My poor little kitty

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We are having some fairly rough t-storms tonight. My youngest house cat (a little over a year old) loves to sit in the window when it's raining. There was the loudest crash and lightning strike, hit a tree in the pasture behind us. Well, Tiger was in the window!😿, then he was under the bed. He finally came out after almost two and a half hours, then came another big boom! I think he'll be afraid of storms from now on!! Bless his heart!!

Awww, poor baby!
We have a kitty that immediately runs for the 2nd-from-the-top step (going down to the basement) whenever it starts to thunder. It's like he doesn't want to be too far away from everyone, but I guess being just below the level of the main floor feels safer to him.
I always feel for our furbabies when the whether scares them.

I don't react to lightning and my dog has become okay with it. I'm waiting for her first quake. Friends frisked out and babied their dog and now her freaks out every time there is a little tremor.

We are having some fairly rough t-storms tonight. My youngest house cat (a little over a year old) loves to sit in the window when it's raining. There was the loudest crash and lightning strike, hit a tree in the pasture behind us. Well, Tiger was in the window!😿, then he was under the bed. He finally came out after almost two and a half hours, then came another big boom! I think he'll be afraid of storms from now on!! Bless his heart!!

We had a dog like that. She would not come to me if I had a pork chop around my neck. Strictly my wife's dog. Until it started to rain, and my wife wasn't home. Then she would bury herself in my lap, shaking. I guess any port in a storm, literally.

Both of ours too. Thunder = under the bed!
Of course they have much better hearing than we do and it was cool to watch the eyes on the little one get huge before jetting under the bed. :oops:
I had heard nothing.:dunno: ....then 5 minutes later, all hell broke loose!
...something to be said for "the canary in the coal-mine".:)

When I was a kid I had a Black Lab/Blue Heeler cross dog. A big, thick, strong, fearless looking dog. He wasn't afraid of gunfire but he was terrified of thunderstorms and would wiggle his way behind the toilet and hide.

My Doberman didn't like storms either. He was normally very aloof and didn't care where I was, so long as I was somewhere he could see or smell me. But when a storm came he'd be right by me, whining.

Never seen a cat that cared about storms, but then cats don't care about much of anything so long as their human slaves do their bidding...

He went under the bed several times last night during the storms. He always would hop in a window during rain or storms, I think that strike changed his mind!!
Just be ready to have a lap kitty ever time it storms for a while.

IMG_20220103_131610319.jpg
Hopefully you meant kitty picture and not the tree that was struck by lightning! This is Tiger!

I had a pair just like them once! 8 ball and Brucy 8 ball was a genius who used the toilet like a person turned water on and opened doors. and Brucy was kind of funny, he thought he was female. he could, on occasion articulate human speech however. 0_0 just whenever he needed to though.
One time he was about to get his butt kicked by one of my other cats named "Sounder" and he looked me right in the eye and said "Help me!" in perfect English! So I picked him up and tossed him on the roof where he could escape. A bit later, one of my idiot neighbors gut shot him, and as I was about to put him out of his misery, he raised up and said "He hurt me." And I shot him.
True story.
In case you care, neighbor did not end well. At one time I was quite good at Sorcery.

Last edited:
I don't react to lightning and my dog has become okay with it. I'm waiting for her first quake. Friends frisked out and babied their dog and now her freaks out every time there is a little tremor.
I remember a 7.2 I had on the coast years back. I was making mac n cheese. Hooch was sitting patiently by the stove, ears perked up ready to snatch a falling noodle or cheese chunk when it hit. Didnt faze him a bit..I had to grab the pot n carry it to the back to get him out if the house.
It was funny...
Then i turned on my SAR radio n listened to utter chaos . It was only a year or two after one of the big quakes in Indonesia I believe where the tsunami wiped out thousands of folks n property.
Still fresh on everyone's mind n our community was ill prepared to react properly. It became a learning lesson for the community. After the next big tsunami threat from Japan's quake n tsunami, the whole west coast was on alert. Our town evacuated the city areas in a controlled mostly orderly fashion. It took out the harbor but that was it.

Awww. Poor kitty. Mine tend to ignore thunder for the most part. They sometimes look alarmed a bit but I've never seen them panic over it. They like to cuddle up to me by default so no different during storms. Recently one of my dogs has been a big baby about the loud thunder though. She jumped into my arms and I had to wrap her in the covers and hold her until she calmed down. I was perfectly calm and half asleep so I think that helped.

As for cats, the most I saw mine freak out over a natural phenomena was when my cats in Guam freaked out for an hour before an earthquake. They were running around with their fur sticking up, ears back, and they couldn't seem to relax. We didn't know what was wrong until everything started shaking.

Latest posts

Back