Natural Hair health

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Ok, so this isn't actually health related, but my daughter has very curly, kinky, frizzy hair. It's extremely thick and has a ton of volume. I mean, she looks like a 1980s music video, without doing anything special to it. And it tangles terribly. Do any of you have any natural things to use to detangle or care for very dry frizzy hair? I don't think all the things that the beauty shop sells us are doing her hair any good...

The more artificial moisturizers you use the drier her hair will get.
The scalp furnishes the oils for your hair and it will learn to produce the correct amount of oil if you let it.
Tangles? In dry air clean hair will respond to the static electricity that is all around us. After I wash my hair I brush it before it is completely dry. Once it's dry it frizzes whether I use a comb or a brush. I ave to use a moistened brush to keep it from knotting up on me. The more often it is brushed the quicker the oil will go from the scalp into the hair. If you must use an oil use coconut oil - it is the only oil I know of that does not dehydrate tissue.

I have long hair because when my wife met me I was a hair farmer. I grew it out, cut it off and donated it to "Locks of Love". After we got married we both cut our hair and donated it and then my wife requested that I keep it long. Right now it is down to my waist, baby fine and loves to be a mass of spiderwebs around my head and neck. I wake up with hair half swallowed. I wear it in a pony tail to control it a little. The only shampoo I have ever used is liquid dish soap. No conditioners and no oils. I use coconut oil for other things. nuff said!

She has used argan oil but seems to have given up on that. Her hair is so thick, with so much volume, that it makes a triangle from her head all the way to her shoulders. It's a bearcat trying to keep control of it. Here's an example of how it normally looks: (she'd kill me if she knew I shared this...)

Screenshot_20200124-235515.png

Well. short hair is easier to control.
My sister used to iron her hair.
I feel for her, she will have to walk around with a brush 24/7

She is a lovely girl too. (is she old enough to date yet dad?) ;)

Well. short hair is easier to control.
My sister used to iron her hair.
I feel for her, she will have to walk around with a brush 24/7

She is a lovely girl too. (is she old enough to date yet dad?) ;)
She better not be!

I tell her I won't have to shoot all the boys. The word will get out after I shoot the first one...

:lil guy:

:LOL:

Brushing can be problematic because the more it's brushed, the frizzier it gets, and it's somewhat brittle...

Use a damp brush, that will help.
It might take two "missing" boys before it is believable. I am glad that I am way too old for her. (also allergic to her cat) ;)
You brought her up right, she can decide what is right and when it is right.

I have a wife and 5 daughters; I am pretty sure we have $1,500,000 worth of hair stuff in their combined bathrooms. However I know they all use something called 'damage repair oil' in their hair. They also use something called 'hair cholesterol' which goes on before bed and then they wear a plastic cap and go to sleep. Sometimes they rub in coconut oil which they then was out a short time later.

I am not a fan of short hair on women, not at all. Just a personal preference and one that became a household policy until the girls reach a certain age. But when our oldest daughter turned that age (14 if I remember correctly) she cut her hair short as an act of independence. She HATED it with a passion and so did her sisters. So now all the other girls are afraid to cut their hair short.

She has used argan oil but seems to have given up on that. Her hair is so thick, with so much volume, that it makes a triangle from her head all the way to her shoulders. It's a bearcat trying to keep control of it. Here's an example of how it normally looks: (she'd kill me if she knew I shared this...)

View attachment 33421

I always had curly thick hair like that and tried to fight it but its easier to go with what you haave,imo. The argan oil it just dries mine out worse. Only wash it about ever 3 days.
Only thing that calmed mine down was age.
Just a few months ago I cut mine off to shoulder s. Too hard to wash it and deal with it. I stopped fighting it and just went basically natural.
I stopped using conditioner many years ago. I think organic coconut oil mixed with water in a small spray bottle will help.
I use to thin mine with a thinning comb. Now I just layer it and that thins it too. Don't use blow dryer. Comb when half wet them let it dry.
She is an attractive young lady.:thumbs:.
I think her hair is pretty.:great:

The more artificial moisturizers you use the drier her hair will get.
The scalp furnishes the oils for your hair and it will learn to produce the correct amount of oil if you let it.
Tangles? In dry air clean hair will respond to the static electricity that is all around us. After I wash my hair I brush it before it is completely dry. Once it's dry it frizzes whether I use a comb or a brush. I ave to use a moistened brush to keep it from knotting up on me. The more often it is brushed the quicker the oil will go from the scalp into the hair. If you must use an oil use coconut oil - it is the only oil I know of that does not dehydrate tissue.

I have long hair because when my wife met me I was a hair farmer. I grew it out, cut it off and donated it to "Locks of Love". After we got married we both cut our hair and donated it and then my wife requested that I keep it long. Right now it is down to my waist, baby fine and loves to be a mass of spiderwebs around my head and neck. I wake up with hair half swallowed. I wear it in a pony tail to control it a little. The only shampoo I have ever used is liquid dish soap. No conditioners and no oils. I use coconut oil for other things. nuff said!

