My new & improved definition of "Prepping".

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Prepping is simply for "BRIDGING" the first stage of survival. After that is "Instant" Death or a horrific prolonged period of Survival, which will ultimately culminate in failure to survive.

Prepping is simply for "BRIDGING" the first stage of survival. After that is "Instant" Death or a horrific prolonged period of Survival, which will ultimately culminate in failure to survive.
Wow, how uplifting! :thumbs:

I don't think I will prep like you. :oops:
Aw c'mon man, you gotta play along :);).
All of us preppers are stupid, and we are just stretching out the suffering before our 'certain death' occurs.gaah

Last edited:
water,food,shelter and security.

this c-19 and lack of access to goods has changed a bunch of peoples minds in my area and contacts.all had some stuff because of rural lifestyle but all are changing it up. more stocked goods and WAY more goods being produced from chickens to cattle,sheep and much more.

I have to greatly thank @Hardcalibres for making clear about the "Transition" from prepping to what comes after the preparations are "ALL" gone.

I have to greatly thank @Hardcalibres for making clear about the "Transition" from prepping to what comes after the preparations are "ALL" gone.
be a producer of goods or a hunter/gather type in a spot with plenty of things to harvest.

filling our pantry/cellars/jars/bins/etc. will take far more work than most realize. people just think they know what its like to can a 'bunch'. you not canned till you count by the 100's per season...lol...its work i tell ya.

having systems in place to take advantage of natural cycles reduces work load to AND lessens the need for outside supplies or from modern industrial society.

just as example stored calories in form of winter squash. bins full on cellar shelf without cutting,chopping,dicing and canning etc. results in a win win.the one type i grew and reported on lasted a year in storage.

be a producer of goods or a hunter/gather type in a spot with plenty of things to harvest.

filling our pantry/cellars/jars/bins/etc. will take far more work than most realize. people just think they know what its like to can a 'bunch'. you not canned till you count by the 100's per season...lol...its work i tell ya.

having systems in place to take advantage of natural cycles reduces work load to AND lessens the need for outside supplies or from modern industrial society.

just as example stored calories in form of winter squash. bins full on cellar shelf without cutting,chopping,dicing and canning etc. results in a win win.the one type i grew and reported on lasted a year in storage.
I believe historically, squash were a significant part of the winter diet for the very reason you mention.

I pretty much agree. Prepare to thrive not survive.

Budget golds me back but my goal is to prepare to operate a foundry and machine shops to trade steam engines to rebuild from the ashes of disaster.

And maybe start an engineering school if it gets that far.

Ben

True statement, Sourdough. If you prep for a year, that's all you've got. Unless you know how to produce what you need.
.......and to produce all you need, that means about one million calories for each person in your group, every year..........good years........bad years.........every year.

Doing all that while almost everyone around you is starving and desperate, is a tall mountain to climb, and very dependent upon where you try to do that and how well prepared you are to defend yourselves.......so being able to defend what you produce is every bit as important as being able to produce what you need.

In most places people live now, that is probably unachievable.

As the OP is alluding to, I believe that very severe crises should be considered in the context of stages. Each stage has different challenges and different skills, resources, capabilities and supplies you will need to make it through to the next stage alive.

To survive long term, you need to make it through all the stages.

To survive long term, you need to think about survivalism in a multidimensional way - at the very least to understand and be ready for all the stages.

Many of even the most dedicated survivalists, are stuck in a single dimensional view of survivalism.

and very dependent upon where you try to do that and how well prepared you are to defend yourselves.......so being able to defend what you produce is every bit as important as being able to produce what you need.
And yet the push'back if anyone mentions how much easier and safer to be far from other humans, instantly triggers full outrage in near 99.6% of preppers. I have never seen anything that triggers preppers like that subject.

And yet the push'back if anyone mentions how much easier and safer to be far from other humans, instantly triggers full outrage in near 99.6% of preppers. I have never seen anything that triggers preppers like that subject.
Yep.

That and trying to convince people of the importance of mobility.

It is surprising how many people will post they would rather die on the little piece of land they own now, than survive somewhere else.

After all, if you are still alive, there is always the potential you can come back.

Most of the threats that might kill you if you stay, don't want your land long term anyway.

Again, it is about stages.

Please DELETE......Thank you.

Last edited:
Yep.

That and trying to convince people of the importance of mobility.

It is surprising how many people will post they would rather die on the little piece of land they own now, than survive somewhere else.

After all, if you are still alive, there is always the potential you can come back.

Most of the threats that might kill you if you stay, don't want your land long term anyway.

Again, it is about stages.
There will be HOARDES of illegals to take your land! Yeah, you have guns and ammo, but you are very outnumbered, and they have better guns and more ammo! I always say I am ready to live on the run! Yes, I will eat the dog!

There will be HOARDES of illegals to take your land! Yeah, you have guns and ammo, but you are very outnumbered, and they have better guns and more ammo! I always say I am ready to live on the run! Yes, I will eat the dog!
In a very severe crisis, there will be no rule of law - so the term "illegals" will be an irrelevant reference to history.

They may take your land, but they most likely won't know how to survive on it.

My version of mobility also involves taking most of the supplies and machinery with me.

