Neat YouTube video on 18th century sailing battleships

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a show sometimes on the smithsonian channel, Mighty Ships. They've done several shows on old sailing war ships. Just saw an in depth look at 'Ships of the Line', sometimes newer war ships too. They've also covered a few modern cruise ships.

There's a modern 5 mast sailing ship that cruises the med, out of italy i think. You can book passage just like any other cruise. They travel on sail power, various ports of call around the mediterranean. I'd like to go on that ship. A couple of small cruise ships look interesting also. One that visits St. Petersburg (rus), another that travels the fjords around Scandinavia.

I'd never go on one of the big cruise ships. Seems like an endless nightmare on one of those. In every port it seems they are always late leaving because of idiots who can't tell time.

I'd never go on one of the big cruise ships. Seems like an endless nightmare on one of those. In every port it seems they are always late leaving because of idiots who can't tell time.
Me neither. these days you're probably better off visiting a leper colony what with disease outbreaks, people getting washed overboard, nasty food, and rich snobs.

Me neither. these days you're probably better off visiting a leper colony what with disease outbreaks, people getting washed overboard, nasty food, and rich snobs.
I've heard the food is very good. That would be one of the main draws for me (I like good food!) But I don't like crowds. So that downside has won out and I've never personally been on a cruise. But my parents took several over the years, and loved them.

I've heard the food is very good. That would be one of the main draws for me (I like good food!) But I don't like crowds. So that downside has won out and I've never personally been on a cruise. But my parents took several over the years, and loved them.
I keep hearing about food poisoning ever so often, After all, 3-star potato casserole can still culture Botulism. all it takes is a couple of lazy or overworked staff and the toilets all get clog hogged!

Now a three-day coastal, with a reasonable group and few brats, I'm there! Cajun food, good fishing, hot babes in bikinis (OR LESS!) and a full bar, yeah. all about that now!

The cruise ships take the preponderance of funds from all the fishing charters or tours. They also get a kickback from the tourist shops. If they ever badmouth a tourist shop you can be pretty sure that the ship isn't getting a kickback.

I’ve spent 6 years of my life on ships going to sea. Being on a boat at sea has no allure for me anymore. Unless it has really big guns and missiles, now that was always interesting. "Wanna cross the atlantic on a boat and blow something up? Sure! Why not!!" 🤣

Now i’d only be interested in the small ships. They stop at better ports, places not over run with herds of tourists. That was true in the navy too. We (destroyer) stopped at much better ports than carriers. An air craft carrier could triple the population of ports we stopped at, not enough taxis on the island for that many people, or bars. Hey, sailors... 😁

Some of the really small cruise ships sound interesting. Sailing inland and coastal waters. That's the best part… seeing new places from the water. It’s neat, a different perspective, something I always enjoyed.
----------------------

But back to the op… I can’t imagine being on a war ship in the 1700’s. It’s a floating powder keg with a sail! While being a target!!! Modern war ships are a tad bit safer, at least the odds of blowing ourselves up was smaller.

During the revolution a brit ship of the line had 100+ cannon and a crew of 800… on a ship less than 200ft long!!! There wasn’t room for everyone to sleep at the same time. Every one would have been hot bunking (except the brass). So much for privacy! But if there was a fire that many guys could put it out.. :rolleyes:

And, these ships had all the loose gun powder needed to fire those guns repeatedly. What could possibly go wrong with that! :oops: Then… I’ve been close to large naval guns firing… The noise on that ship would have been incredible, noise you can feel in your teeth and spine… beyond deafening… After the first salvo no one could hear a thing. And the smoke, eyes burning from cordite, blind at that point too!!! All while some guys on another boat are shooting back!!!

On a modern war ship... probably never know you got hit. Those sailors got to be deaf, dumb and blind for a few hours first. :(

Last edited:
I have a couple of star shot. These are projectiles made for cannon. these are cylinders of lead quartered the long way with steel rods protruding from each. There are rings bent in each rod and all four are connected with another ring. When fired the lead spreads out in a star pattern.

They are designed to take out sails and rigging. Your enemy can neither maneuver nor flee. You can then stand off and proceed as you desire. If you wish to capture a ship this shot leaves you with a ship and cargo that is marketable. If you are trying to flee from a faster and larger ship, this option could slow them down quickly.

Latest posts

Back