My new dog has a mean streak.......and I don't like it!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering how all this turned out? I had a gorgeous lab puppy similar. Spent ages training him, and he was brilliantly behaved- could take his food away, etc, until someone went past the house. Then he'd run out all teeth and agro. The moment we'd yell he'd stop and trot back in like nothing had happened. He ran out after another dog and a neighbour got in the way and got a nip, so I gave him to a man who I knew pretty well as a guard dog. The man lived down a driveway a mile long and had a huge garden. But about a year later I was doing social media for work and spotted his pic in the 'found' section locally. He'd wandered off so I took him back. The same again. Finally he ran out (didn't bite) a mother and boy who hid behind their bicycles and my husband saw it. Said the dog even frightened him, although the minute he spoke the dog just stopped. the poor lad nearly fell apart. So, we gave up, and got him put down. Still sits badly with me.

Wondering how all this turned out? I had a gorgeous lab puppy similar. Spent ages training him, and he was brilliantly behaved- could take his food away, etc, until someone went past the house. Then he'd run out all teeth and agro. The moment we'd yell he'd stop and trot back in like nothing had happened. He ran out after another dog and a neighbour got in the way and got a nip, so I gave him to a man who I knew pretty well as a guard dog. The man lived down a driveway a mile long and had a huge garden. But about a year later I was doing social media for work and spotted his pic in the 'found' section locally. He'd wandered off so I took him back. The same again. Finally he ran out (didn't bite) a mother and boy who hid behind their bicycles and my husband saw it. Said the dog even frightened him, although the minute he spoke the dog just stopped. the poor lad nearly fell apart. So, we gave up, and got him put down. Still sits badly with me.
Reminds me of the dog that my friends found abandoned at our neighborhood dog park. Everything was fine, until it wasn't. It wasn't even a year old, and it would have moments where it would go after everyone and everything. It had to be put down.

Neighbors had a dog like this as well. They had worked with a few trainers with their dog. It got out, ran across a busy street and bit a woman. They realized they couldn't keep her because their 12 year old daughter has friends over and it would always be a risk. They were able to rehome the dog, but it took them a while to find a suitable situation. I have huge respect for their integrity in how they handled the situation.

And then there is a story of a man who beat his dog to death on a city street, then drove away. No idea what happened and caused him to do what he did. Police are still looking for the man, a year later. A difficult dog needs to be put down humanely as well, and not be beaten to death where others might see it happen or find the body later.

My son had a Saint Bernard that was just the nicest dog ever. His neighbor in military housing poisoned several dog in the neighborhood and his was one of them.
After his dog was poisoned she totally changed. She could not be trusted around anyone but my son.
The dog bit a guy that went to pet him even though he had been told to stay away.
My son had the dog put down the next day.
When a Saint Bernard bits someone in the face it's not pretty.
The neighbor was caught and kicked out of base housing and charged with animal cruelty.
My dog thinks it's his job to bark at every person that walks by or comes to the gate. I guess he's right.
He has never been aggressive he just wants to play fetch.
I took my him to obedience classes. It turned out the classes were for me more than the dog.
The trainer said it's the owners that are usually the weak link in training.
She was right.

We did the best we could, but apparently it wasn't meant to be. I know the Humane Society manager and spoke with her about the issues we had. Sadly, we both came to the conclusion that the best thing would be to humanely put him down. Neither of us wanted that, but it was inevitable for the safety of all. I don't know where his demons came from, but we couldn't risk him biting anyone else unprovoked. I'm still angry that the person we got him from wasn't truthful about him, but I guess we shouldn't have trusted a stranger. Our bad.

On a more positive note, we have since found a beautiful baby girl that we are spoiling now. We got her at 7 weeks, so we don't have to worry about this situation again.

My dog thinks it's his job to bark at every person that walks by or comes to the gate. I guess he's right.
He has never been aggressive he just wants to play fetch.
This is called fence guarding. When I board dogs at my house, most of them run the fence and bark at the people and dogs going by. When the people going by stop and talk to the dogs, it changes everything in their behavior. Most of them will stand on their hind legs and respond kindly to the strangers talking to them.
On a more positive note, we have since found a beautiful baby girl that we are spoiling now. We got her at 7 weeks, so we don't have to worry about this situation again.
So glad to hear you have a new baby and that you will have the opportunity to bring it up in a positive home. Some people completely lack in their ability to be honest and lack in integrity. They serve themselves, and themselves only.

Landshark has improved enough where I don't consider getting her put down anymore.
From what I'm seeing a lot of her temperament issues and physical issues - coming into season, over the top aggression while in season and during her phantom pregnancy, phantom pregnancy, phantom births would be solved by getting her desexed.
She's always going to have issues with allergies to grasses and eating grains which leads to chronic ear infections and sore paws.
I also get the feeling that she will always be an over the top spaz with selective hearing.

I got to save up for her desexing because she's one hell of a hefty heifer!
The price goes sky high when the bitch is over 20 kgs.
Last quote I got was $650 AUS to get her desexed.

I'm so sorry @angie_nrs you had to get the dog put down but I am glad you are able to give a youngster a better start at life.

