My ignored prep - shaving

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like a clean face and shave pretty near everyday, and very rarely go more than a day without shaving.

While I have a lifetime of blades stashed away, not so for shaving cream. In my mind, I was simply going to use hot soap and water to prep my face to shave.

Is there a better solution than stashing away a boatload of overpriced shaving cream that takes up a considerable space and more money than I want to spend on this luxury? Is there a more budget and storage space friendly option? Or is hot soapy water my best bet if I want to keep my face free of hair during the zombie apocalypse?

I like a clean face and shave pretty near everyday, and very rarely go more than a day without shaving.

While I have a lifetime of blades stashed away, not so for shaving cream. In my mind, I was simply going to use hot soap and water to prep my face to shave.

Is there a better solution than stashing away a boatload of overpriced shaving cream that takes up a considerable space and more money than I want to spend on this luxury? Is there a more budget and storage space friendly option? Or is hot soapy water my best bet if I want to keep my face free of hair during the zombie apocalypse?
Get some shaving soap and lathering brushes. The soap will keep indefinitely and brushes last a long time even if you shave every day. The little round discs of soap take up very little space. The only other thing you need is a cheap coffee mug to put the soap in and you're golden!

Just keep your axe sharp. That is all that is needed. The guy below is from Ely, MN. I have met him. He is the real deal.
1639178871263.png

Here is how to do it ==>

I switched back to the old double edge safety razors a few years ago, have the brush, soap. I probably have enough blades and soap for 10yrs. For now I use shaving soap from a can...

If I'm not leaving the farm for a reason I might go 4 or 5 days without a shave. Sometimes I knock off the ends with a beard trimmer. The cheap disposable razors get clogged easily with stubble. Safety razors were the answer, they'll take off a 4 day beard in a wink. They're easy to clean. I only change blades every 2 or 3 months.

My back up, my grandfathers old straight razor & strop, plus another new one in a box.

Cost is minimal, $100 should get all you need.

Last edited:
Double edge safety razor, I like the "Feather" blades, they are sharp as 💩 and last well. For soap, I use :Robot or human?(link is safe, Williams mug soap from Walmart)

A coffee mug and brush, and you too can be set for a long long time.

It would be fine with me if I never shaved again.

I used to guide during my summer breaks in college and I would be out for 30 days at a time with the groups I was guiding. That was the only time in my life that I have gone more than a couple days in a row without shaving since about 9th grade. I never liked it. I suppose I could get used to it If I had to.

I have a lifetime worth of shaving supplies. Wait, I don't have any shaving supplies. The last time I shaved was in 1973 when the Army reactivated me and sat me down in a barber chair. My wife has never seen me without a beard. There are no DMV or passport photos of me without a beard. Is that a prep?

I shave in the shower using the same shampoo I use on my hair.
I use el-cheapo disposable razors that cost less than 20¢ each and I get 6 months out of each one :oops:.
The Mrs keeps us stocked with shampoo, and I always have at least 3 years worth of razors on hand.
12 for $1.89
GUEST_f76172e3-a108-4e6c-bcd1-75f6d8438dc4

I have a grand total of twice since Oct of 1978. Both times were to be fit tested for a respirator for work. Wife told me to grow it back. She had never saw me without a beard
Mine told me I could grow a mustache if I wanted to........but her new husband wouldn't have one :oops:.

I shave in the shower using the same shampoo I use on my hair.
I use el-cheapo disposable razors that cost less than 20¢ each and I get 6 months out of each one :oops:.
The Mrs keeps us stocked with shampoo, and I always have at least 3 years worth of razors on hand.
12 for $1.89
GUEST_f76172e3-a108-4e6c-bcd1-75f6d8438dc4
I wish I could use those. My neck breaks out whenever I do.

I use the generic version of the expensive 5 blade razors with the little trimmer blade on the back. I normally have a beard and I only shave my neck and cheeks clean about 6 or 7 times a month. Otherwise I just knock it back with the beard trimmer. But I shave my head several times a month so razors don't last too long...

