My Heart issues.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry , my best friend died from heart attack in 2019, my dad has heart issues ( he had an electric shock box installed)

I went to the hospital 3 times with what I thought was a heart attack, turned out to be panic attacks. I have had a few lately, and take an anxiety pill and wait half an hour to see if the symptoms go away before doing anything else. They did. I hate having those. One day I am going to have a real one and not even know.

I rook a valuim once 40 yr ago and it caused me to have an anxiety attack. Of course some people need them Meds don't work good for me all the time,once I took a diet pill and when it hit me going down the dirt road I said pull over and took off running. No more of that crap. I drink my meds, it doen't sneak up on you ,well not often.

My Dad was waiting to have one of his bypass surgeries done. His Cardiologist asked him if we were his sons. He said yes. The doctor looked at us and said what your dad has in hereditary. Take an aspirin every day, starting today. I take one every day even tho a VA doctor said new studies indicate taking aspirin daily might not be good for you.
My SIL was at the house one day and she was complaining about not feeling well. Took her BP and it was sky-high. My brother took her to ER and she had had a heart attack. She survived. She was only 52 at the time.
Women have different symptoms than men so they need to pay close attention.

Y'all have given me a reminder to check that I have Aspirin. I carry a bottle in my work backpack everywhere I go for work, along with ibuprofen and a small, personalized first aid kit. I'm not sure I've ever opened the bottle in my pack. It could be two years past it's date for all I know. Time to check and see...

Women have different symptoms than men so they need to pay close attention.

This is important......and people should be aware of the difference.

IF..
you have anything unusual , chest pains, that you think even remotely could be something heart related.
GO to ER.

Chest pains , almost heart attack can be bad, but there's a big difference than a full blown Myocardio Infarction ( heart attack) because it destroys heart muscle that never repairs.
That changes your life drastically.

Jim

Very common for women to have zero chest pain, zero arm pain. They have different symptoms that are more dangerous. My friend in her mid 40's was home all day on a Sunday with her husband, she kept saying she did not feel right. That went on and on for six hours, he kept asking if she wanted to go to the doctor or ER, she kept saying, no. But that she just did not feel right. Finally he over ruled, and took her to ER, she died less then two hours after she entered ER.

They were both good friends. I had dinner with him a week after. The doctor told him, that often women have completely different symptoms, and that is what makes it so dangerous for them.

I was having small chest pains for a week , I thought was heartburn , I had a headache for 2 weeks , I couldn't get rid of.

Then one day I was pumping diesel in the skid steer, boom, I woke up in an ambulance.

Common symptoms are chest pains but not always. Some just feel lousy that won't stop.
Severe headache that won't go away left shoulder pain.

Don't. Wait . Every minute counts.

Jim

I was having small chest pains for a week , I thought was heartburn , I had a headache for 2 weeks , I couldn't get rid of.

Then one day I was pumping diesel in the skid steer, boom, I woke up in an ambulance.

Common symptoms are chest pains but not always. Some just feel lousy that won't stop.
Severe headache that won't go away left shoulder pain.

Don't. Wait . Every minute counts.

Jim

It's been about 6 years since I last had my heart checked ( 2 days in hospital, they did every test known to mankind) , and they found nothing. No blockage, no nothing. My psychiatrist at the time told me "if you have chest pain or any other weird symptoms, take an anxiety pill ( xanax) and wait at least half an hour before you do anything. If it gets better, it is not a heart attack. If it doesn't , go to hospital. Anxiety issues run in my family, so do heart problems. My dad has a genetic one, not clogged arteries. After 2 days and stress in the hospital, I stopped going to any doctor period. Once I quit my job and moved to our farm, my anxiety went completely away. I didn't take a pill ( except for flying once) in about 3 years until my accident in 2018, and it's been getting worse since then, once ******* problem after another that causes me stress. Finally last September I had another full blown attack ( or maybe it was a heart problem), heart racing like crazy , felt weak, and lightheaded. I took a pill and laid down, it went away after about an hour or less. But weird symptoms have been coming up on and off. Been fine for about 2 weeks, but this morning I was cleaning the barn and my heart started skipping a beat, doing weird crap again plus felt pressure in my head and chest pain. Husband made me go to the house. I took a shower, and a pill. Ok now . I don't know how long it takes to develop a heart problem, but I should probably get it checked again, but I don't want to. I dont have a real doctor, I don't have time for this, my animals need me, plus I really don't want to catch covid at the doctors or the hospital they will send me to. Everytime I go see a doctor for this sort of thing, they send me to the hospital for tests. Trying to wait at least until spring, but I am about out of my 2 year old anxiety pills, so might become unavoidable. Husband thinks I should just not take a pill and see what happens, but I have tried that, and the symptoms just don't go away and I am just over the top miserable and can't function. SO there you have it.

