My wife's dog

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So my wife has a dog. Not one of our Rotties, those are family dogs, but a little dog. It started out as just hers but then somehow became part hers and part our two younger daughters. It's not so little that it could fit in a purse or something but it's little compared to our snarling home security animals. It is a female Boglen: half Beagle & half Boston Terrier. While the breed is supposed to end up weighing around 20-25lbs it ended up weighing about 33lbs. No doubt from being fed a lifelong diet of quality fats, proteins, veggies and NO grains not to mention getting a whole lot of exercise. This dog was acquired to be a snuggle buddy, a part time garden protector, and something the kids could treat like a baby (as in nurture and learning responsibility). What I did not expect what that this little pain in the you-know-what has also turned out to be an amazing hunter. I cannot even begin to guess how many times I have picked up a gift left for us on the patio in the form of a dead rabbit, squirrel, bird, and occasional cat. A couple of times cats with collars (yikes). Did I mention that not only is the dog a skilled hunter, she is one small chunk of muscle, and she is considerably faster than any dog her size I have ever seen? Well it's all true. A month ago we were at the BOL and this little thing kept coming back with fat toads, gophers, and other animals. Usually dead or close to it, but never mutilated. Seemed like she was more interested in the hunt than she was in the prize. When we got her I had always planned to just set her free if the S ever HTF. I have preps for the Rotties but I was certainly not going to care for or concern myself with a little half breed. Now I am starting to think that this dog might be worth her weight as a meat hunter. I might start playing with her and see if I can get to focus more on squirrels and less on cats. Although I think cats are her primary source of entertainment. That's based solely on howling and watching her go crazy when a cat walks by one of our windows.

20181116_161600.jpg

The terrier in her is the hunter. I have come to know some wonderful terriers at different dog parks in the last couple years (Jack Russell, Irish terrier, Wire hair fox terrier). Some terriers are not very common, such as the Irish terrier. There are something like 3 breeders in the U.S. Another terrier I saw recently was a Welsh terrier. It looked very similar to the Irish terrier. I was driving on a side street and saw a woman walking it. I rolled down my window and asked her what it was.

There is an interesting YouTube video of some terriers catching rats.

Anyone who has a rodent problem on a farm or ranch, and many do, needs a terrier or two.

The terrier in her is the hunter.

Beagles are trackers. Terries are hunters. Boglens must be good at both.

Also she almost never barks, but she does howl a lot. Especially when she finds something she wants to kill or when that thing made it to the fence before she got it.

Beagles are trackers. Terries are hunters. Boglens must be good at both.

Also she almost never barks, but she does howl a lot. Especially when she finds something she wants to kill or when that thing made it to the fence before she got it.
The Irish terrier was having a playful fight at the dog park recently and I heard growling. I told his owner that after spending 100's of days around the dog, I don't think I had ever heard it bark or growl. This happened to be the dog who alerted his owner to someone out back in their yard, mid day, considering coming through the doggy door.

I have spent time around Boston terriers. They don't put up with anything from other dogs either. They can be the smallest dog in a dog park, but they are in control of most of it.

I have spent time around Boston terriers. They don't put up with anything from other dogs either. They can be the smallest dog in a dog park, but they are in control of most of it.

Our Boglen has never gotten into a serious dust up with the Rotties, but she plays hard and thinks she as big as they are. But she did go after a huge Labradoodle once and shocked the owner at how aggressive she was. We had to drag her away by the leash. Something about the dog sent her down the dark path.

Our Boglen has never gotten into a serious dust up with the Rotties, but she plays hard and thinks she as big as they are. But she did go after a huge Labradoodle once and shocked the owner at how aggressive she was. We had to drag her away by the leash. Something about the dog sent her down the dark path.
Yep, they run with the big dogs.

Sounds like a good dog @Sentry18 and a keeper for hunting purposes. Yes terriers were bred for hunting and do a good job of it.

We have a cat that does similar and brings in venemous snakes, kills rats and brings in mice all deceased apart from the snake which she bought into the food storage room and guarded us from getting to it.

terriers are born hunters, sounds like that one is worth its weight in gold as a game provider more than I can say for rotties.