In reality, most homesteaders are about as well prepared and equipped to defend their land/dwelling as they are to do emergency brain surgery on a relative with a brain tumor.

Prevailing in combat is no easy thing - especially if you have already committed to rely upon a solely defensive strategy - and your tactics are virtually inviting a siege.

BUT..you do realize everyone cant relocate right? why...if they did then it would be the opposite of what population density is now...and in certain cases thats not going to happen over a wide array of reasons. one being and not even sure of correct term to use,but lets call it land logistics. you can cram but so many people,houses etc. on rugged terrain. a narrow little valley only so wide cant physically hold but so many folks.

the reason these population centers can hold so many people is because they were in area of the best and most resources of water and fertile lands and ease of production and in most beginnings abundant wild game and natural resources.take for example many very old civilizations were located close by active volcano. know why? it was because of fertility of the surrounding lands.evidence shows even after eruptions and lives were lost they returned to rebuild to take advantage of such a huge resource...this is talking way back in times too.

waterways were interstate highways and still are to many areas.pure logistics prevent areas from being settled.

i mentioned the place on top of mtn where water flows.it was settled way back in day by a family. the water was the reason. on top of that mtn he built a little log home and there was a small section that was flattened. he farmed that for his families subsistence. its so narrow you stand in middle of it and see off the sides.in some spots its no wider than 20ft.it was a long and skinny little flat plateau on very tip top filled with plenty of rocks.the spring was the reason to be there. was he successful. i say yes..because theres people here in area with his last name who came from the children he raised there.

another place deep in a narrow hollow the cabin is on the little creek and its so narrow its about all you can do to turn a pick up around. i knew the old timer that was raised in the old cabin. he died over 20 years ago in his 90's and he was born and raised in that little cabin. point being the resources and land logistics only allowed for the one family to 'survive'.

blah..blah..blah from me....lol

BUT..you do realize everyone cant relocate right? why...if they did then it would be the opposite of what population density is now..........
BUT....you do realize that most people can relocate......but wont.......

So Normalcy Bias ensures that too many people relocating will never be a problem.

That is why mobility is still a key capability......partly because in reality it will remain rare.

BUT....you do realize that most people can relocate......but wont.......

So Normalcy Bias ensures that too many people relocating will never be a problem.

That is why mobility is still a key capability......partly because in reality it will remain rare.

well..maybe..maybe not...theres my original thing in my post..logistics...an area has only so many resources..what resources..homes,water,land suitable for activity.i do say we can live on very undesirable lands but when you do its going to be less because of basics of how much water,soil fertility etc.

like right now...people moving from one area to another often cant happen because of lack of infrastructure. i know of an area right now several want to live in and bought land. its over 2 years to get a home built. why? no one to build and its hundreds of miles from nearest next available builder...and they wont come that far. you can say well i build it myself...thats fine but theres even limited availability of building goods. you can only shove so much through a 1 inch pipe vs. a 4ft pipe.all supply chains are not equal.

an area can only do so much at a time. road systems and more. often people miss the fact than an area has been built up over decades if not 200 years.

we seen it when katrina happened and people relocated out of that area to several bigger cities and even those large cities couldnt handle housing and more needs of those people. dont forget all the services just basic most need. from lets say tractor parts to grocery to whatever. dump any number from a 100 to a few thousand and areas developed infrastructure and services will be taxed.

i think you get what i am saying....they all cant move at once...just a few can only be handled at a time.

take sourdoughs area...even if others wanted there they couldnt..why..limited available private lands.my area...not happening..land hardly ever becomes available for sale. why..people value land and its handed down mostly...population has not changed in over 25 years. it cant...not available to do so.plus lack of desired services by main stream folks...nothing here.

stockpiling enough food for a month, 6 months or a year if that is all a person has is merely delaying their inevitable demise.
prepping is more that just storing food but many people seem to think its all about hoarding.
prepping happens BEFORE an event happens not after.

Last edited:
And back to my point, you can have years of food and supplies hoarded but that is only good if you can live where you are at!! If the hoarder preppers lose their homestead, can they survive ??? The government wants federal property taxes, and want you to own nothing because you will be happier! They  want to take what you and your family has worked hard for! Prepping is not hoarding and thinking you will be able to just hunker down and wait it out, that most likely won't be an option!!

And back to my point, you can have years of food and supplies hoarded but that is only good if you can live where you are at!! If the hoarder preppers lose their homestead, can they survive ??? The government wants federal property taxes, and want you to own nothing because you will be happier! They  want to take what you and your family has worked hard for! Prepping is not hoarding and thinking you will be able to just hunker down and wait it out, that most likely won't be an option!!
donkey ! with specialty built set of panniers for water,tent and very select gear for hunting and gathering.

They don't require much water, can find water, and can carry quite a bit!! Mine would just look at me like, "you carry this stuff, I'm not", lol!!
hey there elk what ya got that donkey for...its my water bottle holder !....lol

i have packed in mtns with a great pyrenese in my past long ago.he could and would carry a decent load all day.

I have come to realize the fact the vast majority humans have zero desire to live in places like where I live is personally advantageous. I like my abundant space and want to keep it this way. Of course, an advantageous location alone isn’t by itself sufficient for survival, but it certainly helps mitigates know risk.

Latest posts

Back