My Next Project

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greeneyes317

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I decided on what I'm going to be starting while I'm waiting on the last pattern for the Block Of The Week. If anyone know the name of the pattern, please speak up. Members of the Let's Make Quilts on FB are wanting a pattern name. The mitered seams are making my head hurt, so this is how I decided to make them. I think what I might do, is just sew all the strips to the background fabric on the angle. Then just use my 4.5" square to center and cut the length I need. It's gonna be really time consuming, but the math with the mitered seam is not working with my brain today. Maybe by tomorrow or whenever I start it my think tank will be working. Misha thinks this will create a lot of waste, but I have 48 strips, and don't mitered seams create a bit of waste. The pick with Skeezicks helping is the best one on color. I am very open to suggestions on making this easier, lol. It's really cheap fabric, I've had it for years, but it'll be pretty, I think.
IMG_20180324_143505.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180324_141108.jpg
    IMG_20180324_141108.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180324_141254.jpg
    IMG_20180324_141254.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20180324_144729.jpg
    IMG_20180324_144729.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
Skeezicks is really pestering me to go to bed! He's never this lovey with me! I did manage to get a pic of the block he kept flopping on, lol. Ya really need to pay attention to assembly on this. :facepalm: I think it's gonna be a PITA with the mitered seams. It's gonna be pretty, just wish it wasn't such cheap fabric with all the work it's gonna take.
IMG_20180329_045924.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180329_045951.jpg
    IMG_20180329_045951.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
I don't think I ever remember seeing that design. Very eye catching. When I first saw it I thought, oh that would make a pretty boarder and then I clicked on your link provided. OMGoodnese its like reading my mind! :). Very nice indeed.

I love the border too! The original pic I saw did not have the border, and when I went to the link I thought it was beautiful!!! I'm thinking the pattern might use bigger pieces then the jelly roll size I'm using. My blocks are 8.5" the website says it's a 12.5" block. I have 48 strips between the 2 jelly rolls and 3 yds of background, I'm hoping I'll be ok. I can get more background, but the jellyrolls I've had for 6???? years. I got them from Big Lots. I did find out last night I need work on my mitered seams...

Yup when I was sewing the strips to make the 4 squares, I did 2 right and 2 wrong. Good thing I bought a new seam ripper the other day! Had to use it on my peacock borders too. When I was mitering the 2 pieces together I had them going opposite ways.... Should have went to bed them, lol

What size do y'all think would be good for this? Blocks finish to 8". I don't think I'm gonna keep this one if I ever get it finished :D I have 48 strips, just need enough for the border. I think I should easily be able to do a nice throw or twin, maybe a ful?? I saw a pale spring green with little white butterflies I'm planning to use for border and backing.

Dani, I'm not much of a square quilt person. I know I'm not keeping it, but... Lol. I guess I'll maybe see what size I'm at with 8 of the jelly rolls strips cut, then triple that. I also need to figure out how many strips the various size borders are gonna take, I'm thinking it will be a lot. I think I'd like to shoot for a twin, but if I don't get it, oh well. I'm only just started my first of coffee, had a Dr. Appointment this morning, so all this thinking and math is gonna have to wait! :coffee:
I cut and marked all my pieces for the broken wagon wheel last night. I think I might throw that together quick after breakfast!

I was excited to work on this a little today. Over the last few weeks if I was in the kitchen I would mark a few sewing lines on a couple pieces. I had enough for 3 more blocks. I realized I marked all my diagonals the wrong way. Maybe later tonight. Heading to watch the new Avengers: Infinity Wars with my daughter in a few!!

I was excited to work on this a little today. Over the last few weeks if I was in the kitchen I would mark a few sewing lines on a couple pieces. I had enough for 3 more blocks. I realized I marked all my diagonals the wrong way. Maybe later tonight. Heading to watch the new Avengers: Infinity Wars with my daughter in a few!!

Have fun!

Those look so good. . . I'm hoping to get back to the project I have started for next grandbaby, but we just got 1100lbs of pork that went into the freezer except for some lard that I need to render and a couple hogs heads that need to be made into scrapple and hogs head cheese. That will have to be my next projects. . . To get all that made and processed. Yesterday I ended up cleaning house and making jelly so I could clear those berries out of the freezer. First part of this week I went to work and hunny was home. . . Let's just say the house so needed cleaned and it's just easier when he went back to work yesterday. . . At least now I feel like I can focus :).

I did get a second block done. Have done any sewing in a few days. Trying to clean/organize and running into problems. Lol I thought I already posted this. Maybe I'm over looking it. Sorry if it's a doubleView attachment 6021
Beautiful work, @Greeneyes317
I'm glad you have time to work on stuff. I should try to get back into it again.

Dani that's quite a load! You need to rest, lol.
Patchouli I go back to work May 11. Trying to get done what I can while I'm off. I pulled a muscle or something so my doctor put me back on taking it easy.... Sigh
Mo that is so special that you are doing that for the family

Patchouli I go back to work May 11. Trying to get done what I can while I'm off. I pulled a muscle or something so my doctor put me back on taking it easy.... Sigh
Thank you.
We (our unit) all talked about it during our last deployment together.
What we as a Unit could do to ease the pain for a child.
I had already made several "Daddy and Mommy" quilts from other fallen comrades.
So the suggestion was made to do pillows made out of uniform shirts,blouses.
Memory quilts have photos of parents holding baby for the first time.
Teaching somebody to ride bike with no training wheels, things like that.
In this case, I am using some of the other kids memories, because this child is old 7 years old.
Just as our unit has done with other children, when needed one of us will step in gladly to fill Daddy's or Mommy's shoes.

I'm not tired so I couldn't sleep, so I did some sewing. Still not real tired but need to be up in less then 5 hours I'm liking it. It's at about 32.5" and I still have some of the first 8 strips left that I cut. I don't think it will make twin size cause I'm gonna need so many blockes for the border. Hope I can get an oversized throw. Not sure when I can sew again, it's nice, I need to work outside.
IMG_20180501_020201.jpg

iS THIS thread a "My Next Project" for everyone to post what is their next sewing/knitting/embroidery project?
More than year ago I started a quilt for my youngest girl, I haven't worked on it in a while. I asked her to choose some different block patterns and fabrics and I got busy, measuring, cutting, and sewing. Then I realized that the finished squares weren't all the same size but they were supposed to be. Have to be a freaking mathematician to do this stuff.
So, I'm going to go back to using five or less of the designs she chose, the ones that sewed together the easiest for me, and hopefully have it done for her before she grows up and moves out. haha
If that fails, then I'll stick to the easiest pattern and be done with it. I tried making one for her one other time and it didn't work out either. It is amazing how exact the measuring, cutting and sewing have to be, unless you're doing a crazy quilt, but even that has to have precision of some kind.

@Greeneyes317 your time is almost up. Back to the daily grind.

Yes, everyone can post their next projects here! I'm so sorry about the mismatched blocks you have. Yes sewing can be tedious if you are first learning. I still remember my first horrible blocks I made for a swap. Not 1 measured the 12.5" it was supposed to! Good luck with you project, and feel free to share pics!

Yes, work the last 2 days has been an experience. I'm currently fighting a Charlie horse in the back of my though from being on a cement floor all day, oy...

Latest posts

Back