Anyone who beats a dog needs to be beaten themselves.
Same for shock collars.
We have had rescue dogs for over 40 years now, as many as 8 at one time, and some had been pretty traumatized by people.
We only had one that was so dangerous he was euthanized.
I would suggest a good trainer to at least assess him.

We did the best we could, but apparently it wasn't meant to be. I know the Humane Society manager and spoke with her about the issues we had. Sadly, we both came to the conclusion that the best thing would be to humanely put him down. Neither of us wanted that, but it was inevitable for the safety of all. I don't know where his demons came from, but we couldn't risk him biting anyone else unprovoked. I'm still angry that the person we got him from wasn't truthful about him, but I guess we shouldn't have trusted a stranger. Our bad.

i am sad for you, but you did probably the best thing for the animal.
Years ago we rescued a 6 month old male horse from the slaughter truck.
We paid what his weight would have brought, plus we helped with the shuttle crew of horsewomen who got him from South Carolina to Florida.
We had him gelded and welcomed him to the homestead.
He had behavioral issues almost from the beginning. Biting, trying to run you over in the paddock, kicking, etc.
My wife didn't want to give up, and tried professional training, everything. Starting at about 5 years of age we were advised by our large animal vet, our farrier, and others, that some horses just had bad genes, and he should be euthanized.
But still, the wife kept trying. He head butted me one time and knocked me to the ground. He cow-kicked the wife and took a huge hunk out of her calf. He finally kicked her and broke her wrist.
We could not adopt him out, he might hurt someone, or someone might hurt him. We had the vet put him down, and he's buried out back next to one of ours that died of old age.

Not gonna criticize angie but having had to put down our rescued dog and having been down this road I can tell you that no matter where their "demons" come from they will adapt. Our dog had a tough beginning. He was more faithful than any human I have met on this planet and had it not been for his health deterioration he would be here now. Much like our other adopted pets; human "safety" can be addressed. He had a "mean streak" you didn't like. At least according to the thread title. Ok. Same type of post as above. Rice Paddy had an issue with a horse. Ok. They behave badly and they get "euthanized" ?

IF people cannot handle the issues that are inherent with these cases they have no business "adopting" them.

Yep, I have taken care of hundreds of humans with disabilities of various kinds. Some dangerous and some not. At no point in that have I ever considered euthanizing them. The same with the many animals we have adopted over the years. I will back out of this thread now. No intention to criticize anyone but I will say if those that cannot handle the inherent issues that come with these situations should not be adopting anything with potential problems.

We are at the point where kids misbehave they will need to be euthanized for the "safety" of humanity. Somewhat off topic but actually not. My opinion and thoughts on the matter and I understand that is not the general consensus.

Guardian,
I owned one dog that I put down. He started out as a fine animal until he was about 4 years old. He gradually got more aggressive and started attacking other dogs while on walks. I have some experience and tried to work with him. Had a professional trainer assess him when I didn't get anywhere. He told me to come and get the dog because he was dangerous. When I picked up the dog he attacked me. My reflexes dominated and I killed him with a kick to his throat. My friend performed an x-ray and an autopsy. He had a brain tumor the size of an egg.

Sometimes the demon in an animal comes from a place you can't fix.

Guardian,
I owned one dog that I put down. He started out as a fine animal until he was about 4 years old. He gradually got more aggressive and started attacking other dogs while on walks. I have some experience and tried to work with him. Had a professional trainer assess him when I didn't get anywhere. He told me to come and get the dog because he was dangerous. When I picked up the dog he attacked me. My reflexes dominated and I killed him with a kick to his throat. My friend performed an x-ray and an autopsy. He had a brain tumor the size of an egg.

Sometimes the demon in an animal comes from a place you can't fix.

@SheepDog

I fully understand this position. To a point. As in humans, animals can begin to behave poorly. In essence, a "professional trainer", likely having zero medical experience, determined this dog was a threat. Okay, maybe so. Why?

Your kids start being aggressive and the "professional" (teacher as an example) determines they are incorrigible and dangerous. Do we execute them to be safe then? An example; our dog was acting differently and eventually began refusing food. He would eat something once no matter what. A treat, chicken, canned food, etc. We had him xray-ed to see what was up. The local vet could not see much due to fluid buildup and we determined we would take him to a pet hospital. A few thousand dollars later we were given the details. Spleen almost non existent. Nodules on the liver. A heart murmur he never had before. He would likely not survive surgery and if he did his quality of life was likely low.

We chose to bring him home and you already know the rest of the story.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone but for me this is not a path I would travel. As I said previously, IF those adopting animals are not prepared to accept or mitigate the outcome no matter how messy maybe they should not adopt them to begin with. It is clear my response is unpopular and unwelcome. I am good with that. I never said anyone should follow my beliefs or otherwise and especially now after recent events I will stand by my statements.

@SheepDog

I fully understand this position. To a point. As in humans, animals can begin to behave poorly. In essence, a "professional trainer", likely having zero medical experience, determined this dog was a threat. Okay, maybe so. Why?

