it isn't a cardiac issue, although the cause is still unknown. The docs think it's some kind of inflammation in the chest cavity or chest wall. (My lungs were clear on the X-rays)

So, although I don't know what is going on, I do know that I'm not in any immediate danger from it. Thanks Jim, and everybody else, for posting this thread. If it really was my heart, it might have been a life saver...

Hi @Spikedriver hope you get it nailed down quickly. Hope you don't have to stay in the hospital. I spent a couple of weeks in isolation there a few decades back, not a fun place, nice sunsets if you get a west facing room... are you guy working out towards Dome Valley or YPG? Get a green chili burrito at the Chili Pepper or Mr. Gs while you're in town....

We're east of Yuma at Wellton. I'm out now, got a clean bill and just waiting for all the paperwork to clear the Corporate health department so I can go back to work...

My dad used to live just south of there, I used to shoot coyotes out of his garden, I believe it was 3rd off ramp after you come down out of telegraph pass, then south, just a touch north of the AF bombing range. Sometimes the jets would fly down through there just off the deck (Low enough to kick up dust), fun to watch. I left there in 88, back twice, once when he died in 89, the second time was when mom died in 94. Don't miss the sand in my teeth, but I have to admit to being a Desert Rat....

My dad used to live just south of there, I used to shoot coyotes out of his garden, I believe it was 3rd off ramp after you come down out of telegraph pass, then south, just a touch north of the AF bombing range. Sometimes the jets would fly down through there just off the deck (Low enough to kick up dust), fun to watch. I left there in 88, back twice, once when he died in 89, the second time was when mom died in 94. Don't miss the sand in my teeth, but I have to admit to being a Desert Rat....
Where I'm from, everything is green in summer and white in winter. At Yuma, everything is a shade of brown. It takes some getting used to. I'm most certainly not a desert rat...

Where I'm from, everything is green in summer and white in winter. At Yuma, everything is a shade of brown. It takes some getting used to. I'm most certainly not a desert rat...
I have been asked if I would ever go back.... There is the story about the 1800s Horse Solder stationed in Yuma. He died and went to HeL>, next night his ghost came back for his blankets....

No the only thing worth going back there for is a combination plate and a green chili burrito from The Chili Pepper, or MR. G's (they are owned by the same family), when I was there it was La Casa Gutierrez (e.g. Mr G's).

I spent a New Years Eve, about 45 miles east of where you are, changing out a set of blown tires on the back of an old truck. Growing up being a road call tire man in that neck of the woods is not something I would encourage; but I did it for 15 years before leaving to attend the UofA in Tucson, you might say I was motivated to succeed.

After I left I was amazed at how gray and pastie everything there looked, kind of bleached out...

Well, my follow up after escaping from the hospital confirmed what I thought. Afib is back. Blood pressure below normal but heart rate ranges from 110 to 140.

See a new doc next month about them doing an ablation and inserting a defibrillator. From what I have read, I can expect 3 to 6 months before back to 100%

I also got a call last night that my dad is in the hospital with what sounds like the same thing. Thinking back to my grandpa, I think he had the same thing.

Well I'm among good company here. Brief history, bad heart attack 2006 resulting in a stent. Lost me twice before they got me to El Paso. July 2007, 1st defibrillator. It went off 3 times. July 2014 2nd shocker installed and then a few years later diagnosed with Afib. I have congestive heart failure as a result of all this. Maintenance drugs because I'll never get better. Grateful for my wife and thankful the good Lord let's me wake up everyday. Bugging out will never happen so I'm working on staying put. Hopefully will get completely out of debt before the end of the year. Only 49 and forced to retire after the 1st defib installed. 63 now and hoping I have many more years left. Good luck to all.

Well I'm among good company here. Brief history, bad heart attack 2006 resulting in a stent. Lost me twice before they got me to El Paso. July 2007, 1st defibrillator. It went off 3 times. July 2014 2nd shocker installed and then a few years later diagnosed with Afib. I have congestive heart failure as a result of all this. Maintenance drugs because I'll never get better. Grateful for my wife and thankful the good Lord let's me wake up everyday. Bugging out will never happen so I'm working on staying put. Hopefully will get completely out of debt before the end of the year. Only 49 and forced to retire after the 1st defib installed. 63 now and hoping I have many more years left. Good luck to all.
You and I have a lot in common.

I had my first heart attack at age 50.

Defib , meds, stents , congestive heart failure for over 10 years.
In my 70fh decade , looking at 80th.

Good meds and doctors have got me feeling pretty good.

Can't do much anymore , but I manage.

Jim

Doc might want to install a defibrillator. I told my family that if I ever look like this they know what is happening.
electric-shock-figure-cartoon-vector-22923019.jpg

Man! Y'all got me feeling pretty dang good!:thumbs:
Got my cholesterol under control 2 decades ago and I keep my BP out of the stratosphere.
My doctor> "Well, you're no fun!:(".

My wife's nephew had a heart attack at 44. It was caused by an aneurysm. He dropped dead on the kitchen floor. The EMTs tried but couldn't save him.
I worked with a nurse that had a son born with some sort of heart problem. He had a pacemaker installed when he was a baby. It was replaced when he was around 13. He was found dead beside his dirtbike at 15. The month before they had his pacemaker tested and everything was good. It turned out there was a problem and it malfunctioned.
We found a driver sitting in his truck dead. Massive heart attack at 63.
The moral of this story is never take tomorrow for granted.

I was the lead medic on a call where a guy was cut loose from ER, had a heart attack leaving the hospital, crossed two lanes of the main road, idled across a parking lot, and came to rest against a Forest Service building causing zero damage. We got the call after daylight.

I had my heart attack less than two weeks after a clean bill of health, including a 12 lead. **** happens.

Back