Name that Thing~

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyLocust

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Every here and there we seem to run across a gadget that we aren't sure about. Multiple times, I've bought an item at a yard sale so I can figure out what it was and how it was used. Recently I acquired a bowl that was my grandmother's. It had several things in it such as a large tea ball, a jar lifter for canning, etc. It also had this thing. Can any of you tell me what it is?
IMG_4011.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg

@Camalot thought you might find use in this thread also.

Did you check the marks on the side for correlation, meaning - Do they measure 1 and 2 cups? Or some other unit of measure? Knowing how much they measure might indicate what they measure.
My guess is an egg poacher. It sits on a glass nicely with those little knobby things - I thought 1 egg, 2 eggs??? It's not like a 1/4 cup or tablespoon, unless it's a serving size of something - maybe a free measuring tool, again??????

That's the fanciest jigger I have ever seen, and believe me, I have seen a lot of of them. Must be designed for immediate use, because you can't put it down anywhere, and expect the contents to stay in it.

That's the fanciest jigger I have ever seen, and believe me, I have seen a lot of of them. Must be designed for immediate use, because you can't put it down anywhere, and expect the contents to stay in it.
On the little write up, it said you put it on the glass, measure and tip it directly into the glass/drink so no spilling (waste not want not ;))

On the little write up, it said you put it on the glass, measure and tip it directly into the glass/drink so no spilling (waste not want not ;))

That would work.

Another one: I found this copper pot this weekend for a price I couldn't pass up, but it appears to be missing a piece inside. Anyone know just what the part missing is? I am guessing it's for steaming etc. unless you tell me otherwise.
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4108.jpg

I haven't washed it yet, but I will 😊

Another one: I found this copper pot this weekend for a price I couldn't pass up, but it appears to be missing a piece inside. Anyone know just what the part missing is? I am guessing it's for steaming etc. unless you tell me otherwise.
View attachment 75960View attachment 75961
I haven't washed it yet, but I will 😊
I like the steamer guess. The tabs supported something and it looks like it only ever boiled water.

Ben

Shiny copper like that it has to be part of a still, at least that's the hillbilly take on shiny copper stuff

I don't have a clue, but it sure looks interesting. I can't wait to hear what it is. Have you had an antique dealer look at it? Maybe somebody in that business would know.

What's that on the side? A handle?
Yep, a handle on either side.
I don't have a clue, but it sure looks interesting. I can't wait to hear what it is. Have you had an antique dealer look at it? Maybe somebody in that business would know.
I hadn't even thought of that - great idea.

Shiny copper like that it has to be part of a still, at least that's the hillbilly take on shiny copper stuff
I hadn't thought of that either, but it does look like it could have possibly been homemade though if it was, a good job was done. I will wash it this morning and verify not stamp or sticker etc. I didn't see one but will double check.

I hadn't thought of that either, but it does look like it could have possibly been homemade though if it was, a good job was done. I will wash it this morning and verify not stamp or sticker etc. I didn't see one but will double check.
Try making us some moonshine!!🥃🍺

I ran the numbers on the handle and they match a machining tool patent from 1945??? Still hunting! And is that green nail polish I see!!??
Yep, I figured I was doing my nails so you couldn't see the dirt under them, I might as well encourage the plants 🤪 (Yep, I'm warped.)

Yep, I figured I was doing my nails so you couldn't see the dirt under them, I might as well encourage the plants 🤪 (Yep, I'm warped.)
Don't tell anybody but my toes are painted a light metallic green. The hummingbirds and dragonflies come to them when I'm on the pool float! Sometimes wasps too😮! Guess I'm a little warped too sis!!

Back