My new Weber grill

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So yesterday my new grill was delivered and set up while I was at work. Wife decided to keep it a secret that they called to arrange a delivery time, so as to surprise me when I got home. What she forgot was the motion sensing video cameras we have, which promptly alerted to me to the delivery. I got home all excited and went right to the patio to check it out. It took me about .025 second to see the dent and 2 scratches on the stainless steel lid. 🤨 I called and the customer service rep was clearly not going to be helpful, so I asked for the manager. The manager on the other hand was set on making things right. He sent someone out with a replacement lid in 95% better condition (although not perfect) and a free grill cover. So my happiness was delayed by about an hour, but in the end this is pretty awesome beast of a grill. Going to burn it in, season it, and put it to use this weekend.

2020-05-12_1648.png

2020-05-12_1649.jpg

My next door neighbor melted a sizable potion of his siding having his grill to close to the house. He was very lucky my wife saw what was happening and called. It could have been quite a tragedy.

Nice looking grill I hope you enjoy it.

Ugh, propane....

If it makes you feel any better, I do have a smoker box for it that I used regularly with my old grill.

Curious , have you ever put lava rock in the bottom to catch and burn the drippings ? We do that with our smaller gas grills ...adds flavor and preserves the grill bottom.

When my old gas grill started to lose some of it's luster, I put a grate from a busted grill on top of the burner guards and set ceramic grill tiles on top of it. Probably the same basic principle as lava rock. Worked well too.

I have 3 gas grills, none of them are new & my brother only used oak wood, no pine.
He does use chips for flavor, like hickory or peacan, never gas.
I saw a home made pizza oven with a rotisserie for home made chicken & veggies.

Nice looking grill! Wish you hours of enjoyment on your deck! :thumbs:

it's not pellet. (Charcoal purist here)

Me too! don't want petroleum near my food.. used to make my own charcoal, need to make another big batch this year. Ran out a couple years ago (except 10lbs in emergency stores). My charcoal is superior in every way over the lump charcoal I've been buying.

Farm Charcoal (17) ex sm.jpg

Nice looking grill! Wish you hours of enjoyment on your deck! :thumbs:

Me too! don't want petroleum near my food.. used to make my own charcoal, need to make another big batch this year. Ran out a couple years ago (except 10lbs in emergency stores). My charcoal is superior in every way over the lump charcoal I've been buying.

View attachment 43189

Peanut is there a thread that shows us how to make it?

I have used the behemoth about 7-8 times now. Still getting to know it's idiosyncrasies but it definitely holds its temp and uses far less gas to do so than my old one. The double insulated lid probably has something to do with that. I still do not have a grill brush (shipping delays) so I have been using olive oil and a rag to clean it. Which might be my new permanent plan as it is seasoning the heck out of this thing and making the grates non-stick in the process.

I just purchased a wood pellet smokey tray for it so no more foil pouches of wood chips to impart smoke flavor. I also picked up 40# of pecan, apple, and hickory pellets. This weekend I will be using indirect cooking to make a couple meat loafs on the grill as well as a beef chuck roast turned into "poor man's burnt ends".

As homesteaders, we need to know how to make charoal & how to use it, even if we use other styles of cooking.
I may be going to far with the in ground stove, but any 8th grade student could make this one.

SIl keeps giving us his grills fo pas 16 years so we never have to buy one,but not using grill much last few years.
Meerkat,
Don't you love it when kids upgrade their belongings.
Hence why I am now the proud owner of a 45" all the bells and whistles RCA TV.
Also got new dvd player with remote out of the deal too.
My old tv now resides in Grand daughter's bedroom at her dad's house along with my dvd player( the kind you get up walk over over push the button to turn on...lol...lol) for the PAW Patrol, Baby Shark movies. It was 19", but it was what I could afford at the time and served me well.

Last edited:
Meerkat,
Don't you love it when kids upgrade their belongings>
Hence why I am now the proud owner of a 45" all the bells and whistles RCA TV.
Also got new dvd player with remote out of the deal too.
My old tv now resides in Grand daughter's bedroom at her dad's house along with my dvd player( the kind you get go over push the button to turn on...lol...lol) for the PAW Patrol, Baby Shark movies. It was 19", but it was what I could afford at the time and served me well.

LOL,MoBook I sure do,we get lawnmowers,grills now and then when this happens if we make the trip or they happen to be coming here.:thumbs:

I am looking to buy a larger grill/smoker first of the year.
Tell me what you think about this one.$899.00

Product Overview​

• Large 1102 sq. in. cooking surface can accommodate a whole hog with space to spare
  • 2 thermometers and adjustable chimney flaps ensure perfect smoking temperature
  • 14 gauge stainless steel charcoal pan and slide-out ash tray
  • Adjustable height cooking grate that's removable makes cleaning a breeze
  • Lid brackets keep the lid from tipping back the whole way
1695815385554.png

Nice looking grill
Are you a handy type person with tools and posses common sense?

Why not spend the money on materials and make one that is better

You could build a block smoker and cover with brick or stucco that would be nicer for less money

That grill IS a very nice looking grill

Nice looking grill
Are you a handy type person with tools and posses common sense?

Why not spend the money on materials and make one that is better

You could build a block smoker and cover with brick or stucco that would be nicer for less money

That grill IS a very nice looking grill
Cost, the metal is about $450.00 & I have a shear, but no 96" break.
So another $200.00 for tools, even there is labor.
And to make it stronger I would need a tig welder, which cost more than the grill itself. I have not used a hammer & block to form metal
in many years.
Block smoker may be better, but it is not mobile, that is the main reason to get a metal one.
Someone built a block smoker & posted on this site, for moose meat. Think it was @Sourdough.

Is that 1100 square feet or inches!? From the ISS they can't tell the difference.
Thatun show up on satellite data and the government will think Putin done snuck one of his mobile ICBM launchers over here.
Large 1102 sq. in.

If you plan on cooking a lot of food at one time then it would be good.
However if you normally cook a smaller amount like 2 burgers it would be to big.
I had a large pellet grill and it was just too big for my needs.
Cost, the metal is about $450.00 & I have a shear, but no 96" break.
So another $200.00 for tools, even there is labor.
And to make it stronger I would need a tig welder, which cost more than the grill itself. I have not used a hammer & block to form metal
in many years.
Block smoker may be better, but it is not mobile, that is the main reason to get a metal one.
Someone built a block smoker & posted on this site, for moose meat. Think it was @Sourdough.
Guess I am blessed with iron worker buddies. My grill top cost me a 12 pack of Coronnas

My BIL worked at Costco and he said every year after Summer the back of the store would be full of used BBQ grills people returned for a full refund.
Some of them did it every year so they had a new BBQ for the Summer.
They could not resell them so they removed the propane tank if it had one and the rest went to the crusher.
I think that is not much different then theft but it is or was Costco's policy. Not sure you could still do that.

Latest posts

Back