My new mail box, termites ate the last one

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
What does your mail box look like?
Does it depict your personality?
Does it look like your house?
Is it different or a ho hum ?
My neighbors think I am a nut !!
They are correct !!!
A098441B-F96D-4DA3-A92C-2F56EA7517FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great @Frodo
Mine is tan color, industrial hard plastic, one piece from the ground up, door on both ends, faded “flag,” and I don’t own it so can’t do anything about it.
Have never had any problems with vandalism.
You do not own it?
Is it on your property?

My mailbox looks like it survived the apocalypse.
No door, rusty, a bullet hole, big dent in the top, flag held on by a bolt.
Yep. fits me fine!

Our mailbox is a cheap metal one on a metal pole. Leans to the side and spins around every time we hit it with the car. The door doesn't stay closed. The red flag went missing a few decades ago. As did the stick on address numbers. I think the only number left is "7", which is a couple orders of magnitude less than our actual address.

My mailbox is the biggest one approved by the USPS. Black, metal, and very functional. At 14x12x18" it'll fit a decent sized box(es) and has saved me a ton of trips to the post office sending packages for my side gig. It's feeling pretty boring now, though :)
This is what I have. They say USPS on them, so I printed out a note that says "For all deliveries, letters and parcels by all carriers: USPS, UPS, Amazon, and anyone else. I have it set up vertically so that the mail falls to the bottom. It took some of the delivery people a while to tune in to it, but we are mostly there now.

What does your mail box look like?
Does it depict your personality?
Does it look like your house?
Is it different or a ho hum ?
My neighbors think I am a nut !!
They are correct !!!
View attachment 107861
I have a double gate into my back yard. When both parts are open, we can drive in. Last year it started leaning. Neighbor and his college aged son repaired it. He told me that it is not good to bury the posts, which causes them to rot faster. They poured a cement foot with brackets and attached to gate to the top.

"For all deliveries, letters and parcels by all carriers: USPS, UPS, Amazon, and anyone else.

I seem to remember reading, or hearing, that it is illegal for anyone to put a delivery in your mailbox except for the Post Office.

Sounds like urban legend or an old wive's tale to me, but I have indeed heard this before. Somewhere.

I seem to remember reading, or hearing, that it is illegal for anyone to put a delivery in your mailbox except for the Post Office.

Sounds like urban legend or an old wive's tale to me, but I have indeed heard this before. Somewhere.
That is correct, or every mailbox would be stuffed with 'non-postal spam', every day.

Yes, I have heard this as well. I think I asked the P.O. if I could label it as I did, saying anyone can use it. They told me to put this kind of sign on it. If I didn't have that sign, it couldn't happen. I wonder if when I first got the mailbox and put the sign up, if the delivery people weren't using it because they knew they couldn't put anything in a box labeled USPS? It has been quite a while since something was delivered, but not in the mailbox.

Fun story about mailboxes.
Back when I owned a real welding shop, I had a friend who lived out in the middle of nowhere, once every few weeks, his mailbox got smashed and he wanted me to build him a new one that was ball bat-proof. I hammered out the old one as best I could and made a liner for it out of an 8" drill pipe and tacked it back together. a few weeks passed and I was about to move here when he pulled up in my yard with some beer and weed laughing about how he was laying there asleep when he heard a car coming slow and heard "yee haw!" a metallic thump and a scream that would wake the dead and the car speeding away, next day he found a broken ball bat in the road and that somehow his neighbor's kid managed to break both his arms. funny coincidence huh?

That matches the story of a guy I met who had trouble with kids smashing his mailbox with a bat... he went ahead and built a bulletproof mailbox out of steel pipe and some sort of steel box, all bolted and welded together, the pipe sunk into a big ol' cement footing. Never had any more trouble after that, though the painted box picked up some "scars" from baseball bat attempts later, lol... kids probably broke their wrists on that steel box. 😒

Yes, I have heard this as well. I think I asked the P.O. if I could label it as I did, saying anyone can use it. They told me to put this kind of sign on it. If I didn't have that sign, it couldn't happen. I wonder if when I first got the mailbox and put the sign up, if the delivery people weren't using it because they knew they couldn't put anything in a box labeled USPS? It has been quite a while since something was delivered, but not in the mailbox.
You are right. But it is up to the recipient or postal worker to file a complaint, which either can do.
https://wpdh.com/is-it-a-federal-crime-to-put-a-letter-in-someone-elses-mailbox/
$5K-$10K fine (and up to 5-years in the federal pen, I think).
People think I'm nuts when we get a letter for a neighbor and they say: "just stick it in their mailbox :thumbs:"... When I say: "I can't do that, have to hand it to them in person".
Pretty sure that if you put a sign on yours that says: "stick anything in here you want" and your postal worker is ok with it, he knows that neither of you will complain and it will work.

Last edited:
That matches the story of a guy I met who had trouble with kids smashing his mailbox with a bat... he went ahead and built a bulletproof mailbox out of steel pipe and some sort of steel box, all bolted and welded together, the pipe sunk into a big ol' cement footing. Never had any more trouble after that, though the painted box picked up some "scars" from baseball bat attempts later, lol... kids probably broke their wrists on that steel box. 😒
They must have been full-blown Biden babies to whack it knowing what it was. the gene pool needs chlorine!

Two winters ago county took out my mailbox 20 year old post when plowing snow. Post was rotted at ground level.

Cemented in a new post further off the road. Reused the 20 year old plastic sun bleached mailbox. It lasted until this winter when the county plowed heavy wet snow shattered the box.

Below is the new mail box. Mail box can swivel up to 360 degrees when struck with plowed snow. 4x4 post with reflector that is under mailbox is the "new" post I cemented in last winter.

IMG_1910 2.jpg

Two winters ago county took out my mailbox 20 year old post when plowing snow. Post was rotted at ground level.

Cemented in a new post further off the road. Reused the 20 year old plastic sun bleached mailbox. It lasted until this winter when the county plowed heavy wet snow shattered the box.

Below is the new mail box. Mail box can swivel up to 360 degrees when struck with plowed snow. 4x4 post with reflector that is under mailbox is the "new" post I cemented in last winter.

View attachment 108896
Does someone sell a mailbox like that or did you have it made for you? It is so heavy duty, and the idea that it can rotate 360 degree could save many country road mailboxes.

Does someone sell a mailbox like that or did you have it made for you? It is so heavy duty, and the idea that it can rotate 360 degree could save many country road mailboxes.
The post, horizontal pipe with swivel I bought on line. The mailbox I bought separately from a second internet search.

View attachment 108896
Incase my latest fix doesn't work...

I will look to your example for inspiration.

Ben

Attachments

• 20230508_152736_HDR.jpg
    20230508_152736_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
I wonder about having a large stone placed a few feet in front of the mailbox. It would certainly be hit before the mailbox, and may prevent the mailbox being hit.

I wonder about having a large stone placed a few feet in front of the mailbox. It would certainly be hit before the mailbox, and may prevent the mailbox being hit.
Measure from the ground up to the center of your radiator

Concrete in 2” threaded pipe with the threads at the measurement you made

Thread a elbow on the pipe , pointed away from your boxp

Take a 2” x 12” threaded nipple
Cut one end so it has a long point

Thread it into the elbow

When a yahoo hits that pipe it will tear the hell out of his radiator, discourage future shaninagans

Latest posts

Back