My "phone" has died. Any certified phone doctors here.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think SoJer (post #24) has got your configuration figured out.

You have a physical phone line coming into your house. On this same phone line you also have your Internet (DSL). Your phone (dial tone) and Internet are split out by your Paradyne modem.

Your Internet still works, that tell us that it is NOT a cable problem between you and the Telephone company. That leaves an equipment problem on your end or on the Telephone Company's end.

On your end;

1. You connected a new telephone directly to right port on your Paradyne, waited several minutes and you still don't have dial tone.
2. You have unplugged power (you didn't just turn a power switch off) to your Paradyne for several minutes, connected the new phone directly to the Paradyne and then reconnected the Paradyne to power. You still don't have dial tone.

You have done everything you can on your end to restore your phone service. That leaves the Paradyne is either bad or equipment on the Telephone's end. Suggest you email your Telephone Company. In your email tell them you did steps 1 and 2 as outlined above and ask them to send you a replacement for your Paradyne.

A good Telephone Company will configure a Paradyne replacement AND TEST it on their equipment that provides you with dial tone and Internet service. This will also reveal to them if their equipment was at fault.

Last edited:
This is the e-mail response from ACS to helping resolve my phone issue. This is not a joke, this is the message they sent me this morning.

Hello,

I’m writing to share an update on our company transaction. As we shared last year, we’ve taken an important step to grow our company and better serve you.

On Friday, our shareholders voted to approve the acquisition of the company by ATN International. This means we are one step closer to being part of ATN, a global holding company with investments and experience in communications and renewable energy companies. The next step is to get regulatory approvals. We expect the deal to close in the third quarter, assuming we receive those approvals.

What does this mean for you?
ATN recognizes the value in our company and people. Our plan is to keep operations and employees focused on serving you, our customers. Our brand, company name and commitment to Alaska remain the same, as will those you work with on a daily basis. This is an exciting opportunity to do more for our customers, employees and communities. We are known for being local, reliable and trustworthy. That’s who we are and will always be.

With this step, we can invest in our network, facilities and employees to better serve you.

We value you and we’re excited for this opportunity. Thank you for being our customer and we look forward to serving you through this transition.

Thank you,

Bill Bishop
President and CEO
600 Telephone Ave.
Anchorage, AK 99503
Customer Service: 800-808-8083

Welcome to corporate shuck and jive. This is about the forth time they have been merged or bought out in a "Wall street" financial musical money show. By my crude calculation the next merger should be with "China International Global Electric and Communication Inc."

Well, at least you have a number to call... next time you are in town. If you drop Bill Bishop's name when you call maybe you will get decent service.

I'm stuck in a Haines motel. If I'm on hold the wife can't call me. PM me all the numbers and info you think necessary and I'll give them a call for you Wednesday, if you wish.

I'm stuck in a Haines motel. If I'm on hold the wife can't call me. PM me all the numbers and info you think necessary and I'll give them a call for you Wednesday, if you wish.

I am in contact with ACS by e-mail. They are running some tests. They suspect they will have to do a field trip. They will hopefully know more after the tests. Sadly they only come out here to this area twice a month.

I am in contact with ACS by e-mail. They are running some tests. They suspect they will have to do a field trip. They will hopefully know more after the tests. Sadly they only come out here to this area twice a month.
Sorry but that is the price for living in divine issolation.

:peace:

Ben

Well.......latest update. In theory I have phone service now. Problem not here at my outside service box. He had to wade through five feet of neck deep snow to get to the service box. After discovering problem "not" here.......he had to hike back down the mountain, and drive half mile, and climb 1/4 mile up a different part of this mountain, even steeper then getting to my place, to the microwave receiving shack, where he did something and I have phone service "Kind'a". I had purchased a new "super ultra loud hearing assist" phone, that I now need to figure out how to operate.

Last edited:
...Problem not here at my outside service box. He had to wade through five feet of neck deep snow to get to the service box. After discovering problem "not" here.......he had to hike back down the mountain, and drive half mile, and climb 1/4 mile up a different part of this mountain, even steeper then getting to my place, to the microwave receiving shack, where he did something and I have phone service...

Standard operating procedure. Check at the Demark (your outside service box) to determine if the problem is on the customer side or on the Telco side.

Now you can call in your pizza order!!!!!! ;)

Now you can call in your pizza order!!!!!! ;)

I think it would require 100% of my monthly social security check just for the "tip" to the delivery driver 136 miles each way over two bad mountain passes in winter.

Latest posts

Back