I know the rocker Rod Stewart said he only uses bath soap on his hair, but his isn'y long .
Good on thr donation SheepD.:great:

I grew mine out and donated it twice also. People who at work who didn't like it always gave me a pass when I told them why I grew it out. Now about 1/4 inch is really easy to take care of.
1/4 inch is getting long for me. Of course, I'm half bald on top too. I keep mine that short for vanity as much as anything else...

Your daughter is a beautiful young woman. :)

I haven't had her experience, I'll just offer this in case it helps. I had problems with hair falling out, especially after washing it. (Not uncommon as women get older, but it was really problematic.) Researched possible reasons, figured it wasn't helped by ingredients in regular shampoos, looked for natural alternatives. Ended up getting Mill Creek's Biotin shampoo and conditioner. My hair is definitely healthier, and a lot has grown back (part line looks normal now), doesn't come out in my hands after showering, etc.

I can't say if it was the biotin that was the key thing, or the company - I don't remember any more. But if biotin isn't something that would work for your daughter, maybe something else in this company's product line would be. (Mill Creek Botanicals)

Your daughter is a beautiful young woman. :)

I haven't had her experience, I'll just offer this in case it helps. I had problems with hair falling out, especially after washing it. (Not uncommon as women get older, but it was really problematic.) Researched possible reasons, figured it wasn't helped by ingredients in regular shampoos, looked for natural alternatives. Ended up getting Mill Creek's Biotin shampoo and conditioner. My hair is definitely healthier, and a lot has grown back (part line looks normal now), doesn't come out in my hands after showering, etc.

I can't say if it was the biotin that was the key thing, or the company - I don't remember any more. But if biotin isn't something that would work for your daughter, maybe something else in this company's product line would be. (Mill Creek Botanicals)
Her "hair salon" productd have biotin in them. I couldn't say if it does any good or not...

While I don't have hair like that, I do use a leave in detangler/conditioner after I get out of the shower and before brushing to reduce breakage. It's called infusium 23 original formula pro vitamin leave in hair treatment. I used to be able to buy it at K-mart but there aren't any around here anymore, so I have to get it from Amazon. I put mine in a spray/spritz bottle b/c I don't use that much of it. It keeps the hair soft and manageable for me, but I don't have nearly as much as your lovely daughter does. I would also recommend not blow drying or using a heating iron on her hair either since both will cause damage and make the hair even more frizzy. I see that infusium also has a leave in cream as well. Hmmmmmm, I might have to try that. Sometimes I use different products every so often, but the original infusium 23 leave in treatment is by far my favorite.

While I don't have hair like that, I do use a leave in detangler/conditioner after I get out of the shower and before brushing to reduce breakage. It's called infusium 23 original formula pro vitamin leave in hair treatment. I used to be able to buy it at K-mart but there aren't any around here anymore, so I have to get it from Amazon. I put mine in a spray/spritz bottle b/c I don't use that much of it. It keeps the hair soft and manageable for me, but I don't have nearly as much as your lovely daughter does. I would also recommend not blow drying or using a heating iron on her hair either since both will cause damage and make the hair even more frizzy. I see that infusium also has a leave in cream as well. Hmmmmmm, I might have to try that. Sometimes I use different products every so often, but the original infusium 23 leave in treatment is by far my favorite.
Her hair has never seen a blow dryer. I'll look up the infusium 23.

My sis-in-law's hair would be like that if she let it grow long. It has always looked like your daughter's (I remember her from school days when she wore it long). Back then they didn't know how to take care of wild frizzy hair on white girls. lol
As for these days, like someone else said above, don't wash it every day. I would say twice a week, three times a week if she must. But the funny thing I've heard is don't use shampoo very much. They're using conditioner instead.
I think putting gel on it while it is wet, not brushing it, detangle with a pick, fingers or wide tooth comb. Use a towel over a tee shirt for towel dry. (The towel will make it frizz worse if it comes in contact with the hair). She probably already knows this. Keep it shorter. I just remembered one of my friends at work has this kind of hair and keeps it above her shoulders, one length. I'll ask her how she keeps it under control.
There are some really nice things to apply to the hair to keep the moisture in it. I started using something that is made of coconut and avocado. My hair is not curly, but wavy, long, and kind of frizzes sometimes. This helps keep it in check. Personally, I hate using conditioner.

@Spikedriver : my friend said she "rarely washes" her hair, meaning less than once a week. She said she uses any conditioner as her shampoo. Her hair is red ringlets above her shoulders. She brushes it when it's wet and otherwise doesn't comb or brush it. She uses hair spray, nothing special, nothing expensive. She doesn't get it wet when she showers unless it's time.
Personally, I love my friend's hair...the color and the ringlets are adorable.

@Spikedriver : my friend said she "rarely washes" her hair, meaning less than once a week. She said she uses any conditioner as her shampoo. Her hair is red ringlets above her shoulders. She brushes it when it's wet and otherwise doesn't comb or brush it. She uses hair spray, nothing special, nothing expensive. She doesn't get it wet when she showers unless it's time.
Personally, I love my friend's hair...the color and the ringlets are adorable.
We try to have her wash her hair 3 times a week. The longer it goes, the frizzier it gets, and it gets crusty and smells bad. I wish she could wash more often, but it is what it is...