One more thing, for those of you that have never experienced it, panic attacks and anxiety issues might me all in your head, but the symptoms can be very very physically real. Full blown attack, I have chest pain, feels like an elephant is sitting on it, can't swallow, can't breathe well, my arms have gone numb, my stomach can hurt, my hands and feet turn like ice, lightheaded, or pressure in head, it's really aweful.

Last edited:
Been in the hospital for a couple weeks now and finally they decided to shock the heart back into rythm. I have had a cardioiinversion before, never felt a thing. This time the navy added a few words to their remaining manuals.

Your brain and all other organs in your body requires a large , continuos flow of blood .

Think about a large liquid , vacuum pump. It sucks in a gallon of water , pumps out just over half.

Now you speed that pump up faster, it's only drawing in a half gallon , and pumping out less than a quart.

Now speed it up to extreme , and it only draws in a table spoon.. nothing pumps out.

My last tachycardia was up to 182 pumps per minute, nothing much being drawn in , nothing pumping to brain and body.
Dizzy first , nausea , some chest pain, then almost unconscious , breathing is labored, just before you pass out and die. Just before they shock you they inject a drug that makes you hallucinate and forget..
You don't forget.

WHAM !.... they hit you with the paddles ,twice in some cases..
Immediately your revived , pulse rate is back to 70 bps . Your weak and tired , but feel good .

Jim

Thanks, The docs don't know how to stop it and her low BP meds and high heart rate meds work against each other.
They got me on ameodorone to regulate my heart rate.

Other drugs to keep my BP down.
Other drugs for congestive heart failure.

My heart rate stays at 45-50 bpm.
BP is 100/55.

My ICD is set for 40and 150 bpm.
And 188 for defib.

Jim

Last March I could feel my heart racing. Went to the ER. It was at 168 bpm. They stopped and restarted my heart, that was scary and it did no good. Fourth med they tried started bringing it down. Went home after 3 days. They warned me that the meds might quit working at any time. If it does I will need heart surgery. Tired and short of breath all the time. So far the rate is staying around 60. bp 118/68.

Take care Rusty. The heart surgery is no fun but the nurses are really cute and only the best get to work CCU.
I am not the kind that slows down. I have cut up a couple trees and have one more to go. Not going to lay down and die.

Last March I could feel my heart racing. Went to the ER. It was at 168 bpm. They stopped and restarted my heart, that was scary and it did no good. Fourth med they tried started bringing it down. Went home after 3 days. They warned me that the meds might quit working at any time. If it does I will need heart surgery. Tired and short of breath all the time. So far the rate is staying around 60. bp 118/68.

They tried the chemical stop and restart on me without success 3 times last year.

It is scary , I actually died for about 15 seconds.

That's what the shock does is electicaly stop the heart and hope it starts back at a normal rate. Last resort.

Jim

Hope the meds keep working and no surgery. 🙏

I am not the kind that slows down. I have cut up a couple trees and have one more to go. Not going to lay down and die.

Be careful, that's what i said too.

Almost killed me.

Go very slow.
The last time I had it , I was overdoing and got my heart racing from work .it just wouldn't slow down.

Jim

Latest posts

Back