Name that Thing~

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Every here and there we seem to run across a gadget that we aren't sure about. Multiple times, I've bought an item at a yard sale so I can figure out what it was and how it was used. Recently I acquired a bowl that was my grandmother's. It had several things in it such as a large tea ball, a jar lifter for canning, etc. It also had this thing. Can any of you tell me what it is?
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg

@Camalot thought you might find use in this thread also.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Did you check the marks on the side for correlation, meaning - Do they measure 1 and 2 cups? Or some other unit of measure? Knowing how much they measure might indicate what they measure.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Did you check the marks on the side for correlation, meaning - Do they measure 1 and 2 cups? Or some other unit of measure? Knowing how much they measure might indicate what they measure.
My guess is an egg poacher. It sits on a glass nicely with those little knobby things - I thought 1 egg, 2 eggs??? It's not like a 1/4 cup or tablespoon, unless it's a serving size of something - maybe a free measuring tool, again??????

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
That's the fanciest jigger I have ever seen, and believe me, I have seen a lot of of them. Must be designed for immediate use, because you can't put it down anywhere, and expect the contents to stay in it.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
That's the fanciest jigger I have ever seen, and believe me, I have seen a lot of of them. Must be designed for immediate use, because you can't put it down anywhere, and expect the contents to stay in it.
On the little write up, it said you put it on the glass, measure and tip it directly into the glass/drink so no spilling (waste not want not ;))

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
On the little write up, it said you put it on the glass, measure and tip it directly into the glass/drink so no spilling (waste not want not ;))
That would work.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Another one: I found this copper pot this weekend for a price I couldn't pass up, but it appears to be missing a piece inside. Anyone know just what the part missing is? I am guessing it's for steaming etc. unless you tell me otherwise.
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4108.jpg

I haven't washed it yet, but I will 😊

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Another one: I found this copper pot this weekend for a price I couldn't pass up, but it appears to be missing a piece inside. Anyone know just what the part missing is? I am guessing it's for steaming etc. unless you tell me otherwise.
View attachment 75960View attachment 75961
I haven't washed it yet, but I will 😊
I like the steamer guess. The tabs supported something and it looks like it only ever boiled water.

Ben

Tirediron

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Shiny copper like that it has to be part of a still, at least that's the hillbilly take on shiny copper stuff

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I don't have a clue, but it sure looks interesting. I can't wait to hear what it is. Have you had an antique dealer look at it? Maybe somebody in that business would know.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
What's that on the side? A handle?
Yep, a handle on either side.
I don't have a clue, but it sure looks interesting. I can't wait to hear what it is. Have you had an antique dealer look at it? Maybe somebody in that business would know.
I hadn't even thought of that - great idea.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Shiny copper like that it has to be part of a still, at least that's the hillbilly take on shiny copper stuff
I hadn't thought of that either, but it does look like it could have possibly been homemade though if it was, a good job was done. I will wash it this morning and verify not stamp or sticker etc. I didn't see one but will double check.

Pearl

The cleaning lady
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I hadn't thought of that either, but it does look like it could have possibly been homemade though if it was, a good job was done. I will wash it this morning and verify not stamp or sticker etc. I didn't see one but will double check.
Try making us some moonshine!!🥃🍺

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Try making us some moonshine!!🥃🍺
As I was washing it this morning, I thought "Oh great, if it is a moonshine pot, I have a lot to learn." 😂

Also, I did look & no stamps or marks on it that I can find.

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Indian cookware?

Looks like tabs would work for the inserts

Ben