We try to have her wash her hair 3 times a week. The longer it goes, the frizzier it gets, and it gets crusty and smells bad. I wish she could wash more often, but it is what it is...
I understand. I'd check with a high end hair care place if that is what's going on. Take her to the big city. I'm not a cosmetologist of course, but maybe something is off with the ph level of her scalp. One of my girls has very thick hair, the hairs are thick and there's a lot of it. She got it cut really short (for her) and it has helped ease shampooing. Previously it took a long time to get it all wet, a long time to suds it up and forever to rinse it out. Now its a lot easier.
I'd also suggest a vinegar rinse, especially getting that on the scalp. My daughter's hair couldn't rid itself of all the hair product (shampoo and conditioner) and it was in the hair and on the scalp too. Just suggesting. Just trying to help.
Has anyone suggested thinning it out?

I understand. I'd check with a high end hair care place if that is what's going on. Take her to the big city. I'm not a cosmetologist of course, but maybe something is off with the ph level of her scalp. One of my girls has very thick hair, the hairs are thick and there's a lot of it. She got it cut really short (for her) and it has helped ease shampooing. Previously it took a long time to get it all wet, a long time to suds it up and forever to rinse it out. Now its a lot easier.
I'd also suggest a vinegar rinse, especially getting that on the scalp. My daughter's hair couldn't rid itself of all the hair product (shampoo and conditioner) and it was in the hair and on the scalp too. Just suggesting. Just trying to help.
Has anyone suggested thinning it out?
I've talked to her about thinning. She doesn't really like the idea.
Part of the problem is that her hair is coarse like mine. So it's naturally dry and brittle. I'd like her to try a bit shorter style but she loves her long hair. She just doesn't like taking care of it...

@Spikedriver I have the same hair only brown. Sorry I just saw this. It was all good when Poison and Tina Turner were on the radio, but. . . . There are a couple of things she can do.
First is quit washing it every day. She is washing away the natural oils needed to tame it. I try to wash mine, skip a day, hot water rinse then skip a day then wash again. Quit with the shampoos and cream rinses. Again they just strip the natural oils. Use homemade soap (can find at farmers markets or online at sites like etsy) and just wash/suds near the scalp, not clear to the ends. Then I have a little cup with a couple tbl. of ACV. Fill the rest of the way with water and rinse with that. Comb while hair is still wet. Do not brush or comb once it's dry or it will fluff. If she is open to trying this, warn her that her hair will probably be wonky for maybe a week until it lines out. If product is needed or desired, plain ol' aloe vera gel (not liquid) works great and is odorless.
*In summer, it's hot and I work - mine gets at least rinsed every day - just how it goes. That's what braids and ponytails are for.

@Spikedriver I have the same hair only brown. Sorry I just saw this. It was all good when Poison and Tina Turner were on the radio, but. . . . There are a couple of things she can do.
First is quit washing it every day. She is washing away the natural oils needed to tame it. I try to wash mine, skip a day, hot water rinse then skip a day then wash again. Quit with the shampoos and cream rinses. Again they just strip the natural oils. Use homemade soap (can find at farmers markets or online at sites like etsy) and just wash/suds near the scalp, not clear to the ends. Then I have a little cup with a couple tbl. of ACV. Fill the rest of the way with water and rinse with that. Comb while hair is still wet. Do not brush or comb once it's dry or it will fluff. If she is open to trying this, warn her that her hair will probably be wonky for maybe a week until it lines out. If product is needed or desired, plain ol' aloe vera gel (not liquid) works great and is odorless.
*In summer, it's hot and I work - mine gets at least rinsed every day - just how it goes. That's what braids and ponytails are for.
She does wear ponytails a lot.
I'll see about the ACV rinse. But I'm guessing I'll get some pushback. Lol. ACV doesn't smell pretty...

If she wants to smell nice get her some coconut milk. :)

I too have that problem. My hair was straight but always thick. Now it is curly! Love older age, not. There is a lot of information if you read about the curly girl method. Not everyones hair can take the same product. She will have to try different products. Some products contain alcohol, this can be drying to some. If it doesnt work, look for protein if that doesnt work, go on to different ingredients. Some need to diffuse hair to dry, some people it makes it worse. Try it and see.
First only wash two times a week, dont comb or brush only with fingers or comb with a big toothed comb on wet hair in the shower. When washing massage shampoo in, dont rub it, that breaks ends. I leave in about 50% of my conditioner. Dont wrap your hair in a towel to dry, flip head over use a microfiber cloth to absorb water in hair by squeezing hair. If Diffusing makes it worse when she gets out of shower take a clip and pin hair up in crazy ways to dry. If the up dry makes it curly, pin together lightly near the neck. Thats how mine does best. When going to bed at night she can put it up in a pineapple and that helps the hair not to get bigger as she sleeps. Its all try this or that, its enough to make you go insane.

Back