My Old Log Cabin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Egan

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Merry Christmas everybody, hope it was a good one. This is a log cabin I built when I was a teen. I started when I was 12 years old back in 1972 and finally finished it in 1976, when I was 16. We had Christmas dinner with family at the farm and after dinner we went over to the back side of the farm and I made a video of it. If I had put it up on a better foundation and had peeled the logs it would have been in a lot better shape, but hey, I was 12. Most of the logs are still solid despite my mistakes. If built correctly and taken care of, a log cabin will last hundreds of years. I am planning on building another one but much bigger, so I hope to document that too.
I hope you like it and thanks for watching, God bless and have a happy, prosperous new year.

I think it is very cool! We had an old set of encyclopedias when I was a kid, maybe from 1915, give or take. One of the things in that book was how to build simple houses and log cabins. I was very fascinated and wanted to do that. I would still like to build a log cabin, but I wouldn't do it alone now. There is a YouTube series put together by a guy who lives in Canada who has built a couple log cabins. i have watched almost all of his videos about the build.

Merry Christmas everybody, hope it was a good one. This is a log cabin I built when I was a teen. I started when I was 12 years old back in 1972 and finally finished it in 1976, when I was 16. We had Christmas dinner with family at the farm and after dinner we went over to the back side of the farm and I made a video of it. If I had put it up on a better foundation and had peeled the logs it would have been in a lot better shape, but hey, I was 12. Most of the logs are still solid despite my mistakes. If built correctly and taken care of, a log cabin will last hundreds of years. I am planning on building another one but much bigger, so I hope to document that too.
I hope you like it and thanks for watching, God bless and have a happy, prosperous new year.

What agreat job for such a young boy.:great:.

Did you cut down the trees for the logs? also it did hold up good consiering you didn't peel the logs.:thumbs:.

We built thing's like tree huts, outside dance floors tunels but never a house.

I think it is very cool! We had an old set of encyclopedias when I was a kid, maybe from 1915, give or take. One of the things in that book was how to build simple houses and log cabins. I was very fascinated and wanted to do that. I would still like to build a log cabin, but I wouldn't do it alone now. There is a YouTube series put together by a guy who lives in Canada who has built a couple log cabins. i have watched almost all of his videos about the build.
Hey Weedygarden Thanks, glad you liked it. Would that channel be My Self Reliance, Shawn James ? I love his channel, or was it the Outsider, he and hid Dad are building a cabin and I like that channel too. One guy I really like is The Bearded Carpenter from Arkansas another good youtube channel and he does the hewed dove tail type of cabin. he is getting his materials together and does a good job explaining things as he goes so that would be a good one to watch too. he is not too far from my place in the Missouri Ozarks so I hope some day to go and make a video of him building too.
I hope you had a great Christmas, thanks for watching and God bless.

That's just awesome! How many kids today would have the stick to it-ness to complete such a project. If interested in log cabins, might also check out Noah Bradley's "Handmade Houses." A great resource.
Hey LadyLocust, Thank you for your kind words. I grew up on a farm so I know how to stick to it. I was a get fan of the Daniel Boone tv series with Fess Parker so that really helped to drive me. I made my own buckskins (the Indian way, braintan) and shot black powder rifles so of course I needed a log cabin. Thanks for the reference to Noah Bradley I think I have heard of that before but I'll check it out.
Hope you had a good Christmas, thanks for watching and God bless.

What agreat job for such a young boy.:great:.

Did you cut down the trees for the logs? also it did hold up good consiering you didn't peel the logs.:thumbs:.

We built thing's like tree huts, outside dance floors tunels but never a house.
Hey Meerkat, thanks for the compliment. the first tree I found laying in the creek and it was a great looking log, at least to a 12 year old so I think I spent the first day carrying it a quarter of a mile, then it was cutting trees with an axe until about 14, I snuck out with my Dads chainsaw and he caught me. he only said your doing a pretty good job, just be careful with that damned thing. But off and on I worked on it till I got it pretty much done, never did completely finish it. Chinking upstairs windows and such.
I hope you had a good Christmas, Thanks for watching and God bless.

