Neatfi LED Magnifier Lamp

Discussion in 'Product reviews' started by Peanut, May 15, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 15, 2019 #1

Peanut

Peanut

Peanut

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Its actually a Neatfi Bifocals, 1,200 lumens, Super LED Manifier Lamp. It uses less than 14watts. (will somebody explain to me what the heck is a "lumens", a lemon gone bad perhaps...) :D

Sort of an odd look into my life. As I’ve mentioned in several other threads, I was trained from a child to think outside the box.

I have a recommendation for other folks who might be disabled like me or like most of last year… be half blind with cataracts.

About 2010 I found lamps on articulating swing arms. They had a 5x magnifying lens in the center. I think I paid about $100 for the first one I bought. I attached it to my kitchen table. I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. If I got mail, I didn’t need to wander around the house looking for my glasses. I could sit at my kitchen table, swing my lamp over my mail and use the magnifying lens. I could pay bills or repair some small item and when finished I could push the lamp back out of the way. Not only was the arm articulated in 3 locations it also swiveled on its base, a small clamp.

In late 2013 the specialty florescent bulbs were shot. I discovered there were no replacement bulbs. Because this lamp was so useful in my situation, I replaced it, in fact, I bought 2 of them. One for the kitchen table and one for the end table by my chair, again so useful if you have mobility or vision issues.

I could get replacement bulbs for these lamps… In late 2017 I had to use my last two other replacement bulbs… I searched the internet for days. I couldn’t find anyone who sold the replacement bulbs… My health issues were quite serious at the time. I had no more energy to spend on the issue.

Last week the only bulb in the lamp by my chair failed. I went to the big internet box store to see about a new lamp. Duh! I quickly realized why I could not find replacement florescent bulbs…

ALL the new lamps have LED lights!

The first pic is the old-style lamp with florescent bulb that will burn out soon. It’s on my kitchen table. The second pic is the new lamp with LED lights. It has a 5-position switch, off, on, brighter, brighter still and really bright.

It also has 2 magnifying lenses, one is 5x and a tiny round one is 20x. You might can see the 1-inch diameter circle in the lens.

I got my 2 new lamps this afternoon. Since the one on the kitchen table still works, I’ll use it until the bulb burns out.

The new lamps are half the weight of the old ones, much easier to move and position… and they will use less power.

This is outside the box, not what you would normally see in a living room or kitchen but these lamps are better than sliced bread if you are disabled or have vision issues or any kind of physical issue.

The new lamps were $85 each, 2x w/tax about $185. I highly recommend them.

One more bit… At night the only 2 lights are on in my house... The lamp on the kitchen table (it burns 24/7) and my flat screen tv. If I need to see the buttons on my remote, I just pull my lamp over, turn it on, press the right buttons on the remote, turn off the lamp and push it back out of the way. Easy Peasy!

lamp old_v1.jpg lamp zew_v1.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Terri9630 and Caribou like this.
  2. May 15, 2019 #2

AdmiralD7S

AdmiralD7S

AdmiralD7S

Senior Voice of Reason Neighbor HCL Supporter

Lumen is the unit of how much visible light something emits per some unit time. Your discovery of fluorescent vs LED bulbs is the perfect example to explain it!

When an object emits "light", it almost always emits multiple wavelengths/colors. That is to say, your fluorescent lightbulb emits photons that are "blue", "green", "purple", etc...all of which is within the range of human vision. In addition, the lightbulb also emits photons in the short, mid, and long wave infrared sprctrum... which is outside the range of human vision. In fact, that fluorescent lightbulb emits what is called broadband radiation, meaning "all" wavelengths. You can only see a tiny bit of the radiant energy it's putting out.

Now, your LED is NOT a broadband source. It emits light only in a very narrow spectral region. However, the energy that it puts out in that region (i.e., in the visible band) is equal to the energy the fluorescent bulb out out in its visible band...but the LED did it without pumping out a bunch of energy/heat into wavelengths we can't see.

So, your 17 watt LED puts out the same amount of visible light (same amount of lumens) as your, say, 60 watt fluorescent bulb. That's why the packaging will say that something is "equivalent to a xx watt bulb"...because, from a practical, it is.

If the concept of light wavelength being out of human range is confusing, just pretend we were talking sound. Humans hear 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, roughly. The fluorescent "shouts" 60 watts worth of energy spread out evenly between 1 Hz and 100,000 Hz (most of which you can't hear), which the LED shoots 17 watts between, say, 15 Hz and 30,000 Hz...but they will both sound exactly the same to you because the "loudness in your audible range" (the "lumens") is the same in both cases.

Hope that helps explain what lumens are, but ask away if I didnt explain that well.

Caribou, Meerkat and Bacpacker like this.
  3. Jun 15, 2019 #3

Meerkat

Meerkat

Meerkat

I'm no big fan of LED lighting. I hear it can damage the eyes too.

4. Jun 15, 2019 #4

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

LED lighting is typically blended frequencies that are as close to sunlight in the visual spectrum as you can get. It also comes in other colors for specific purposes. Grow lights, for plants to provide the specific colors they need; mood lights, that have a warm yellow color like candles; Red lights that are for vision in the dark that doesn't give you the "flash bulb" spots when you turn it off.

Most LED lights don't provide any UV that harms your eyes and they don't appear to flicker like fluorescent and arc lights do. Arc and fluorescent lights also produce a lot of UV that is harmful.
    There are LED lights that produce UV or IR light but they are used for specific purposes and are typically more expensive than the ones you use for general lighting.

Any light, if it is bright enough can injure the eye with prolonged exposure but the typical LED light is no more harmful than the old incandescent lights that were used for a century to light homes all over the world. They are considerably less expensive over their lifetime than any other light.

Caribou and Terri9630 like this.