NE TN to Ecuador!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinyhandsbigdreams

New Friend
Neighbor
Hiya! I'm new, stumbled here trying to find places with like minded people who might be interested in buying our homestead -- and now I'm deep in reading all ya'll's knowledge and stories!! I'm glad I'm here, whatever got me here.

We're a family of four transitioning from our little acre homestead in NE TN to the mountains of Ecuador! It's an insane process and more than a little scary, but it's going to be amazing! We've turned a boring old house on an acre hill to a fantastic home on a mini homestead and oh boy did we learn a lot along the way. So our next journey is bound to be even more incredible. We're going to head south to build a fully self sustainable off grid farm/community/resort/restaurant with wonderful people on a lush mountain in southern Ecuador. I hope to share all kinds of stories and thoughts from EC!

Glad to be here,
Elizabeth (tinyhandsbigdreams.com)

There was a guy featured on the TV show "Doomsday Preppers" that packed his life in a shipping container and moved to Costa Rica. This is the Youtube channel he setup.

https://youtube.com/c/CostaRicaPrepper
I have lost touch with him but his LinkedIn profile looks like that plan didn't last long.

I hope your adventure works out for you.

Take a lit of pictures and keep us posted.

Ben

A warm welcome from Alaska! As someone who has traveled extensively in Central and South America in the 80s and 90s, Ecuador is indeed a nice location! I am sure you have done your homework and best of luck on your new adventure!

Felicidades, Elizabeth! :)

Seriously, I've good friends / a Client in 'Quito' (the Capital) and have Always enjoyed my biz-trips / working down there, in past.. :cool:

..In fact, we've entertained the Idea of, in fact, Moving down there (and I have the 'data point' of having Moved (Self, plus an entire Household-worth of 'stuff' / Biz-gear, etc) to El Salvador, in CA, there / living there for near 5 yrs, so.. Between That move (and many Biz-trips - with 'stuff' - to Ecuador) do have a clue on 'what to expect', relative to 'Aduana' (customs) etc in moving a Household.. but..

What 'held Me back' from such a decision is - not so much the 'gauntlet' of the Move, itself, but.. The Uncertainty of future Government actions. My Good Friend in Quito (Born / raised there, whole life) knows All Too Well that - at times in the past - the Gov't has been 'Less than amicable'.... Both his parents were gunned down by Gov "police" - on their own doorstep, no less :eek: All because the Father was simply 'publicly outspoken' on heinous / damaging policies being forced down Farmer's throats / livings, etc...

Additionally - to my current-knowledge - personal firearms for SD are Not allowed to be 'Imported', and the Max they'll even Let you have down there - Once a resident / With a 'license', etc - is a 9mm-something, so.. That's certainly 'food for thought', especially when leaving the 'Patron State of Shootin' Stuff'.. :)

..Only Point I'm making is - Be Sure (Imho..) - in All that you / your Family Plans - to have a 'Backup / Escape Plan' - Plan 'Z' if you will - if-ever everything goes to heckfire down there, from Political upheaval - or, even 'outside forces' from another Country (ie: Columbia, etc) which - I know, is sort of 'antithetical' to the Whole Idea of your Move down there, to 'escape' the devolutions going on in This Country, but...

..ie: While it may be Desirable (or perhaps Necessary?) to sell your TN homestead for help in 'funding this all' (especially in Today's unquestionable 'Sellers market') - It Might bear some consideration to Keep it awhile - as that 'Plan Z' - at least until things down there are a 'well oiled machine' / totally stable, etc.. Of course, I'm Not trying to play 'armchair QB', here - You guys know Your situation / finances, etc Best, but.. Just simply a 'Word to the Wise', that is all. :cool:

Oh, and Absolutely - Debes que aprender de comunicar en Español - es indespensible. (You all MUST Learn Spanish (unless you already Know :) it is Really an indespensible skill - and Strategically Important as well, especially down there.. :cool:

Let me know if you need 'help' on a quick way to self-learn it.. 👍

jd

Last edited:
Welcome to here. We are looking forward to your posts. I imagine you will be very busy for a while!

I find your planned transition to Ecuador interesting . I have been pondering an outside the United States fall back survival position . We are already working on our own aircraft piolet and aircraft for evacuation if things should deteriorate to the level of needing to evacuate . Perhaps some sort of survivalist colony for future fugitives from tyranny might be plausible . --- Some on here might consider a financial investment into a out of country bug out position .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back