I have 2 Rotties currently but have owned a total of 4 in my life. You are right. They are amazing guard dogs, unrelenting protectors, and loving family pets but they are not hunters.

most dogs are good guard dogs, not to be confused with ATTACK dogs, a dogs hearing is 100 times better than a humans and our terrier knew when someone was approaching the house long before we did, I had a poodle when I was growing up and he could hear my dads car a mile off, he'd be waiting at the front door when he came up the steps.
I want half a dozen(6) terriers and other smaller dogs for when SHTF, i'd rather have them than a dozen people.

This Boglen is the worst guard dog in the history of guard dogs. She does not bark, she does not alert, she does nothing. Mail carrier, UPS, pizza delivery, she could care less. You could put on a clown suit, grab a machete, and walk into our house at 2am and she would just sit there wagging her tail pleading to be pet. But if she sees a squirrel out the front window she will lose her mind. The good news is that her big German cousins are all the guard / attack dogs we need. They do not bark either, but they do patrol the house all day and all night, and they have no qualms with getting between us and danger (real or perceived).

My Strawberry is half Beagle and half Jack Russell Terrier.
I have no moles, voles, rabbits, snakes where I live.
She isn't afraid to put herself between me and her perceived danger.
She weights in at 23 pounds, I have her on tie out lead of at least 90 pounds or more.
She's that strong.
She is very protective of me and grand daughter.
Strawberry is my seizure dog.

My cousin had a rottweiler that was huge and her big baby.
One day some workers from the farm next door decided to eat their lunch on her front lawn. She asked them to leave, they laughed and gave her the no habla.
She opened the kennel door and when the dog hit the front yard the illegals hit the road, tortillas flying everywhere. They never returned.
We currently have 2 small chiweenies, half chiwawa and half wiener dog, or as we called the mix years ago, mutts. They bark at everything and sound vicious but they just want petted or to play fetch.

So my wife has a dog. Not one of our Rotties, those are family dogs, but a little dog. It started out as just hers but then somehow became part hers and part our two younger daughters. It's not so little that it could fit in a purse or something but it's little compared to our snarling home security animals. It is a female Boglen: half Beagle & half Boston Terrier. While the breed is supposed to end up weighing around 20-25lbs it ended up weighing about 33lbs. No doubt from being fed a lifelong diet of quality fats, proteins, veggies and NO grains not to mention getting a whole lot of exercise. This dog was acquired to be a snuggle buddy, a part time garden protector, and something the kids could treat like a baby (as in nurture and learning responsibility). What I did not expect what that this little pain in the you-know-what has also turned out to be an amazing hunter. I cannot even begin to guess how many times I have picked up a gift left for us on the patio in the form of a dead rabbit, squirrel, bird, and occasional cat. A couple of times cats with collars (yikes). Did I mention that not only is the dog a skilled hunter, she is one small chunk of muscle, and she is considerably faster than any dog her size I have ever seen? Well it's all true. A month ago we were at the BOL and this little thing kept coming back with fat toads, gophers, and other animals. Usually dead or close to it, but never mutilated. Seemed like she was more interested in the hunt than she was in the prize. When we got her I had always planned to just set her free if the S ever HTF. I have preps for the Rotties but I was certainly not going to care for or concern myself with a little half breed. Now I am starting to think that this dog might be worth her weight as a meat hunter. I might start playing with her and see if I can get to focus more on squirrels and less on cats. Although I think cats are her primary source of entertainment. That's based solely on howling and watching her go crazy when a cat walks by one of our windows.

View attachment 23076

Sounds like she is bringing you the 'food'. Good girl.

Sounds like a good dog @Sentry18 and a keeper for hunting purposes. Yes terriers were bred for hunting and do a good job of it.

We have a cat that does similar and brings in venemous snakes, kills rats and brings in mice all deceased apart from the snake which she bought into the food storage room and guarded us from getting to it.

Our cat did the same thing, rats,rabbits, snakes, squirrels and a cute little chicmonk who loves to hang in hubbys pocket as did the squirrels .
My cat was very smart. I'd point toward a rat in the house o shed and he would reach in grab it and take it outside.

We have always been dog people, and yes, they are included in our preps. They are all lap dogs, and wouldn't be much use in a fight, but my wife adores them. At this time we have three. We have always had one, and usually two, three, or four. Every dog we have ever had has been rescued, and we have probably rescued 15-20 throughout the course of our marriage.

It really doesn't take much to include them in your preps. Ours are small so one 25 lb. bag of dog food would last quite a while. Just an FYI, which most people here probably already know, but when you plan water for a dog you should have a minimum of one ounce of water per pound of body weight per dog per day.

Back