Hey Meerkat, thanks for the compliment. the first tree I found laying in the creek and it was a great looking log, at least to a 12 year old so I think I spent the first day carrying it a quarter of a mile, then it was cutting trees with an axe until about 14, I snuck out with my Dads chainsaw and he caught me. he only said your doing a pretty good job, just be careful with that damned thing. But off and on I worked on it till I got it pretty much done, never did completely finish it. Chinking upstairs windows and such.
I hope you had a good Christmas, Thanks for watching and God bless.

Your welcome William. You too.

Hey Weedygarden Thanks, glad you liked it. Would that channel be My Self Reliance, Shawn James ? I love his channel, or was it the Outsider, he and hid Dad are building a cabin and I like that channel too. One guy I really like is The Bearded Carpenter from Arkansas another good youtube channel and he does the hewed dove tail type of cabin. he is getting his materials together and does a good job explaining things as he goes so that would be a good one to watch too. he is not too far from my place in the Missouri Ozarks so I hope some day to go and make a video of him building too.
I hope you had a great Christmas, thanks for watching and God bless.
Yes, Shawn James, but I have watched the Outsider as well. Thank you. Merry Christmas to you as well.

I used to know a Bill Egan, or at least I recognize the name. I can't figure out where from...
Anyway, Hi William!

I used to know a Bill Egan, or at least I recognize the name. I can't figure out where from...
Anyway, Hi William!
Hi to you too. Well I haven't strayed too far from Missouri except when I joined the Marines from 79 to 83 but there are a lot of William or Bill Egans. Search your name on facebook sometime and see how many of you there are. I even had a Lori Egan try to friend me on facebook and when I looked at her profile everyone she friended had the last name of Egan. I thought it might be best to not be collected because of my last name, lol.
Thanks and god bless.

When I lived in Seattle there was two others with my name - including my middle initial. One of then banked at the same bank and it cause a bit of trouble for me when they deducted my account for his credit card.
I did finally get it straightened out and then I changed banks.

When I lived in Seattle there was two others with my name - including my middle initial. One of then banked at the same bank and it cause a bit of trouble for me when they deducted my account for his credit card.
I did finally get it straightened out and then I changed banks.
I've never met anybody with my name. I'm like Tigger. I knew a gal named Jane who complimented me on my name. I told her I liked Jane, nobody would ask how to spell it or call you something that isn't your name but starts with the right letter because that's all they heard. I suppose the perk is they don't deduct $ from my account for someone else :D

I've never met anybody with my name. I'm like Tigger. I knew a gal named Jane who complimented me on my name. I told her I liked Jane, nobody would ask how to spell it or call you something that isn't your name but starts with the right letter because that's all they heard. I suppose the perk is they don't deduct $ from my account for someone else :D

:):thumbs: @William Egan where you at?

This video is more than 3 hours long of the cabin build by The Outsiders. I have seen most of this when they post them in periodic videos. The cabin is mostly finished now and they have a wood burning stove in it. Their goal was to have it finished by Christmas and I believe they plan to stay there then.

This video is more than 3 hours long of the cabin build by The Outsiders. I have seen most of this when they post them in periodic videos. The cabin is mostly finished now and they have a wood burning stove in it. Their goal was to have it finished by Christmas and I believe they plan to stay there then.

I think I saw the first one. Funny you posted that. I was thinking about a log cabin this week. Not as a real residence, but a sorta work shop. Great timing :)

I think I saw the first one. Funny you posted that. I was thinking about a log cabin this week. Not as a real residence, but a sorta work shop. Great timing :)
I always wanted to build a log cabin. I'm the kind of person who wants to do things I am not always capable of! This is a beautiful build, imho, and I love that the father and son built it together. I love that they used a saw mill to make the boards for so much of this cabin. Love the metal roof. Love the dormers. I am looking forward to how this cabin gets finished on the inside.

Latest posts

Back