I've had a mustache since 1973. I've even forgot what I look like without one.
I always had one my adult life until shortly after we married in 1990.
Then it just disappeared...
Imagine that. :rolleyes:
If I have more than 2 days worth of fuzz on my face, she won't even kiss me.:(
Damn it's nice being part Indian! LOL I grow a little stubble on my chin. It's taken many,many years to grow my stache. I still have a hard time growing it in the middle at 55. (Note the picture)
I worked with a guy that was mostly indian. He never had to shave AT ALL!
Had a mirror-smooth face too.
Lucky!

I always had one my adult life until shortly after we married in 1990.
Then it just disappeared...
Imagine that. :rolleyes:
If I have more than 2 days worth of fuzz on my face, she won't even kiss me.:(
I worked with a guy that was mostly indian. He never had to shave AT ALL!
Had a mirror-smooth face too.
Lucky!
I grew mine at 13. Current wife, and ex never saw me without one

WOW........So many "sissy" men, I am shocked. I use a torch........... dancing chicken

..Is there a better solution than stashing away a boatload of overpriced shaving cream ..

Well.. Given that I 'gave up on shaving, daily', several years ago, If / as I need a 'trim'.. I - no exaggeration - just use the trimmers on our Dog's 'Wahls', heh.. :p But, if/when I need to go 'clean' - I'm straight razor / shaving-soap in mug, all the way.. :cool:

Fwiw, I really like this Co's stuff: https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/65301/knives/nordic-shaving-company-shaving-soap-juniper-80g (..same 'Outlet' I got my 'Boker' and strop, etc.. and coupla 'Hachas Jauregi' axes, also.. 👍 ) because it doesn't Dry my face (#1 'complaint' for me, with shaving, period..)

..but, since that's Clearly a 'finite resource', I've put back a Lot of 'Yucca root', for DIYing soap, ie:

(..like a Lot of that guy's other content, as well.. 👍) And, while 'Bacon-grease / Lye soap' is Totally doable (have Also made quite a bit / put back the stuff to DIY, later..) that, Imo, might end up being 'harsh', long term..

..So, I've Also put back a TON of 'FOTE's Aloe Vera Gel, ie: https://fote.com/product/aloe-vera-gel-12oz/ ..which is Outstanding as a 'multi-purpose gel', Great for shaving / post-shave moisturizing / 'hair gel', and on and on..

..But, since that stuff is Also a finite resource, we Also grow Aloe Plant, right in the Kitchen / side-porch.. Super easy to get started, and keep it growing, perennially. Easy to simply grind / food-processor-up, and add a Bit of Vitamin E oil (If you wish..) for a solid moisturizer / 'shave gel'... :cool:

Fwiw..
jd

I tried to go beardless, a few times, but I have a weird combination of thick whiskers and pretty soft skin, the best luck I had for blade razors was single blade disposibles, they didn't plug, but I have pretty much given up on shaving because my bear really grows back in fast,when I shave and my skin doesn't like it so I just let the beard grow, that and I look so much like my Dad it kind of freaks my younger sisters out.

I had a mustache for many years & a full beard for a few years, even long hair a few years.
But I shave now, I have dry shaved with a new razor, but you have to take your time.
I now use a Norelco, instead of a blade & it is easy, fast & clean.
If SHTF I would let it grow & use scissors to trim it.
I would not worry about kiss, as long as I put food on the table, someone would kiss me.
May even form a line............ :rolleyes:

I've had a mustache since 1973. I've even forgot what I look like without one.
I have shaved mine off about 3 times in 40 years, my wife thinks my upper lip looks freakishly long when it is naked. I only shave once a week. It took a year for Gillette to feel the sting of losing my business. Good post I need to get soap and a brush for the wife. 😉

WOW........So many "sissy" men, I am shocked. I use a torch........... dancing chicken
Not so funny. I did that once....sorta. I have a long handlebar mustache that I wax everyday. Well, about a year or so ago, I was relighting a cigar stub that I held in my teeth. The next thing I knew was my mustache was up in flames. I guess that fire and mustache wax don't mix.
1.JPG

Latest posts

Back