My hot shot experiment.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I put one finger-sized pepper in a pint of tequila and left it two weeks.
It did not get hot, BUT it seemed to mellow the flavor. 3 of five stars.

Didja slice the pepper at all? Enquiring minds want to know, lol... ;)
Right down the middle, seeds and all. I'm thinking the pepper was a dud.
Next time I'll try a red chili.
With tequila? I'd experiment with vodka, a blank pallet you can flavor countless ways. I rarely drink though... have plenty on hand for making tinctures. 🙂
I prefer sweet things in vodka, peaches, Christmas/peppermint candy, butterscotch rounds, cherry pie filling, apples, brown sugar lumps, I'm planning on trying bananas eventually. maybe add some cinnamon?

Personally, I Love 'chile-beer' (usually like a jalapeño or banana in a light pilsner, 'Corona-style', etc.. Mmmm-Mmm.. 👍

I also like 'Cayenne-infused ("spicy") Dark Chocolate'.. :eek: Crzy as it sounds, it's Really Good.. Then again, I also ingest 'Cholula' by the tablespoon, "just because"... 🤪

I'm starting to think maybe I just may be an 'endorphins-junkie'?... 🤔🤓

jd

Picked a batch of Jalepeno peppers, let the experiment begin :). Peppers were a nice level of hot, not deadly, but certainly noticable.

IMG_0837.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

Either caramelize a cup of sugar or brown sugar in a double boiler and cut your peppers into 1/2" chunks and dip them into the molten sugar and lay them on a cold plate to cure
with tongs and stick a raisin in the middle if you want candy or just puree 1 cup and add them to a cup of boiling molasses and some raisins for spread. just let the spread cool and cure a week before use. the fire nuggets are done as soon as the sugar hardens. if its too stiff, remelt it and add some light oil.

Either caramelize a cup of sugar or brown sugar in a double boiler and cut your peppers into 1/2" chunks and dip them into the molten sugar and lay them on a cold plate to cure
with tongs and stick a raisin in the middle if you want candy or just puree 1 cup and add them to a cup of boiling molasses and some raisins for spread. just let the spread cool and cure a week before use. the fire nuggets are done as soon as the sugar hardens. if its too stiff, remelt it and add some light oil.
TYVM

NPAA! :)
Save a couple of cups of habaneros to back up the jalapenos for my thermonuclear pickled egg recipe! It is the ONLY recipe on earth safety gear is required for! This recipe is proprietary of the now defunct (As in probably got burned for the insurance!) Crowbar.

1-gallon jug.
Safety glasses.
Rubber gloves.
an apron.
1/4 cup each of habaneros and Jalapenos, and RED onion finely chopped.
1 crushed clove of Elephant garlic. Or just puree it all.
In a double boiler heat 1/4 cup of bourbon and 1/4 cup of molasses until it's all fluid.
Fold in the peppers and coat thoroughly, add a large pinch of dill, a large pinch of red pepper, and a pinch of ground cloves. continue to stir and add white vinegar and an optional shot of red food dye or 1/4 cup of pickled beet juice. when it starts to simmer, transfer to your gallon jug and drop in a dozen boiled and shelled eggs. slowly add hot vinegar. let sit somewhere cool and dark for one month.
The joke was, the first one was a buck, the second one was free, but no matter how many you ate, you were going to buy ten bucks worth of beer to wash the fire out! (1995 prices!)

A couple pinches of cayenne pepper mixed in a can of cranberry sauce makes a nice condiment with a roast or fried bird...

NPAA! :)
Save a couple of cups of habaneros to back up the jalapenos for my thermonuclear pickled egg recipe! It is the ONLY recipe on earth safety gear is required for! This recipe is proprietary of the now defunct (As in probably got burned for the insurance!) Crowbar.

1-gallon jug.
Safety glasses.
Rubber gloves.
an apron.
1/4 cup each of habaneros and Jalapenos, and RED onion finely chopped.
1 crushed clove of Elephant garlic. Or just puree it all.
In a double boiler heat 1/4 cup of bourbon and 1/4 cup of molasses until it's all fluid.
Fold in the peppers and coat thoroughly, add a large pinch of dill, a large pinch of red pepper, and a pinch of ground cloves. continue to stir and add white vinegar and an optional shot of red food dye or 1/4 cup of pickled beet juice. when it starts to simmer, transfer to your gallon jug and drop in a dozen boiled and shelled eggs. slowly add hot vinegar. let sit somewhere cool and dark for one month.
The joke was, the first one was a buck, the second one was free, but no matter how many you ate, you were going to buy ten bucks worth of beer to wash the fire out! (1995 prices!)
Thanks for that lol I have to go change now thanks to my hubs drooling over this 😆

Latest posts

Back