Your kids start being aggressive and the "professional" (teacher as an example) determines they are incorrigible and dangerous. Do we execute them to be safe then? An example; our dog was acting differently and eventually began refusing food. He would eat something once no matter what. A treat, chicken, canned food, etc. We had him xray-ed to see what was up. The local vet could not see much due to fluid buildup and we determined we would take him to a pet hospital. A few thousand dollars later we were given the details. Spleen almost non existent. Nodules on the liver. A heart murmur he never had before. He would likely not survive surgery and if he did his quality of life was likely low.

We chose to bring him home and you already know the rest of the story.

I'm not passing judgement on anyone but for me this is not a path I would travel. As I said previously, IF those adopting animals are not prepared to accept or mitigate the outcome no matter how messy maybe they should not adopt them to begin with. It is clear my response is unpopular and unwelcome. I am good with that. I never said anyone should follow my beliefs or otherwise and especially now after recent events I will stand by my statements.

I was "thrown away" and declared unsalvagable by the State run oncology stream who gave up on me.
The ObyGyn regsitra at the large regional hospital had to be begged for an hour and a half that my life was worth saving as I was laying in a resus cubical fighting with every fiber of my being for my life.

I know what it's like to be thrown away and have people give up on me.
I don't know if dogs have it better or worse than humans in that way.
Humans hear it and understand it.
Dogs understand the emotions if not the exact words and their meanings.

I was "thrown away" and declared unsalvagable by the State run oncology stream who gave up on me.
The ObyGyn regsitra at the large regional hospital had to be begged for an hour and a half that my life was worth saving as I was laying in a resus cubical fighting with every fiber of my being for my life.

I know what it's like to be thrown away and have people give up on me.
I don't know if dogs have it better or worse than humans in that way.
Humans hear it and understand it.
Dogs understand the emotions if not the exact words and their meanings.

I guess thats my point Tank-Girl. I am not and will not give up on any friend whether it be two legged or four. Animals and especially dogs understand. When mine was given his first injection to euthanize him, I understood what he might feel. It would hurt his muscles for a bit but then he would not feel any more pain. When this injection was given I held him on both sides of his face and told him to keep looking into my eyes. I looked at him with his face in my hand and when the medication began to take effect I lowered him to the floor still looking into his eyes. When the second shot was given I laid with him on the floor until he expired. He knew we were there. He understood that we would be with him until the end. We were. I miss him every day. I have no human friends as far as I know. He was there through everything and now he is gone. I guess that is why I am as passionate about this as I am.

My wonderful new boy Bear is an abuse case. Big hard-headed German Shepherd pup (will be six months old around August 1st)! Tonight is one of his crazy, can't concentrate, wild times. Most of the time he is amazing!! Almost like a switched is flipped. I know there are very few people who could handle him, so I'll give him all I can. I can give him great training and a safe home!! Hoping after he is neutered next week he will lose his "male" moments, he has no physical ones yet, just mental!! So I guess I will take my handfuls of hell with all his good!! I'm glad I'm a stubborn German too!!

IF people cannot handle the issues that are inherent with these cases they have no business "adopting" them.
IF they were accurately and truthfully told what they are adopting. Some people aren't. And they are surprised and bewildered when they find out they accidentally adopted a monster.

And if it comes down to a human's life (or severe injury) vs. a dog's life, I personally will side with the human. Even though there are many dogs that I like better than some humans. Part of owning a pet is being responsible. To the pet, yes, but also to other humans who might come in contact with the pet.

Last edited:
Not gonna criticize angie but having had to put down our rescued dog and having been down this road I can tell you that no matter where their "demons" come from they will adapt.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. Not all animals will 'adapt' and become 'good' dogs. Humans have other humans put down for similar reasons, called capital punnishment. Unfortunately and sadly not all animals (including humans) are redeemable.

We had a red line (sparing you all the details) that we would not allow him to cross. He did. I put a lot of time, patience, effort, and affection into him but it wasn't enough. I bonded with this dog so making the decision to put him down humanely wasn't an easy choice and it wasn't made hastily. If you re-read this thread, it should be clear that I tried to give this dog a chance. We got him under false pretenses, likely b/c the previous owner didn't have the integrity to handle the situation like it should have been. Our bad, and shame on us for putting a shred of trust into a stranger. We don't have a lot of resources in our rural area like many others might have, but our Huname Society director has decades of experience in the field. Her input had a big impact on our final decision. I wish the whole thing wouldn't have happened at all, but I do not regret trying to give this dog an honest chance b/c the situation could have turned out much worse for him or someone else.

With all of that said, I hope people don't shy away from trying to adopt a dog and give them a second chance. We have adopted in the past and had wonderful and loving results. In fact, one of our most beloved dogs was a pound dog and brought tremendous joy to our lives. To put blanket statements on all dogs (regardless if they are adopted or not) doesn't work. They are as individual as we all are and should be treated as such.

To quote Guardian," I'm Over It!" I hope the mods lock this thread like they did for Guardian. At this point, I fail to see how any good can come from it. It's done.

Latest posts

Back