My Little Bump In The Road Of Life

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So lately I haven't been on this site for my general daily post reading. I've been having shortness of breath and swelling of my feet and calves. I had a chiropractor appointment and he is a very good one that is very concerned for our health and wellbeing, he had mention to my wife that he felt I was having some issues and when he saw my swelling he told me I should go to a doctor right away and he set me up for an appointment the next day, anyway that doctor told me that I have congestive heart failure and that I also had water in my lungs but he had good news, that it can be taken care of by getting rid of the water build up with Lasix (generic type), I also have to take Potassium Cloride, anyway I'm already feeling better and sleeping better, no crackling from my lungs, hopefully I missed the bullet on this one, the doctor said I'd be using these meds from now on. At least I figure this is not bad for making it to 75 without major issues. I did have some indicators that something was going on in that I was always cold for some time, I spent a lot of time sitting on the edge of the stove pedistal with my back to our wood stove.

I'm so glad your warning bells worked in time for you to reach out for help! Sometimes these bells can be wake-up calls and blessings in disguise because they can lead to many good side effects from treatment and a healthier diet and lifestyle.

Praying for your continuing success!

"Lasik" is Laser eye surgery, Lasix is a diuretic:

LASIX® is a diuretic which is an anthranilic acid derivative. LASIX tablets for oral administration contain furosemide as the active ingredient and the following inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate NF, magnesium stearate NF, starch NF, talc USP, and colloidal silicon dioxide NF. Chemically, it is 4-chloro-N-furfuryl-5-sulfamoylanthranilic acid. LASIX is available as white tablets for oral administration in dosage strengths of 20, 40 and 80 mg. Furosemide is a white to off-white odorless crystalline powder. It is practically insoluble in water, sparingly soluble in alcohol, freely soluble in dilute alkali solutions and insoluble in dilute acids.

The CAS Registry Number is 54-31-9.

Dademoss and Backlash: Nothing to be sorry about, both members made good posts. Backlash answered Sonya-6's question (thanks) and Dademoss detailed the drug (thanks). Super members helping out a super forum, what more could you ask for?

Oh okay! Sorry for the dumb question, I just couldn't imagine how lasers could easily stop fluid buildup.
Easy to get confused, I only know cause my DW has had both :) The Lasik was cool to watch on the monitor :)

I hope you're feeling back to normal again soon, viking! Take it easy and get well.

Good you got to the Doc. Be religious about taking those meds. Try to work in a little half-hour walk every day if you can, but only after you're feeling better. Had an in-law relative go through this at 73 - he made it another 20 years. Hope your prognosis is at least as good.

S...I've been having shortness of breath and swelling of my feet and calves... congestive heart failure and that I also had water in my lungs but he had good news, that it can be taken care of by getting rid of the water build up with Lasix (generic type), I also have to take Potassium Cloride, anyway ... not bad for making it to 75 without major issues. ...

Glad it was a "simple" fix. Men have a tendency to wave off going to a Doctor for some reason. I'm glad you didn't.

Ever since I've can remember Doctors have always told me to gain some weight. 18 years ago when I had my last annual physical the Doctor said I could stand to lose a little weight. I wish they'd make up their minds!

Lasix? Like laser surgery for your eyes gets rid of fluid buildup around the heart and in the lungs?
Or is that the name of a drug?

Glad they caught it in time and you are feeling better!
It's a water pill, yeah it's strange that it's pronounced like the laser surgery, but it really has removed a lot of water out of my system and my ankles and legs are much better and I'm breathing much better. Thanks everyone, viking

It's a water pill, yeah it's strange that it's pronounced like the laser surgery, but it really has removed a lot of water out of my system and my ankles and legs are much better and I'm breathing much better. Thanks everyone, viking
My daughter's dog has liver issues, essentially cirrhosis of the liver, causing her belly to swell up. This began for her when she was around 3 or 4 months old. She takes 8 pills a day: furosemide (lasix), spironolactone, ursodial, and denamarin. She drinks lots of water and pees a lot. She also takes a heart worm pill once a month. Her medication is more than $10 a day.

Back