My Wood Projects

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Been woodworking for 40+ years,
Furniture, Turning, , about anything that don't get called carpentry... did enough of that too ....don't like it...too hard.
Heres a couple,

100_2248.JPG

hobby2.jpg
bosx.JPG

Jim

Attachments

• 100_2256.JPG
    100_2256.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 100_2258.JPG
    100_2258.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
You and your wife are incredibly talented people. I don't think of carpentry being harder, hubs was a union carpenter so I've been involved with it for years. To my way of thinking your's is the harder because of the detail and the patience needed to get the quality and look out of a piece of wood.

Believe me, I get it. I didn't think twice about unloading a ton of feed or hay a few years ago. Now lifting a 50# bag of feed nearly does me in.

The good thing about your woodworking is that it's so cerebral more than physical.

Believe me, I get it. I didn't think twice about unloading a ton of feed or hay a few years ago. Now lifting a 50# bag of feed nearly does me in.

The good thing about your woodworking is that it's so cerebral more than physical.

I see everything as a challenge...
I have always jumped into everything head first,

Now it takes me 30 minutes just to get out of bed.
Bad knees, Looking at replacements, bad back, 3 surgeries there,
Bad heart , 2 major heart attacks, colon mostly gone, cut off everything from right hand except index and middle finger.

Still can shoot guns though.

Jim

I am paying for some of what I've done to my body but no where near what you're dealing with.

Of course you can still shoot guns. It's male DNA thing.

I'm sitting here thinking about how much I do with my opposite hand which is quite a bit because of issues from abuse of my dominant. I'm trying to picture me bringing a gun up to my left shoulder and I just can't see it. I get that you were forced to and it was adjust or put the firearms away. And with me not being able to picture myself doing it helps me really understand the challenge to not only learn to do it but do it well.

I see everything as a challenge...
I have always jumped into everything head first,

Now it takes me 30 minutes just to get out of bed.
Bad knees, Looking at replacements, bad back, 3 surgeries there,
Bad heart , 2 major heart attacks, colon mostly gone, cut off everything from right hand except index and middle finger.

Still can shoot guns though.

Jim

How are the fingers coming along?

How are the fingers coming along?
I'm assuming that you're referring to the 2 crushed fingers on my left hand , from back in June.

The magic of pixie dust (matristem technology) has grown both back almost 100%.

I go back to see the surgeon one more time, in Jan.. and thats it,
6 months from being gone, to fully grown back.
hand.jpg
hand2.jpg

Jim

Absolutely amazing work.

Now about that thing you have against your poor fingers . . .

Well , the pics above of my left hand shows the middle finger and ring finger almost normal,
They were both crushed on June 15th , between 2 pieces of firewood by a 28 ton log splitter..
The midlle finger was about 1/2" gone, the ring finger was gone from first knuckle to end.
Nothing was left, but a small protrusion of bone.

University of St Louis Hospital , ahs a surgeon doing reconstruction , using a powder and skin from pig bladder...it's called MatriStem.

They have grown back , been somewhat painful, and long drawn out , but I have them back,
Still sensitive, but that will go away.
No scars, full fingernails, and finger prints..It's all new me.

Cool.

Google matristem.(Matrixing of Stem cells)

Jim

I heard of that. Well, I read about it. It's great to actually have someone that has experienced the procedure and can say, yes, indeed it worked.

Hubs lost his finger tips in much the same way, crushed between a couple of I beams. I about had a fit. He was supposed to be assigning duties to the workers, not doing the work himself.

We're nearly 20 years out and his fingertips are still tender. Much better than the early going but more sensitive than his unaffected hand. They tend to suffer in the cold too. Are you finding that with yours?

I don’t know about crushed bu5 the ends of a couple of my fingers were cut pretty badly years ago and they still hurt in the cold (as do most of the various bones and joints I hav3 broken or torn). When I was much younger I thought it was no big deal “they will heal” and they do ... sort of

I'm sitting here thinking about how much I do with my opposite hand which is quite a bit because of issues from abuse of my dominant. I'm trying to picture me bringing a gun up to my left shoulder and I just can't see it. I get that you were forced to and it was adjust or put the firearms away. And with me not being able to picture myself doing it helps me really understand the challenge to not only learn to do it but do it well.
I have been trying to train myself to shoot rifles and pistols with on my left for a while now. So far i would better off chucking the gun at the target, but it better be close because i suck at that too with my left...

I have been trying to train myself to shoot rifles and pistols with on my left for a while now. So far i would better off chucking the gun at the target, but it better be close because i suck at that too with my left...
LOL Exactly!!! But I'd have to throw it with my left because range of motion is not quite great on the right.

I don’t know about crushed bu5 the ends of a couple of my fingers were cut pretty badly years ago and they still hurt in the cold (as do most of the various bones and joints I hav3 broken or torn). When I was much younger I thought it was no big deal “they will heal” and they do ... sort of
So our Mothers were right all along. Who knew?

I'm assuming that you're referring to the 2 crushed fingers on my left hand , from back in June.

The magic of pixie dust (matristem technology) has grown both back almost 100%.

I go back to see the surgeon one more time, in Jan.. and thats it,
6 months from being gone, to fully grown back.View attachment 92 View attachment 93

Jim

That is amazing. Did the bone grow back too? Do you have full use of them? How's the wife doing with her new RA meds?

That is amazing. Did the bone grow back too? Do you have full use of them? How's the wife doing with her new RA meds?

Yes , they (in 6 months) are almost back to normal, the sensitivity is getting beteter all the time.,
Th wifes RA is ...well, the same as gone , as far as the pain, just some disfigureing of her hands.

Miracle drugs do come along once in a while.

Yall talking about loosing finger tips and shooting lefty ...

6 Years ago next month..
I cut all five digits off my right hand.
Spent 10 hrs in surgery at Jewish Hand Center , Louisville,

They saved 2.

Yes I shoot handguns lefty, better than I ever did righty ,
Took me 2 years to fully adapt with the eyes.
I still shoot long guns Righty ...only need a trigger finger.:)

Yes those 2 fingers can't stand cold , and are really dead except hot and cold sensation.

I have become a lefty after all my life a righty.

Here ...I just took this.

hand4.jpg

Jim

A good percentage of people with the physical hindrances that you have accrued over the years would of given up. My hat is off to you Sir!
SALUTE!!

You can strive to move forward or you can fall back but you cannot remain stationary. Great job on moving forward.

Long gun I shoot lefty. Hand gun I shoot right. Long bow right and cross bow lefty. Can't seem to make up m mind. I did push my sons growing up to use both hands and not try to favor one over the other. Only thing I can't do left handed is write. Course I can't do that well right handed either.

Last edited:
Back