My refrigerator has "DIED".......or in a COMA.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only going to get worse. As they mandate more electric anything, there will be fewer parts made for the non-electric versions.

After reading posts here, we have ordered calipers, boots and extra break pads plus the specialty tools needed to install them. Getting too old for this crap but it's becoming do or die just like bygone days.

The next time we buy a cow, we know that we will have to cut and wrap it ourselves or we are looking at 18 months plus for processing. We just bought an older lamb from the neighbor. They couldn't sell it because no butcher was available. Butcher paper was one of the items I stocked up on.

Our medical care is down to having a good lucky feeling.

I put our old frig outside to keep drinks in.
The freezer side occasionally doesn't keep stuff frozen and the frig side will freeze stuff solid at times.
There was a huge mess when a case of pop froze and broke in the frig.
This summer I'm going to clean the coils and pressure wash it inside and out.
If it is still messed up I'll toss it.

I put our old frig outside to keep drinks in.
The freezer side occasionally doesn't keep stuff frozen and the frig side will freeze stuff solid at times.
There was a huge mess when a case of pop froze and broke in the frig.
This summer I'm going to clean the coils and pressure wash it inside and out.
If it is still messed up I'll toss it.
Sounds like you have a trans-fridge. Is someone in your family woke? I can't think how else it would have been converted.

My theory is the coils are clogged up with leaves and crud.
This Spring or Summer I'm going to clean the coils then use a pressure washer and give it a good cleaning inside and out.
If it still doesn't work right I'll haul it to the recycle place.
Nobody in my family is woke. My Wire's family is a completely different story.

I FINALLY got my frig fixed! It has been out since the end of November. LG finally relented and sent parts b/c I have been on their azz about it for months. I think they figured out I wasn't about to let it go. The tech said it was about $1000 in parts. Long story short.....I was not impressed with the tech who fixed it. I'll just leave it at that. I don't want to see this guy again and I won't be calling him again unless this is only a short term fix b/c he says he gurantees his work. Hopefully I won't need to find out if that's true.

However, it is running and making ice at the moment. Yeah!!! :dancing:

I'm just hoping that this isn't a short term fix. I had to pay $550 for labor so it'd better last at least a couple of years. I'm debating whether or not I want to waste my time composing a letter to LG about the headaches this whole thing caused. I have a feeling it would just go on deaf ears.

I'm really anxious to get this other frig out of my kitchen so I can get my space back, but I'm hesitant to move it until I know for sure this frig will work out long term. I'm kinda stuck there, but I badly want this other frig outta my way.

Morale of the story........do NOT buy a LG frig with a linear compressor! LG has a long list of angry customers due to these compressors that inevitably fail. Some just take a little longer than others. Their 'warranty' is laughable. It'll take you countless phone calls and aggrivation to get them to do anything. They lie lie lie lie, so just know that up front. I don't have a recommendation of what to buy.......just a recommendation of what NOT to buy.

A few days ago, the ice maker wasn't working. I thought OH NO! That is usually the first indication that a problem is waiting in the midst for the rest of the frig. It also seemed to me that the food in the freezer drawer had some frost on the outside of some packages....grrrrrrr! It was a stressful day already, so I was not happy about this at all, to say the least. Hubby was getting ready to go on an overnight work trip and had already put in a very long day. In anticipation of the frig going out, he went to the barn and got the backup frig we bought during the first outage in November and we got it back into the house b/c we thought for sure it would be needed while he was gone.

Thankfully.....the ice maker started working again after I found a youtube video about how to reset the ice maker. So, now we have ice and everything else seems to be working fine. Although, I'm not sure what the original issue was? Now this weekend we'll have to get the backup frig outta here again and back to the barn. Even though it's a huge PIA getting that frig in and out, it's wayyyyyyyy better than having to get our original frig looked at again, especially considering I really don't want to call that repairman again.

For those of you who have dependable frigs, thank the Lord for that. It's a huge inconvience when you have to move all your food and have to search for a replacement. They sure don't make things like they used to.:(

A few days ago, the ice maker wasn't working. I thought OH NO! That is usually the first indication that a problem is waiting in the midst for the rest of the frig. It also seemed to me that the food in the freezer drawer had some frost on the outside of some packages....grrrrrrr! It was a stressful day already, so I was not happy about this at all, to say the least. Hubby was getting ready to go on an overnight work trip and had already put in a very long day. In anticipation of the frig going out, he went to the barn and got the backup frig we bought during the first outage in November and we got it back into the house b/c we thought for sure it would be needed while he was gone.

Thankfully.....the ice maker started working again after I found a youtube video about how to reset the ice maker. So, now we have ice and everything else seems to be working fine. Although, I'm not sure what the original issue was? Now this weekend we'll have to get the backup frig outta here again and back to the barn. Even though it's a huge PIA getting that frig in and out, it's wayyyyyyyy better than having to get our original frig looked at again, especially considering I really don't want to call that repairman again.

For those of you who have dependable frigs, thank the Lord for that. It's a huge inconvience when you have to move all your food and have to search for a replacement. They sure don't make things like they used to.:(
Our icemaker will stop working every few months.
No big deal.
I learned much from the repair technician in my previous post.
He checked every part, all good. Plugged it back up and it worked great. :thumbs:
All recent fridges are controlled by a computer board and are susceptible to power fluctuations which can cause them to go bonkers.
Unplug for 15 minutes and plug back in, before you go throwing away a perfectly good fridge :(.

Last edited:
I guess in the back of my mind I'm thinking this thing could croak any minute now. The trust I have for this LG frig is zero. Hubby said there's NO WAY we are calling that first guy back even if he guarantees his work. He said he'd rather go and buy a new frig.

My kid moved into a house with appliances already in it. The frig is one of those yellow ones from the 70's or 80's. I can't even remember now if it has an icemaker, but I think it does. It's an old Kenmore. I have more trust in that thing than I do with mine.

Latest posts

Back